News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8/34 center section question

Started by DoubleDlover, April 04, 2014, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

I was wondering. would a 67 cononet 8/34 pumpkin be the same as a 70 cononet? would it drop in and work? Or is there to many differences? thasnks

cudaken

Far as I know, 8 3/4 centers will interchange. But some castings are better than others.

Cuda Ken
I am back

c00nhunterjoe

They will all swap. Check the numbers near the pinion. Last 3 will be 489, 742, or 741. Stay away from the 741. They are smLler pinions. Why are you swapping?

John_Kunkel

The only thing that might affect interchangeability in those years is the yoke, some used the 7260 u-joint and some used the 7290 (and some '67's used Spicer.)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Windsor

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 04, 2014, 04:54:11 PM
They will all swap. Check the numbers near the pinion. Last 3 will be 489, 742, or 741. Stay away from the 741. They are smLler pinions. Why are you swapping?

Don't some people say the 741 is as strong as a 9"?

fy469rtse

67 it will most likely be a 741 , 742 the later and stronger, but I like them with out the crush sleeve to pinion, which the later 489 case has
Are you swapping out for a reason , traclock  centre , the earlier ones had the better centres

RallyeMike

Someone show me a photo from a broken 741 that wasnt a drag car. They are fine.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

When they do break it isn't the stem that breaks.

fy469rtse

Yep what John said, weak point is the housing itself, bracing them helps them survive,

Cooter

People say the "741" (smallest/weakest) is weak, but I've run 6.80's 8th mile on one.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

All im saying is if you are shopping for one, then get a 742 or 489. Dont the 741's have less variety of aftermarket parts?

TUFCAT

Quote from: Cooter on April 07, 2014, 08:28:34 AM
People say the "741" (smallest/weakest) is weak, but I've run 6.80's 8th mile on one.

:iagree:  The 741 was underneath all early high powered Mopars until the new 742 found its way into he 63-64 Max Wedge, and 1965 Race Hemi lightweight cars. There hasn't been a whole lot of historical negativity about the pumpkins being a week link in those applications... In fact, I think Chrysler corporate axles were always better the competition.  By the time Ford came out with their "famed" 9-inch or GM's 12-bolt - Chrysler has already upped their game with Dana's for 4-speeders, and the new for 1969 489 case for HP automatics.  Ford had GM had to play catch up to create something that would grenade under the increasing torque of the late 60's big blocks.  :Twocents: :Twocents:  

John_Kunkel

Actually, the large-stem pinion dates back to the fifties but the housings had different casting numbers. 741 and 742 were 657 and 985.