News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

64 440 engine parts in a 70 block???

Started by DoubleDlover, March 27, 2014, 04:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

ok. Here are some good questions. could I take a 64 440 short block and take everything out of it and set it in a 70 block? can I bolt 906 heads on it. Would the 64 intake bolt to the 906 heads? look forward to thoughts. thanks r

70redbee

Did they make a 440 in 64? Not to my knowledge, but I was wrong once, I think.

heyoldguy

XS29L

No 440 in 1964 could be that you have a 426 wedge.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

DoubleDlover

its a 64 imperial. The intake part number ends in what looks like 000.. It looks like a big block. Looks like a 440.. But im not sure. any help would be great. thanks r

heyoldguy

What are the numbers stamped on the flat pad across from the distributor? Intake number 2206000 is for a 1966 440. Perhaps someone installed a 1966 440 in the 64 Imperial. The 2206000 intake will bolt to 906 heads.

A383Wing

Daytona R/T SE

cudaken

Yep, a 413. Crank and Rods will work.
I am back

ACUDANUT

DoubleDlover

I cant read that top pad. The compresser is still In the way. would the balancer work on a 70 std. 440? It sounds like most of th parts are not going to work though

RallyeMike

It was 50 years ago that the car was made with a 413. Check the casting numbers on the block. Don't trust that it is original. Maybe you have a 440 block that the original intake and carb were bolted onto?.... Do your homework - don't guess (or worse, have us do it from afar). Maybe you'll get lucky!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

The 413, 426 and 440 are all RB engines....all parts (except pistons) will interchange but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. (yeah, I know about the RB 383)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Personally I would spend the money for a new balancer! They do go bad, timing ring slips and can screw with your timing big time.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ACUDANUT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 28, 2014, 04:32:27 PM

The 413, 426 and 440 are all RB engines....all parts (except pistons) will interchange but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. (yeah, I know about the RB 383)

(yeah, I know about the RB 383)
[/quote]

I've never heard of that ?

A383Wing

firefighter3931

Be carefull when selecting a balancer for a '70 440....some of those came with the heavier 6-pack connecting rods which require and external balance dampner.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

pettybird

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 29, 2014, 08:48:51 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 28, 2014, 04:32:27 PM

(yeah, I know about the RB 383)

I've never heard of that ?
[/quote]

It came exclusively in the 1960-61 Chrysler Windsor.  Kinda like the 350ci B engine in a 58 desoto.

pettybird

Quote from: DoubleDlover on March 27, 2014, 04:16:34 PM
ok. Here are some good questions. could I take a 64 440 short block and take everything out of it and set it in a 70 block? can I bolt 906 heads on it. Would the 64 intake bolt to the 906 heads? look forward to thoughts. thanks r

oddly enough my friend is running a '64 413 crank and rod set in his Daytona.  The main journals, spacing, etc. is the same.

also oddly enough his original '64 balancer failed just like someone said above...just get a new replacement for a '69-down car. 

the intake would fit, but I don't know why you'd do it...you'd have to use an old AFB or WCFB carb with the smaller mounting pad. 

is this for the 'bird?  time for a stroker kit ;)

ACUDANUT

How does a Steel balancer fail and what are the warning signs ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 01, 2014, 12:40:48 PM
How does a Steel balancer fail and what are the warning signs ?
\

The outer ring and hub are bonded together with an elastomer (rubber) piece. Over time the rubber will harden and vulcanize. Once this happens the outer ring will begin to slip and the timing marks will be off.

Catastrophic failure occurs when the ring gear seperates completely and get's launched into the engine bay.  :eek2:

If the engine starts to suddenly vibrate when it didn't before that is a good indication that the balancer is compromised. Cracked rubber on the elastomer ring is easily seen and at that point the balancer should be replaced. Checking for proper indexing is another way to see things are going south.

If it's old and tired....just replace and be safe.  :Twocents:

**There is absolutely no way I would ever install a 40-50yr old balancer on a freshly rebuilt engine. There are descent quality balancers out there in the $100 price range.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Ron, who makes the $100.00 versions? All I have seen is the fluid type?

Cuda Nut, with the age of are cars, things break that never should! I had the center of a water pump pulley faille!

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on April 01, 2014, 05:17:26 PM

Ron, who makes the $100.00 versions? All I have seen is the fluid type?

Cuda Nut, with the age of are cars, things break that never should! I had the center of a water pump pulley faille!

Cuda Ken

Ken,

The Professional Products balancer is a nice piece and even has 0-60* indexing for easy timing adjustments for those without dial-back timing lights.  :2thumbs:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pfs-80013/overview/make/chrysler

Ron

ACUDANUT

Okay, now I'm paranoid.  All my engines have old balancers on them.  Am I alone here ?

A383Wing

all 3 my 66 blocks & 70 block still running OE balancers