News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel problems?

Started by bulleteater, March 23, 2014, 07:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulleteater

Well the other day I jumped in my car for a cruse around the block and put my 69 charger 383 in gear and it fell on its face and died. Started it again put it in gear and died it would even spit when i put my foot into the the gas pedal :brickwall:. well I decided to rebuild my carb holley 650 and now it runs worse :flame:! Grey smoke and rich as hell! I can't even time it now or make any adjustments on the carb. Also replaced the spark plugs and it sounds like it's missing and so rich it burns your eyes.. I adjusted the floats where only a trickle comes out of the sight holes when rocking my car.. Could the brand new plug wires be faulty? It sounds like it's missing is there a clever way of looking for spark or would a volt meter on continuity be about the only way? Thank you in advance
Brant

XH29N0G

I'm not the best person to ask, but if you have a spare plug, I think you can put it each boot, ground it, crank it over, and see if the spark jumps.  You need to do this in a dark place. 

If you have a points ignition, I would also check that over carefully to make sure the points are OK and set correctly. 

Regarding the running rich, that would seem to be something with the carb and since that wasn't happening before the rebuild, I would see if you can evaluate that.  People here will have good suggestions.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

bulleteater

That's a great idea! I will have to try that.. And yes the points were probably sitting around 14 so I opened them up to 17 and it still ran awful.. Thank you!
Brant

c00nhunterjoe

You said you rebuilt the carb and made it worse. Stop changing things until you fix whatever got messed up in yhe carb.

squeakfinder

You mentioned new plug wires. Did you double check the firing order? They will sortave run on six cylinders.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

71 SE3834V

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 23, 2014, 07:23:28 PM
...... You need to do this in a dark place... 

It doesn't have to be that dark. Sure not in the bright sunlight but just a shady spot should be good.

Quote from: bulleteater on March 23, 2014, 08:57:17 PM
That's a great idea! I will have to try that.. And yes the points were probably sitting around 14 so I opened them up to 17 and it still ran awful.. Thank you!

If you are just going by point gap you really need to put a dwell meter on it. A dwell meter is much more accurate and once you changed the point gap you've now changed the timing. Sounds like it might be best to go over all the basics and make sure they're right and go from there.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

bulleteater

You guys are awesome! I will check the plug wires first to make sure they are giving spark.  When I got my motor back from the shop I found out the hard way they installed the timing one tooth off so for now I just moved the wires one place over.  So I'm hoping I have the distributor in the right firing order I will recheck that also along with making sure I'm on tdc.
Brant

flyinlow

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 24, 2014, 10:55:26 AM
You said you rebuilt the carb and made it worse. Stop changing things until you fix whatever got messed up in yhe carb.

:iagree:

Double check you firing order. Then go back and fix the carb. :Twocents:

bulleteater

Well im embarrassed to say.. But thought I would tell you guys.. I checked my spark plugs and wires a thousand times over checked the points 10 times made sure the firing order was correct so I decided for shits and grins I would pull the carb back off and see if there was anything that was installed wrong and here comes the embarrassing part.. When I pulled the carb off the intake was dripping wet  with fuel so I thought maybe something was wrong with the rebuild so taking the bowls off and the metering block off I seen daylight.. Come to find out I'm missing 2 screws that attach the carb body to the bottom of the carb..  :brickwall:
Brant

XH29N0G

If you send description of the screws, I can check my extra parts bin to see whether I have some on hand.  I end up with lots of extra parts whenever I put things back together  :nana:

Hopefully this fixes it.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

Forget about embarrassment, just be glad your engine compartment didn't catch on fire...

bulleteater

Haha that's a good point! I may have to check the big table (the floor) haha well I ordered some screw's from amazon a couple of days ago hopefully they are the right one's.. They sell for $17 for 10 I wish I seen your post before I jumped.. But they are the Phillips screw's on the bottom that look zinc plated and about an inch long.. I will let you know if they are wrong.. Thank you xh29nog.. Myk you bring up a good point engine compartment fires are a really bad thing so I guess I can be glad I caught that before.. Now hopefully the screw's didn't fall off and down inside the intake or combustion chamber...  :'(  haha happy thoughts happy thoughts lol they've got to be on the big table somewhere swept up and thrown away :lol: thank you guys! I'll let y'all know
Brant

myk

Things can ALWAYS be worse, my friend.  I hope those screws are the right ones-we need to see you and your car on the roads!

flyinlow

Glad you figured it out.   :2thumbs:

Buy two fire extinguishers. Practice putting out a gasoline fire somewhere safe with one. Bolt the other one in your car. 

bulleteater

Well not to  :horse: but I found the culprit.. The guys that said they know holley didn't know them that well.. I pulled that carb off again and opened it up again and found they didn't put the power valve gasket on and used the wrong gasket on the same side and now it purs like a lion.. Now all that's left is the timing is way off because the guys installed the chain wrong and I hooked up the dwell meter and my points are way off.. And I checked the points and they are right at .017 but the dwell says the points are reading in the red the dwell is right at 8ish  so I'm a little closer and I do have a fire extinguisher thank you for the recommendation flynlow  :2thumbs:
Brant