News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Msd efi on sale

Started by lasvegas69charg, April 01, 2014, 08:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/2900/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Has anybody use this kit. It's the full kit and doesn't require a return line. $2k shipped. I did a search and didn't come up with anything.  From what I heard, its supposed to be one of the easiest complete kits to install.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

polywideblock

I've been watching them for a while  :yesnod:  but  I am still waiting for someone to do a review of  it . don't read the "other " rags  just the mopar ones so might have missed it   :shruggy:  

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

It can be hard to trust the magazine articles. They may get these kits FREE in exchange for ad space in the magazine. You'll read them praise and brag about how good the system is, how easy to install and all that. It is hard to be impartial when they are lining your pockets.
This MSD kit may be great. No offense meant to the OP or MSD.

cdr

it works very well.but you have to build a return fuel system for it o work properly.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

flyinlow

That's tempting.  No more priming the carb after a five day sit,smoother idle, timing thru the 6AL box and electric fan control.

My concerns: Dependability with an external fuel pump/W return. My carb has never stranded me. Also MSD is in bankruptcy, will they be around for support?  ...Hope so.

myk

Keep the 'carb, add an electric fuel pump.  No more fuel system priming necessary...

flyinlow

Quote from: myk on April 02, 2014, 10:20:04 AM
Keep the 'carb, add an electric fuel pump.  No more fuel system priming necessary...
Quote from: myk on April 02, 2014, 10:20:04 AM

Yea, thats been on my list of things to do for a while.

lasvegas69charg

I just read the 28 page manual and it seems very straight forward. With the heat here in Vegas I'm on the fence in regards to the return less line. One other feature I like is that it compensates for Ac.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

cdr

ok so you ask for an opinion about the msd efi, IF YOU DONT PUT A RETURN SYSTEM ON ,,,IT WILL BURN UP THE PUMP,DID YOU NOT READ THE LINK I PUT UP???????????????????????????????

lasvegas69charg

The kit is a return less set up. To find out if you need a return line you have to fill out a questionnaire to determine if you need a return or return less set up. After I filled out the questionnaire my score is a 4.  Anything below a 5 recommends a return line. My neighbor has the set up installed on his Camaro and he is returning less. So far he has no problems, but he hasn't drove it in 110 deg yet.
Also on the initial set up you state if it's return or return less which makes the pump either continuous or pulses. Now of course if you state continuous and it's a return less set up then you would burn the pump.
Here is a link to the form to determine return or return less:

http://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=15032386226

From the manual:
The following details pertain to the fuel system requirements. Installation steps specific to the fuel system are covered in the Fuel Pump Kits supplied separately from the Atomic TBI, PN 2910, Kit. The Atomic TBI requires a high pressure fuel pump system. Depending on your engine combination, the Atomic TBI requires a minimum of 42-48 psi to operate and it can be used with a return or returnless fuel system. When selecting a pump, regulator and lines, be sure each component is designed to perform at high pressure. MSD offers a fuel pump, hose and accessories to complete your installation. Following are some guidelines in helping set up a fuel system for your Atomic as well as components available separately from MSD.
• The Atomic is capable of operating with a return or returnless style system. For best results, MSD strongly recommends an in-tank pump. Installing the fuel pump in the tank results in quieter operation, less chance of cavitation and a reduction in pump temperature.
• When running a returnless fuel system (Pulse Width Modulated), it is strongly recommended to install the pump in the tank. It is recommended to use an MSD Atomic Fuel Pump, PN 2925 or PN 2926.
• If mounting the pump in the tank is not an option, install the pump as close as possible to the tank. Within 2-feet of sending unit is recommended.
• Do NOT use hard line when plumbing the fuel system. When using a PWM fuel system, cavitation could cause unstable fuel pressure resulting in poor engine performance.
• When used, an adjustable regulator must be installed on the return side of the throttle body.

cdr

THE CAR IN THE LINK we had to replace 2 pumps ,it was set up returnless.

lasvegas69charg

Cdr was it the msd atomic efi installed on the car?  How MSD makes it a return less system is by pulsing the fuel pump instead of being continuous.

cdr

yes it is the msd.when set up as a non return it makes the pump be pulse modulated,there is a pressure sensor in the throttle body.

lasvegas69charg

Cdr you are so CORRECT. The pump died after 2 hours of driving. But WOW what a difference versus my old carb set up. I will never go back to carb. Looks like I need a in-tank fuel pump. Did you go return with the in-tank setup you have?  Btw the msd was so easy to install. 6 hours and I was driving. Hydro boost and efi is the best mods I have ever done to her.

lasvegas69charg

I actually found a in-tank pump that will work with the stock gas tank
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/18688/10002/-1

Has anybody used one?

twenty mike mike

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on May 21, 2014, 10:53:30 PM
I actually found a in-tank pump that will work with the stock gas tank
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/18688/10002/-1

Has anybody used one?

I don't see how that's going to work...2nd Gen fuel tanks are flush against the bottom of the trunk floor (with a pad in between), and the instructions show a large flange sticking up from the top of the tank. What am I missing?

CDR's tank from Hot Rod City is the best installation I've seen, particularly if you want to have a returnless system.

lasvegas69charg

After trying to find a way for the stealth pump to work I opted for the hot rod city garage tank. The only way the stealth pump would work is to cut access panel in the trunk and I didn't want to cut.

flyinlow

I was looking at the Edelbrock sump. Retains stock tank and fuel pump. the high presure pump is in the sump which is kept full with the stock engine driven pump.   :shruggy:

One advantage would be on a road trip if something quit on the EFI. You could reinstall a carb in a short time and be on your way, assuming you brought your old carb with you.

DENNYSCARS

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on April 02, 2014, 10:05:48 PM
The kit is a return less set up. To find out if you need a return line you have to fill out a questionnaire to determine if you need a return or return less set up. After I filled out the questionnaire my score is a 4.  Anything below a 5 recommends a return line. My neighbor has the set up installed on his Camaro and he is returning less. So far he has no problems, but he hasn't drove it in 110 deg yet.
Also on the initial set up you state if it's return or return less which makes the pump either continuous or pulses. Now of course if you state continuous and it's a return less set up then you would burn the pump.
Here is a link to the form to determine return or return less:

http://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=15032386226

From the manual:
The following details pertain to the fuel system requirements. Installation steps specific to the fuel system are covered in the Fuel Pump Kits supplied separately from the Atomic TBI, PN 2910, Kit. The Atomic TBI requires a high pressure fuel pump system. Depending on your engine combination, the Atomic TBI requires a minimum of 42-48 psi to operate and it can be used with a return or returnless fuel system. When selecting a pump, regulator and lines, be sure each component is designed to perform at high pressure. MSD offers a fuel pump, hose and accessories to complete your installation. Following are some guidelines in helping set up a fuel system for your Atomic as well as components available separately from MSD.
• The Atomic is capable of operating with a return or returnless style system. For best results, MSD strongly recommends an in-tank pump. Installing the fuel pump in the tank results in quieter operation, less chance of cavitation and a reduction in pump temperature.
• When running a returnless fuel system (Pulse Width Modulated), it is strongly recommended to install the pump in the tank. It is recommended to use an MSD Atomic Fuel Pump, PN 2925 or PN 2926.
• If mounting the pump in the tank is not an option, install the pump as close as possible to the tank. Within 2-feet of sending unit is recommended.
• Do NOT use hard line when plumbing the fuel system. When using a PWM fuel system, cavitation could cause unstable fuel pressure resulting in poor engine performance.
• When used, an adjustable regulator must be installed on the return side of the throttle body.

I have the system you are referring to on my 68 Charger 383.  You WILL have to use the return line system for this to work correctly.  I am in Florida and the MSD pump will not work right when it gets hot.  I was a bit hacked off when the problems started and they said I had to add a return line with a regulator.  I still had issues with their pump and went with an TREperformance inline pump with an Aeromotive regulator.  The very BEST way to avoid fuel delivery issues is to use an in-tank pump.

lasvegas69charg

I just ordered the fuel tank from hot rod city garage. It comes with a in tank fuel pump and sending unit.

CDR do you have it set up as a return or returnless?

chargd72

If you are seriously considering spending the money on EFI, I would look into the FAST system.  Same price, handles much more horsepower and can be programmed much easier for NOS or boosted applications.  Plus it's a non ported injector setup so manifolds are readily available. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger