News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

confusion about a few hemi daytonas

Started by held1823, March 26, 2014, 07:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

in a never-ending quest to sort some old photo files, i am confused by some of the hemi versions. no less than four of them to be exact.

first, the v2's. i think restorations by julius has done two hemi cars, one with a black stripe, and one with white.

i thought that the black striped julius car is the same one sold by RK motors, but didn't the RK car once have a sunroof? a photo of the car at the julius shop shows the roof intact without a hole. this same car was probably the one at the ponderosa place at one time. are these all the same car, 402970?

if i'm not mistaken, this is also that same black striped car. i saw it at the car craft street machine nationals in 1983 in this livery.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

the other two cars are t7's. tim w's was at the mcacn show last year, and i know his car has a tan interior. the other car has a white interior, and has apparently been at that show at some point, judging by this photo?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Davtona

Quote from: held1823 on March 26, 2014, 07:39:14 PM
the other two cars are t7's. tim w's was at the mcacn show last year, and i know his car has a tan interior. the other car has a white interior, and has apparently been at that show at some point, judging by this photo?

Would that be Cal Andersons old Car? Not sure who has it now.

held1823

yes, i think it is cal's old car. no idea of its vin to look back though the old mecum/b-j listings, but i am thinking both t7 cars went through one or the other, at some point.

i'm still curious if that photo was indeed taken at the chicago show, or if it was mislabeled
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

held1823

aha. thanks.  the photo is from 2010, while the other car (tw's) was there in 2012.

are the last six of cal's old car available, or off the radar?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Davtona

Would Cal's car not be on the ship list as being shipped to Wisconsin. J code car in Wis would narrow it down.

held1823

wisconsin got lots of love for the hemi cars, with at least 3 of them shipped there, but your info jogged my memory. i think this is 409075. it's a t5 car, not t7 as i posted earlier. it looks like the incorrect magnums were swapped out for the hubcaps along the way.

this particular trip across the auction block ended in a no-sale. i believe it was at two prior mecum events, before this one.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: Davtona on March 26, 2014, 08:02:54 PM
Quote from: held1823 on March 26, 2014, 07:39:14 PM

Would that be Cal Andersons old Car? Not sure who has it now.

The one with the white interior and hubcaps is Cal's old car.   Although Cal no longer owns it, he had it so long that it will always be known as "Cal's car".    After Cal sold it, it had the chrome Magnums on it for a while, then was re-restored and has the hubcaps back on.   As mentioned, it is T5.

Aero426

I thought this was one of Phil Jackson's cars (but not the green one).    It "may" now be in Brett Torino's collection.   Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

held1823

i'm slowly but surely getting thousands of photos grouped into folders, sorted by each individual car's vin. 25% of the ship list is already done, but there are about twenty folders of cars that i know a current/past owner of, but not the car's vin. i'd like to add the vin to those folders and remove names, just for the sake of the owner's privacy.

i know some people don't want anything out there with regard to their car, but i'd like to see a searchable database eventually created for the cars. not one that would identify who owns/owned what, but more of a day one approach. there are precious few daytonas still in the hands of the original owners, so a database of what car left the factory with what options on the fender tag wouldn't identify anything more than that.

dave b is correct. we're all getting up in years, and none of us will be around forever. who, then, will take over stewardship of the history of these cars? i think it's important to gather it now, so that it doesn't get rewritten, based on hearsay or someone's memory. watch, there will eventually be a four door daytona out there.

thanks for the help with making sure i had these two cars listed correctly. now on the the orange ones...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on March 27, 2014, 05:48:02 PM
I thought this was one of Phil Jackson's cars (but not the green one).    It "may" now be in Brett Torino's collection.   Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

i wondered that, too. i found that picture posted with this one, and figure it is the same car based on that. i've long assumed this is the same car that RK motors had, but the roof puzzles me.

the second julius car with the white stripe would have been mike r's.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona Enthusiast

Three different cars... Julius car hemi 4speed, the RK Motors sunroof car was restored
by Totally Auto, and I believe the Ponderosa car is the one below...

Dave

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on March 27, 2014, 06:29:52 PM
the second julius car with the white stripe would have been mike r's.

Interesting picture. Getting off topic a wee bit, I have a picture of my Daytona sitting in almost the exact same location at Julius' shop when he and Dave M. brought it back to the States from England when Pete W. owned it...  ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

i'm certain that last photo i posted originally came from a group of them for the hemi car, but i see no evidence of the door badges?

the white striped car from the julius shop has a hemi, but wasn't born with it. pretty cool article about that car here...

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/06/01/hmn_tips1.html

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

6bblgt

The Dave Marcis "street clone" HEMI 4-speed Daytona was originally R4. Former Phil Jackson & restored by "Restorations by Julius" car - IIRC R&R Motors Appleton, WI.
Here's a pic of it around '79.