News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for Dad's 68

Started by familymopar, March 19, 2014, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familymopar

I know this is a long shot, but being new to this board I figured I would throw it out there.

My dad drove to Texas in 1969 in a 68 Charger, SS1 yellow, black top, black interior.  It was purchased in or around Pontiac, Michigan in or around 1968.  It was sold in or around Houston, Texas in or around 1970.  There is a small chance he sold it on a trip back to Pontiac (Walled Lake) but I think that is very unlikely.

All I have to go on is his name and a description of the car.  I have been searching for a bill of sale or any identifying paperwork since well before his death in 2012 and have come up with nothing.  I have contacted the Michigan DMV to no avail.  I know a lot of guys have original titles, title history, other paperwork for their cars.  If anyone ever happens to run across anything with his name and could identify his car, I would love it.  I will not hassle you about your car or try to buy it (although I would if available).  I would just like to know where it is, see it, and know that she is well. 

My father believed since the day he bought that car to the day he died that the 1968 charger was the greatest car ever made.  I looked into buying a 69 some years back and he scoffed at me.  (No offense 69 guys, I love them too, but he was adamant that a 1968 could not be touched in its beauty.)  That car, which I have never seen in real life, kicked off a lifetime of Charger and Mopar infatuation for me which has trickled down to my own son.  Yes, my father and I had some tough times in my teenage years when I thought mustangs were cool and later when I even thought I might be a chevy guy.  But as many sons do, I came back around, admitted he was right, and we moved on.

If anybody out there has any ideas, sees any paperwork with his name on it, etc. I would love to know.  I have no idea the motor.  I know it wasn't a Hemi or I never would have heard the end of it, I doubt it was a 440 because I don't think it was an R/T.  I know it wasn't a 6 because he would not have bought it.  So that leaves the mid range 8's.  I am certain it was an automatic.

My dad's name was Michael David Greenlee, Pontiac (Walled Lake), Michigan 1944-1968 and Houston, Texas 1969-2012.

I won't hold my breath but I would really appreciate y'all keeping an eye out.  Just putting it out there.

I have put a photo up on another page recently, but here it is again, a picture of a picture, it's what I have.

Chuck Greenlee

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

fy469rtse

Keep looking for paperwork, insurance papers, bank loan papers if your dad financed it, anything that could have the Vin number on it , it's really your only chance , check anywhere financial papers could be kept forgotten about

Tilar

Quote from: fy469rtse on March 20, 2014, 03:57:38 AM
check anywhere financial papers could be kept forgotten about

The attic is a good place to look.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

don duick

sits very low for what looks like an unmolested charger. sorry for going off topic sure do hope you find it.

70 sublime

Maybe if you are lucky you still have the same car insurance compay your dad did
I know the place we go to had a paper file with all the stuff I had ever done (before the computer age but they still have all the file cabinets)
They might still have stuff around with a VIN on it for your dads cars ????
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

fireguyfire

Good luck; I hope you can track it down
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

familymopar

Thanks to all for the ideas.  My mom passed shortly after my dad and all the records were in her house, when he left he basically took a bag of clothes (his closet was even still full).  My sister and I have weeded through everything, file cabinets, attic, everything, looking for lots of stuff but I was always looking for any of the Charger info.  That process is about done now.  I don't know who his insurance carrier was at the time, if he had any, but it is assuredly many, many companies ago.  They have every receipt, record, tax return, etc. going back to about 1979, unfortunately that is not long enough.  At this point all we have left to go through are my mothers 70 photo albums (yes, 70) and assorted envelopes of photos.  My best hope is to find another photo with the license plate.  Michigan told me that would not help at all but if it is a Texas plate I think it may.  Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words and, again, I knew it was a long shot but just figured I'd throw it out there.  Hell, I have a copy of the original title for my 68 and some of the dealer info, so always worth a try to throw the word out.  Thanks again, and remember, you ever see the name Michael David Greenlee let me know!

Quote from: don duick on March 20, 2014, 05:55:34 AM
sits very low for what looks like an unmolested charger. sorry for going off topic sure do hope you find it.

I kind of thought that myself.  But t is a bone stock 68, photo circa 69-70 at the latest.  My father was an avid believer in not changing anything on a car (Mopar made it that way for a reason!  Another source of teenage disagreements, and that one lasted).

Thanks to all,

Chuck

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

tan top

:scratchchin:  fingers crossed , hope you find some something ! good luck !! keep us posted  :yesnod: :popcrn: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

VegasCharger

:iagree:

Chuck (familymopar) is a cool dude.

Good Luck  :cheers:

mightywing7

Yes, good luck!   :2thumbs:

Please keep us posted on your adventure.  Let us know should you find any more info.....the guys here are all willing to help!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI