News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing chrome at home - what did you use that worked?

Started by odcics2, March 26, 2014, 03:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I have read remedies on the 'net, but anyone here use one and did it work??   

I have an OEM pulley that was chromed back in the day. (and it's one not being reproduced - so getting another is not an option) 
I'd like it to stay looking original, so I'd like to not have to sand blast it, if possible.

So, maybe a chemical dip or spray is the answer...   thanks.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

cudaken

What pulley are we talking about? I love chrome, if I have the right one, maybe a trade?  :D

Cuda Ken
I am back

odcics2

Quote from: cudaken on March 26, 2014, 10:28:14 PM

What pulley are we talking about? I love chrome, if I have the right one, maybe a trade?  :D

Cuda Ken

A-990 dual, deep groove.   

The thing is that it has HPE numbers etched in it, and it's going on an HPE assembled engine.
That's one reason I got it.   

Cooter

One would/could try reverse plating, but without the solution to do so in, I'm afraid your urinating into the wind.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cudaken

Quote from: odcics2 on March 27, 2014, 04:51:24 AM

Cuda Ken

A-990 dual, deep groove.   

The thing is that it has HPE numbers etched in it, and it's going on an HPE assembled engine.

Is that the lower pulley? What year and engine sizes?

Cuda Ken
I am back

odcics2

Quote from: cudaken on March 27, 2014, 08:55:02 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 27, 2014, 04:51:24 AM

Cuda Ken

A-990 dual, deep groove.   

Is that the lower pulley? What year and engine sizes?

Cuda Ken

'70 426 crank pulley.  A-990 pulleys were also used on circle track engines.

odcics2

Quote from: Cooter on March 27, 2014, 05:28:15 AM
One would/could try reverse plating, but without the solution to do so in, I'm afraid your urinating into the wind.

Agreed!

I heard Easy Off oven cleaner works.  I may find a small chromed bracket and give it a try, when the weather gets a little warmer.
Outdoor job - needs ventilation.