News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car hauler trailer, vehicle tie down straps

Started by Paul G, March 18, 2014, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I am looking for some tie down straps to keep with a car hauler trailer a friend owns. He owns the car hauler trailer, but does not have any straps to tie the car down with. I found some axle type straps on Ebay that come as a set of four, 8' long ratchet style straps, 2" wide, they have flat hooks with the keeper, and a sliding "D" ring to latch on to. I gues the method is to wrap around the axle and tie off to the "D" ring, then ratchet it tight.

Is 8' long enough? Anyone have a preference on strap style??

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Aero426

What you are talking about will work fine.    I wrap the rears around the axle housing, or the leaf spring.     Some people will suggest you cross the the rear straps in an X pattern and that is fine as well.   My straps are longer than 8' and are 10,000 lb capacity.    Any place that has trailer stuff will have the straps.    You will also want two for the front of the car.

I have both of these kinds. (J hook or snap hook is fine).

J hook: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200344936_200344936

Snap hook: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200448639_200448639

Troy

I have ones like the second link Aero426 posted. Mine are black with 10,000 pound capacity. I hook the fronts around the front arms of the K frame and the rears over the axle (not crossed). My trailer is 20' long with loops at each corner (not D rings in the bed) and I have plenty of room to strap down every car I own (B and E bodies, pickup trucks, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Paul G

Found these on Ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140384323845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The price is right if they are not junk. I have seen many holes in the frame torn like a sardine can from being hooked and tied down. Maybe pulled to tight, or the car bouncing around tears it, I dont know. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Steve P.

Hey Paul, do you have a TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY nearby? They have 10K pound straps as described above. 2" wide for a very reasonable price. They also have the axle straps that loop around the axle with V rings on both ends and have a padded sleeve. I have both styles. Also I have an additional 27 foot long or maybe longer, strap I use for everything short and long distance...

Look at the quality of the ratchets before buying anything. I saw an ad for straps that looked great in the picture, but in hand were total garbage. I wouldn't strap down a lawn mower with them.. TSC also carries E-Track and their accessories and many other trailer and hold down devices. 15k D rings as well....

Today I see many people using the TIRE WEB hold down straps. They work well also and are great for especially low speed or in town use. I much prefer knowing the car is locked to the trailer and I really put the 10K straps to full use...  
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Aero426

Quote from: Steve P. on March 19, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
They also have the axle straps that loop around the axle with V rings on both ends and have a padded sleeve.

I use these often.  They work well.

Steve P.

I was just looking on Summit and cannot find the equal straps to what I have.

They have these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g7955/overview/  but these are lighter duty.

I don't use anything under 5000 pound working strength. I cannot begin to tell you how many idiots do what they can to put you in a bad position on the road. So I am overly cautious always.  Brakes on both axles. Everything over duty. Only I didn't go to heavier springs and axles as I had originally wanted to because the trailer place that I buy from and trust questioned me on what I haul normally and suggested I stay with what I have.. They could easily sold me 4 springs, two axles and a set of 4 tires and wheels.. They went over my trailer and told me it is one of the best builds they have seen... They do not sell the same brand or even a trailer equal to it. So I trust them literally with my life.

Everything I have on my trailer, (not the winch), is what they recommended and with all good reasoning.

This is a pretty good deal. I like that the straps have their own bag to keep them together and clean and out of the mouths of varmints.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-29-0012/overview/
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bill440rt

Like others said, make sure they have an adequate weight rating & check out the handles, hooks, etc. 10000lbs each strap is a good start.

I also have ones with the axle straps. I have several types like the ones with the axle loop strap built into the tie down, and also the separate axle strap with the loops on the ends that click to the main tie down strap. The integral ones I would use on the rear, and the separate loops I would use up front. I crossed them also into an X when tying it down.

Since then I went with an E-track with the tire straps instead. They work well & I feel there is less tension on the strap itself from being stretched on moving suspension parts.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Paul G

Quote from: Steve P. on March 19, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
Hey Paul, do you have a TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY nearby? They have 10K pound straps as described above. 2" wide for a very reasonable price. They also have the axle straps that loop around the axle with V rings on both ends and have a padded sleeve. I have both styles. Also I have an additional 27 foot long or maybe longer, strap I use for everything short and long distance...

Look at the quality of the ratchets before buying anything. I saw an ad for straps that looked great in the picture, but in hand were total garbage. I wouldn't strap down a lawn mower with them.. TSC also carries E-Track and their accessories and many other trailer and hold down devices. 15k D rings as well....

Today I see many people using the TIRE WEB hold down straps. They work well also and are great for especially low speed or in town use. I much prefer knowing the car is locked to the trailer and I really put the 10K straps to full use...   

There is a Tractor Supply in the valley, just not close, same for Harbor Freight. I have become a mail order person these days. Much rather order from Summit, Ebay, just about anywhere that would keep me out of a store. I have no patience anymore. People, and traffic, tend to just irritate the hell out of me. Id rather stay in my garage and wait for the brown truck to stop by and leave me goodies. The driver comes in the garage on occasion and BS's now and then. I have a few weeks before MATS. Trailering the Charger this year. Got time to shop around.

I got the Charger up on the trailer this evening. Exhaust dragged as the car crested the end of the trailer, went on OK, but will catch on the turn downs on the dumps when coming off the trailer, not good. Got to get some 4x4's and 2x4's to make blocking for under the ramps. The ramps could be two feet longer, that would help. This is not my trailer, so only doing things that wont be permanent.

Those 8' long Ebay straps I had in my post above, /^^^\ , are going to be either just long enough, or too short. Cant chance it. So going to go with a set of four double D axle straps, and conventional ratchet straps. I like that set up from Summit. And they deliver!

This trailer is 20' long, It's a big one.

Steve P.

Two things you can do to keep from rubbing your tops.

1) Make a run to Depot or Lowes and buy a 2 x 8 x 8' board. Cut it so you get at least a 3" rise at the end of the ramps. So (2) pieces 1.5 - 2 feet long and (2) shorter and screw the short piece on top of the longer. 1 for each ramp. Then place under the ramps when going on or off the trailer.

2) When you are loading or unloading, 1st set your parking brake. 2nd, crank the tongue jack down onto a wide piece of 2 x something. 2" x 6-8" will work well. Raise the tongue enough to lower the decent of the tail of the trailer.

I have an 18' all steel diamond deck trailer with a four foot dovetail and extendable to 6 foot ramps. I have had very low riding cars on it and never scrapped any.

I watched some guys put a low rider on a trailer at the MATS a few years back. It was rather funny to watch them trying many ways to get the car on.. I walked over and suggested they drive the towing vehicle rear wheels up onto a few 2 x 6s they were breaking otherwise. The first guy said not to worry as they had it.. The owner of the car said: Do what he just said. That will work!!   It did!!   So that is another way you can do it.

This is all good research for you if you ever want your own trailer... Classic Manufacturing builds one hell of a solid and nice towing trailer. Only they rarely build open car haulers anymore.. I wish they would!! I love mine and it is old for a car hauler..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

GreenMachine

Home Depot has a good price on 27ft 10,000 lb ratchet staps. The website shows $11.98, I think I paid $13.98 in the store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-ft-x-2-in-Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Tie-Down-FH1114/203412786
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Paul G

Quote from: Steve P. on March 20, 2014, 12:48:58 AM
Two things you can do to keep from rubbing your tops.

1) Make a run to Depot or Lowes and buy a 2 x 8 x 8' board. Cut it so you get at least a 3" rise at the end of the ramps. So (2) pieces 1.5 - 2 feet long and (2) shorter and screw the short piece on top of the longer. 1 for each ramp. Then place under the ramps when going on or off the trailer.

2) When you are loading or unloading, 1st set your parking brake. 2nd, crank the tongue jack down onto a wide piece of 2 x something. 2" x 6-8" will work well. Raise the tongue enough to lower the decent of the tail of the trailer.

That did the trick. Picked up a 12' 2x12, cut it in half at the store, and a short piece of cut off 2x8. Cut three sections out of each of the 6' 2x12's, 34", 24", and 14", to make 2 step up ramps. Screwed then together. Then cut the 2x8 to 16" long and screwed it down at the top. I get 6" of extra lift, and the 16" long 2x8 on top has plenty of width for the steel ramps to sit on. The steel ramps are just a little wider than the 2x12. Used a piece of scrap 2x4 screwed on to the 2x8 for the steel ramp to sit over and hold it in place. Works great!   

Picked up these axle straps and tie downs on Ebay. They came today. Great stuff. Good and heavy, ratchets work very well. Axle straps are 36", tie downs are 10'. Long enough to tie down shorter cars. Price was pretty good too. justharris is the seller.   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200780406143?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140915467243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida