News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anybody know the tightening torque spec on a '68 leaf spring hanger(pivot)?

Started by MxRacer855, March 26, 2014, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Just looking for the pivot bolt spec that connects the leaf to the hanger. Thanks

Jeff

fy469rtse

Not in you factory manual , I wouldn't think it would be excessive Jeff , 40 to 45 pounds , get into the habit of using lock tight

MxRacer855

It was listed really weird.... it was 1 of 2 specs... One of them seemed too light (30 ft. Lbs.), whereas the other seemed far too tight (125lbs.). It must be the 30. I cranked them to 32 foot pounds and used red locktite. Hopefully that's good.
The only issue is that I replaced the bushings with polyurethane ones, and the metal sleeved are a tad bit too short. So tightening the hanger actually puts a good amount of pressure on the bushings themselves making it difficult to rotate the shackles. Still doable by hand though. So I loaded them up with grease and am hoping for the best!

fy469rtse

That should be ok , the grease will stop the squeaking , that's why the have a weird torque spec,
Just enough to compress the bush taking up any slack or movement spring to sleeve, sleeve is the stop,
Don't worry about rotating them, cars weight will do that,
Good one the lock tight

68 RT

The 125 ft/lbs is for the front hangers, the 30ft/lbs is for the rear hangers.

MxRacer855

So the 125ftlbs. is for the 4 bolts mounting the hanger to the frame? Or for the pivot bolt mounting the leaf to the hanger?