News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How the he** ........

Started by Charger4404spd, March 06, 2014, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Ok I got some new bearings for the Dana axles, only problem is I cant get the dang sleeves to come off. :brickwall: Tried pry bars, punches, even heat..... they wont budge :brickwall:

Is there a trick to get these off?

cdr

if you are talking about the bearing retainer,the thick ring that is pressed on after the bearing,  i take a cut off wheel & cut it, but be careful to not cut the axle.

i cut almost all the way through then get a chisel & hit whith hammer & it will split
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger4404spd

That crossed my mind, thanks, I will go that route :2thumbs:

sanders7981

Quote from: cdr on March 06, 2014, 04:26:15 PM
if you are talking about the bearing retainer,the thick ring that is pressed on after the bearing,  i take a cut off wheel & cut it, but be careful to not cut the axle.

i cut almost all the way through then get a chisel & hit whith hammer & it will split

^^^ This....  Did the same thing and worked like a charm!

Ghoste

Yep, you need to cut it.  Carefully!

Charger4404spd

That worked, had to also cut into the bearing, now I am left with the inner bearing shell, and its TIGHT....

Cooter

All that bearing stuff is pressed on with a press. Unless you have access to one, you can get em off, but you can't install new ones.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger4404spd

My buddy has a nice press in his shop :2thumbs:

375instroke

FSM shows splitting it with a chisel.

sanders7981

^ yep.... Grind and chisel it. 

terrible one

Quote from: 375instroke on April 04, 2014, 01:55:29 AM
FSM shows splitting it with a chisel.

That is how I did it, no grinding required/ no risk of damaging the axle.

You take a large chisel and smack it HARD on one side, then turn it over and do the same to the opposite side. If you can picture it in your head, you are turning it into an oval on a micro scale. Then you take it over to the press and press that joker off  :2thumbs: