News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May have found the leak

Started by devilgear, March 26, 2014, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilgear

A few weeks back I posted that last year I had a leak on the drivers side by the head and I thought it may be a blown gasket. Well today it was a little warmer so I put coolant in the radiator, charged up the battery and started her up. I did not see much at first but I let it get up to temp and saw a small drip from around the valve cover. They are vintage MTs by the way. The flat part of the headers that bolt to the head look kinda damp, but I did not think any thing at first, but then I noticed toward the top (where I think it leaked last year) I did notice it bubling a bit of coolant. Not too much, but I did see it. So it appears that maybe my trouble may be a new exhaust gasket. Has anyone else gone throught this before? I have a 400 with hooker header.

Thanks

cudaken

Quote from: devilgear on March 26, 2014, 10:08:56 PM
A few weeks back I posted that last year I had a leak on the drivers side by the head and I thought it may be a blown gasket. Well today it was a little warmer so I put coolant in the radiator, charged up the battery and started her up. I did not see much at first but I let it get up to temp and saw a small drip from around the valve cover. They are vintage MTs by the way. The flat part of the headers that bolt to the head look kinda damp, but I did not think any thing at first, but then I noticed toward the top (where I think it leaked last year) I did notice it bubling a bit of coolant. Not too much, but I did see it. So it appears that maybe my trouble may be a new exhaust gasket. Has anyone else gone throught this before? I have a 400 with hooker header.

Thanks

You did not say what cylinder, but as I stated earlier sounds like a bad exhaust stud / threaded nut. Now that I know you have headers, it will be a stud. I am guessing it is in the rear, say 5 or 7 cylinder right?  :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken
I am back

70redbee

Ken is right. No need for an exhaust gasket. Pull the rear header studs, seal them with anti-seize, put them back in and I'll bet your leak is fixed.

devilgear

Thanks so much for the help guys. Not sure what the cylinder numbers are, but the leak is toward the firewall side. Do you think I should get new studs? Would I have to drain the rad fluid? Again thanks soo much for the help. :icon_smile_big:

cudaken

I would drain around a half gallon, that should do it. While you are at it, new stud would not be a bad idea.

To remove the stud, use another bolt on the stud so you have two nuts. Tighten down the second nut while holding the rear nut so it does not turn (don't want to break the stud off). When second nut is tight against the first nut, put a wrench on the rear nut and turn like you are removing it. It will not be able to turn so the stud will back out of the head.

Cuda Ken
I am back

devilgear

Thanks man. I'll maybe try this weekend or next. I'm super excited to get it done since this weather has sucked soo bad and I'm dying to drive it. Thanks again. Brotha

firefighter3931

Use the "Ultra Copper" high temp RTV from Permatex and let it set up overnight. That stuff has allways worked well for me sealing up header bolts.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Quote from: devilgear on March 27, 2014, 09:56:57 AM
Thanks man. I'll maybe try this weekend or next. I'm super excited to get it done since this weather has sucked soo bad and I'm dying to drive it. Thanks again. Brotha

That is what we are here for! I want to drive mine as well!  :drive:
I am back