News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Find my dream car

Started by emel, March 30, 2014, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emel

Hi!
My name is Mikael, im from Sweden.
The 1970 Charger has always been my favourite car, and as i just go my very own garage the serach to find one is on. My "dream" is to travel to the states and buy one, maby restore of needed and then ship to Sweden.

how likely am i to find a car with the following spec as the pictures show. pink/purple = must have option. Yellow = a great plus if the car has that option.
and if you guess, how much does a car in fair/good condition costs? as long as the car is rust free and complete and running it is ok.

regards Mikael

Montclaire

You have to realize that these cars were built nearly 45 years ago.  Some combinations were one-of-one, or one-of-five.  You may have to search a while to find what you are looking for if you want a car that was coded that way from the factory.  You are also going to have to spend some serious money for a real R/T or SE in a hi-impact color. 

cudaken

how likely am i to find a car with the following spec as the pictures show. pink/purple = must have option. Yellow = a great plus if the car has that option.
and if you guess, how much does a car in fair/good condition costs? as long as the car is rust free and complete and running it is ok.

About the same odds of me losing 150 pounds over night and not had anything cut off!

While there are some rust free Chargers, as a whole they are rust buckets waiting to happen. I tell folks R/T on my Charger stood for Rusted / Trash! I swear, only thing that did not rust was the glass!

If you found a totally rust free 70 with high impact color and HP options, on the low side $60,000 and up. Rust free is going to be the hard part.

If it did not rust, it is not a Mopar!  :lol:

Cuda Ken
I am back

F8-4life

The car your looking for does not seem too rare.
Lets see, you outline a 1970 RT/SE.
Its going to have a 440 already, most likely an auto trans and vinyl top too.
Being a RT/SE car, it is also going to be a good chance it will be nicely optioned from the factory.

1974dodgecharger

by any chance can you go ahead and go down to your dodge dealership and just order it instead of find a used one?????  It might cost you a little more, but you get what you want plus it will be brand new instead of used.  :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

that was just perfect Ken , Now i know what the RT stood for on mine as well , rusty trash  :smilielol:, im going to use that for ever now 

hatersaurusrex

Mine's not an R/T - XP stands for Xtra Penetration - of rust.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

daveco

Hello Mikael,
Welcome to the forum.
To find the car you seek, especially without rust, will cost a lot of money.
When considered in the long term, buying an already restored car will be the better value.

This car apparently is no longer available, but does offer some idea as to cost:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger-RT-SE-440-V8-/131142640258?forcerrptr=true&item=131142640258&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e88b5e282&nma=true&si=VGUsSEDtc%252FcXlt1KK0bZqxsg4BQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

R/Tree

six-tee-nine

Hi there and welcome.
I'm on the same side of the atlantic as you are....

As exciting as it can be it can be a long game to find the right one. Whatever you do, dont buy the first one you find if it is'nt 100% your thing.
I see you want power windows in your wish list. That could get a bit tough.

I'd say personally choose a modelyear of your taste and go ahead. If you want plum crazy or yellow go ahead. Minimal rust is on top of the list for everyone but only goes as far as the budget. (low budget = much rust and vice versa).....

If you look for an unrestored car then they all have rust unless you find a real good survivor but these are rare.
I personally would not turn down on a red or white car in real good condition just because i want a plum crazy one.
Lots of parts for options like power windows can be found and added afterwards. OK this way they wont be on your fender tag, but its all a matter of personal taste...

About pricing, I guess a good $20k will get you somewhere, but if you want a numbers matching RT or RT/SE you need to add more cash ...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hawkeye

Welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately an inexpensive, rust free car, is very hard to find and the 70's make it harder yet because of their low production numbers.  It will help a lot if you are not concerned about it being a numbers car (clone).  I would not rule our any car just because it lacks a particular option, just do your research and I am sure you will find something that will work for you (there were only 47 cars built with the headlight delay option).  I am afraid it will cost somewhere in the low to mid 30's.  Believe it or not, half the fun is finding/fixing up your new car.  Be sure and post an ad in the cars wanted section of this forum. Good luck and happy hunting.  P.S.  You can't put a console and a buddy seat on the same car.

hemi68charger

Welcome Mikael,

Yeap, '70's are pretty nice........

If you don't know already, there's a '70 Charger forum as well.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/

Have fun, learn and hopefully find a project to work on......

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Challenger340

In my opinion only.... and as stated previously,
A rust-free, R/T SE optioned 1970 Charger, in a high impact color, will be difficult to find still surviving in the wild, and will probably cost substantially money to purchase as I am sure you are aware.

That said,
never say NEVER !
They ARE out there, sometimes where you would least expect to find one, away from larger urban areas and the limelight, sitting in garages, unadvertised.

I would advise anyone looking... to start canvassing small town local newspapers(published weekly) with WANTED ads as a good start... and stay away from the Internet and Dealers, the well beaten path where EVERYBODY else looks as well, "Get away from the Herd".

Only wimps wear Bowties !

emel

Thanks alot for all the answers, and sorry for the slow replay.

well, ill see what you all have write, and maybe i was unclear, color doesent matter, it can always be stripped and repainted :)
and matching numbers are not necessary.

as some of you said, options can always be added later, as long as its original stuff, numbers on tag is not important.
PS,BP,PW isnt it all the same option, you get all in one packade?

my price range is somwhere between 40 000-50 000 USD.

right now i have a nice rust free 1970 el camino SS396. i need to sell that one before buying a charger so i gather as much info as possible meanwhile.

ACUDANUT

If you want a 4-speed, add more money. :Twocents:

cudaken

right now i have a nice rust free 1970 el camino SS396. i need to sell that one before buying a charger so i gather as much info as possible meanwhile.

Mikael, well I see you have a vintage muscle car, or is it a truck?  :scratchchin: So you know something about older vehicles.

One thing I will worn you about, if a Chevy part cost say $100.00 US, that same Charger part is going to cost you $300 to $400 for the same part! Mopar is not cheap!  :brickwall: If you need a grill, a real nice one $2500 or so.

With you having a 396 all ready, I would start with a 318. That way you will not scare your self!  :D

OK, I am kidding I think? :scratchchin: :lol:

Cuda Ken
I am back

F8-4life

The pink/purple/yellow reference is about the highlight marks on the article.
I don't think he is talking about high impact colors.

hawkeye

[/quote]  That much money will get you a very nice one.  Just be patient.

emel

thanks for replay again  :)

that i didn't know Mopar was so much more expensive.

i just want a factory R/T SE car with my options that are pink/purple, the rest is just i bonus.

hope its not impossible to find a car like that.
where can i read how many cars where build in 1970 with the different options? so i can get a picure of how common/uncommon some options are.

cheers!

ACUDANUT

So it's down to pink/purple ? I thought the color did not matter ?

TPR

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 07, 2014, 01:39:05 PM
So it's down to pink/purple ? I thought the color did not matter ?

This is getting confusing. I think F8-4life is correct in his post above:

"The pink/purple/yellow reference is about the highlight marks on the article.
I don't think he is talking about high impact colors."

I thought Emel was talking about color too. Which would make it a VERY difficult car to find.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: emel on April 07, 2014, 01:36:28 PM
thanks for replay again  :)

where can i read how many cars where build in 1970 with the different options? so i can get a picure of how common/uncommon some options are.

Welcome!  You can get all the numbers you need from the link mentioned below.  I think that price range could be done.  A six pack or hemi would increase that a LOT, also if you did really want a panther pink car.  I see that was just your highlighted options as well.  Good luck in your search!  70's rule!

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 04, 2014, 07:53:38 AM
If you don't know already, there's a '70 Charger forum as well.  

http://1970chargerregistry.com/

cudaken

Mikael, just to give you a idea I looked at Summit Racing for a Cheap Piston.

396 Cast Piston $39.99 each.
383 Cast Piston $54.99 each.

Both pistons are by seal power and there cheapest listed. While not quit as much as I posted above but still way more than Chevy's. Some parts will be 2 to 3 times more.

But, they are worth it! I been driving Mopar for 41 years now and I have never regretted it for a minute! Well, maybe when I am paying for the parts?  :scratchchin: :lol:

Got my 68 Road Runner when I was 17 and still have it 41 years later so they must be good!  :2thumbs:

Ken

I am back

ACUDANUT

Quote from: emel on April 06, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
Thanks alot for all the answers, and sorry for the slow replay.

well, ill see what you all have write, and maybe i was unclear, color doesent matter, it can always be stripped and repainted :)
and matching numbers are not necessary.

as some of you said, options can always be added later, as long as its original stuff, numbers on tag is not important.
PS,BP,PW isnt it all the same option, you get all in one packade?

You contradict yourself.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: emel on April 07, 2014, 01:36:28 PM
thanks for replay again  :)

i just want a factory R/T SE car with my options that are pink/purple, the rest is just i bonus.

hope its not impossible to find a car like that.

cheers!

okay

hawkeye

ACUDANUT ,  you need to cut the guy a little slack.  What he meant was "I just want a factory R/T SE car with my options that are (HIGHLIGHTED IN THE) pink/purple, the rest is just is bonus".  English is his 2nd or third language so I think he did a wonderful job of making himself understood.

emel

Quote from: hawkeye on April 08, 2014, 06:53:59 AM
ACUDANUT ,  you need to cut the guy a little slack.  What he meant was "I just want a factory R/T SE car with my options that are (HIGHLIGHTED IN THE) pink/purple, the rest is just is bonus".  English is his 2nd or third language so I think he did a wonderful job of making himself understood.

Exactly!
i know that my english is bad and my spelling and grammar is incorrect and i apologize for that. i do my best in the future to be more correct.

Thanks.

six-tee-nine

you're doing fine.....

If we all had to start writing and explaining ourselves in Swedish this topic would be dead in a split second

BTW keep an eye on the classifieds here. More Chargers for sale than anywhere else and with some luck it's a member or someone known wich can be a benefit
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

ACUDANUT

I am sorry, if my post was considered impolite. I was just trying to figure out what you wanted. Cheers mate.  :cheers:

Chargerguy74

I understood the guy just fine. Good luck in your search! Hope you find something with most of your yellow highlights, if not all of them.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

cudaken

Mikael grammar and spelling is better than mine! Thank Goodness for Spell Check!  :lol: 
I am back

emel

Thank you all for replay, i will be back when i have sold my el camino and the hunt for a charger is seriously ongoing.

hopefully i see a lot of chargers when i visit the worlds larger american car meet. called "power big meet" that happends to be in a small town in sweden just 4 hours drive from here.

http://bigmeet.com/

to bad i only have room for one car in my garage :(