News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower Control Arm Shaft

Started by ChargerRob, March 21, 2014, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRob

Hey guys, long time since I've posted. How do you remove the shaft from the lower control arm? Thanks in advance for the help.
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

flyinlow

A press.  Then the fun begins. the outer bushing shell will still be in the LCA. Some weld a washer to the shell and press it out. I welded an old deepwell socket that fit inside the shell and pressed. the inner shell will be stuck on the pin. Cut carefully with a die grinder then air chiseled off.   :Twocents:

Do a search, different ways to do it including taking it to a machine shop.   

myk

Yup, I had to take my LCA's to a machine shop; those things weren't going to come out with anything less than a press...

ChargerRob

Thank you for the info. More than I planned on, just going to have these sandblasted and cleaned up.   :cheers:

fy469rtse

Isn't that what always happens with these cars, ?
Perfect time to replace that bush, whilst you have that bush out , perfect time to add the bracing plates to those LCA's
You will notice the difference , cheap mod's , well worth doing , just some plates welded on ,
Have a look at the threads on here

ChargerRob

I'd love to add the bracing plates but unfortunately I don't know how to weld. Anybody live near Azusa, CA.(Los Angeles) who'd like to help out a fellow Charger fanatic,  I'd be willing to take a drive.  :cheers:

hemi71x

Quote from: flyinlow on March 21, 2014, 11:14:36 PM
A press.  Then the fun begins. the outer bushing shell will still be in the LCA. Some weld a washer to the shell and press it out. I welded an old deepwell socket that fit inside the shell and pressed. the inner shell will be stuck on the pin. Cut carefully with a die grinder then air chiseled off.   :Twocents:

Do a search, different ways to do it including taking it to a machine shop.  

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180315

Take the time to fully read the posting in the link above, from over at forabodiesonly.com
It will teach you all the techniques in doing LCA's.
I got involved in posting to that thread, and the moderators made it a "sticky" in the suspension section.
The first time that you do them, it might be a bit intimidating, but ya got to learn sometime, and then after that, they're easy.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

myk

Quote from: ChargerRob on March 23, 2014, 06:40:45 PM
I'd love to add the bracing plates but unfortunately I don't know how to weld. Anybody live near Azusa, CA.(Los Angeles) who'd like to help out a fellow Charger fanatic,  I'd be willing to take a drive.  :cheers:

It shouldn't take someone more than an hour's worth of labor to get it done.  The reinforcement of the LCA's is easily worth the $100 or so that it will cost for the welding...

hemi71x

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/viewall.html

If your interested, here's another good tech article in how to do the Mopar LCA's.
I forgot i had this one bookmarked in my laptop computer.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

ACUDANUT

Why would you have to replace one of these ?  Was it sitting bare and outside rusting away ?

myk

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 24, 2014, 12:37:23 PM
Why would you have to replace one of these ?  Was it sitting bare and outside rusting away ?

?????Bushings go bad and wear out over time...

ACUDANUT

MYK, bushing/bearings is one thing, but the shaft ? :shruggy:

ChargerRob

Thanks for all the info guys. Gonna have mine sand blasted and cleaned up.  :cheers:

sanders7981

I had to chisel mine out... But they came out!!  The bushings were in need of replacing, play I didn't want to risk that being the ONE thing to go bad since I had replaced all the other suspension stuff.