News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some cam help..

Started by ChargerST, April 03, 2014, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

Need some help for selecting a new cam for my 70 Charger.

Here is what I have:

440 with 915 heads = higher than stock compression (no exact figure though).
3.23 SG rear end (won't change since I do some long distance trips)
intake: Holley Street Dominator or Edelbrock Performer RPM
carb: Quickfuel 750 vacuum secondary or 850 Thermoquad
rockers: Max Wedge adjustable BB rocker arms (1.45 I guess)
cheap headers
current cam: Mopar .509
A-833 4-speed (2.66 first) tranny

Should I go for an off the shelf cam or a custom cam? Any recommendations?

Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

With a 4 speed the 509 will be fun but the gear will hurt it a little. The fact that you already have adjustable valvetrain makes me want to reccomend a comp xs282 solid. That will be a dramatic improvement and is still mild.

Dino

Quote from: ChargerST on April 03, 2014, 08:28:47 AM
Need some help for selecting a new cam for my 70 Charger.

Here is what I have:

440 with 915 heads = higher than stock compression (no exact figure though).
3.23 SG rear end (won't change since I do some long distance trips)
intake: Holley Street Dominator or Edelbrock Performer RPM
carb: Quickfuel 750 vacuum secondary or 850 Thermoquad
rockers: Max Wedge adjustable BB rocker arms (1.45 I guess)
cheap headers
current cam: Mopar .509
A-833 4-speed (2.66 first) tranny

Should I go for an off the shelf cam or a custom cam? Any recommendations?

Thanks

How do you use your car?  What's a typical drive look like?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

firefighter3931

With the 3.23 gears i'd probably go a little more concervatative on the duration ; Comp xs274s solid flat tappet grind. This one won't cause any retainer to guide clearance issues while the xs282s would require the guides to be trimmed down. I recommended this cam to Chuck (Skip68) who wanted to replace the 509 and he loved it. Chucky was also running 3.23 gears.

The Street Dominator is one of my favorites and it's low enough to clear the stock hood. For the carb i would definately consider a double pumper in the 750cfm range.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ChargerST

Not much quarter mile action, usually just cruising around town with some stop light action and freeway driving.
Ron, I know you like double pumpers but since I already got a vacuum secondary carb (Quickfuel 750) with an adjustable vacuum pod I think it should work well (setting could be on the fast engagement side).

firefighter3931

The QF 750 vac sec carb is fine....won't be as responsive as a double pumper but if you allready have it you can certainly make it work with some tuning  :2thumbs:

If you didn't have one allready....my first choice would be a DP carb  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ChargerST

I'll see how it works..I can always change it if needed.

Would a custom grind give me an advantage over an off the shelf grind? The combination 4-speed and 3.23 is not the most common I think..

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerST on April 04, 2014, 01:27:06 AM
I'll see how it works..I can always change it if needed.

Would a custom grind give me an advantage over an off the shelf grind? The combination 4-speed and 3.23 is not the most common I think..

The off the shelf grinds are fine for your combo.  :2thumbs:

Ron