News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

transmission safety switch?

Started by frank1966, March 21, 2014, 07:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

Is there a transmission safety switch in the 70 charger? My car stopped starting all of a sudden, turn the key gauges move but its not cranking. I did play with the shifter, wiggled it around before because its very loose. Is there a trick? Do I need to keep wiggling it to make sure its in park?

johnnycharger

There is. Have you tried starting it in neutral?
There is an electrical plug to the side of the tranny.  Make sure it has a good clean connection.

frank1966

IS it one turn of the key then I can shift to neutral?

b5blue

Frank if you unplug the brown wire with a yellow tracer on it at the starter relay and ground that blade/connector it will bypass the NSS completely.  The car will crank with the shifter in ANY position if everything else is good.

John_Kunkel

Slop in the shift linkage will cause spotty starting. Check the shift linkage for worn/missing plastic bushings, it's not unusual for one to fall out; they are available new from the dealer and many other sources.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

frank1966

I never had an auto transmission Ian not sure where these plastic pieces are?
Thanks

johnnycharger

If you lay on the ground on the driver's side at the door with your head towards the front you can reach under the car with your arm straight out an grab it. At least that is how I got to mine. 

John_Kunkel

Or lie under the car and have somebody run the shifter through the gears, you should be able to see the origin of the slop in the linkage.

Console or column shift?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.