News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's always something!

Started by lloyd3, March 11, 2014, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Enthusiastic 10-year olds and old plastic parts don't mix. My passenger door doesn't always close easily and my son's solution is to slam it a little harder to get it to latch. This was theoretically resolved during the restoration when new door pins and hinges were installed, but.......it's a long story.  Anyway, very nice here yesterday, something like 73 degrees Fahrenheit and no wind. Absolutely balmy! No snow and nice, dry roads. My son really likes it when I pick him up from school in the car and it's been a long time since last Fall, so I dragged the cover off of the car and primed the carb with a little slurp of gas. She fired right up with almost no cranking and settled down nicely to an even burble. I climbed in and stashed wallets and cellphones and bluejean jackets and headed off for school car-line.  As you might imagine, UU-1 really sticks out amongst the crowd of white minivans and the various silver econoboxes and SUVs in the lot, so its an event every time I take it.  I must be used to much-cooler weather after this winter, because I was feeling fairly warm sitting in the old car, so I reached over to crank-down the passenger window to join the driver's side in the down position. I got in about two cranks when it freewheeled and then I heard a metallic thump in the bottom of the door.  The window dropped down about 6-inches and then.... nothing.

Anybody ever hear of a little plastic part called a "lift bracket rivet and plug"?  Know where I can get one?

ODZKing

lloyd3

That looks about right. Mine was more of a blue-green plastic, but from the fragments that I picked up from the bottom of the door that seems to be it.

bull

Your description sounds weird but the part ODZ posted above is what it sounds like. They were originally blue in the 68s but the replacements are usually white.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1005867

lloyd3

I knew you folks would have some insight here. Thankyou!  Now, any tricks to get the doors to close more easily? (No, I can't isolate the child.)

lloyd3

ODZ King: Appreciate all your time on that. Thank you so much!  I did the Google thing with little success, even after consulting the '68 Charger/Coronet/Dart Service Manual.  I'm sure there is a shade-tree solution for this little challange, but why if you don't need too, right?  I'm in no hurry now as winter has returned (snowing at the moment!).  I'll just set the door parts in the back seat and cover her up until the next nice day where I have the time to work on her in an orderly (and warm & dry) fashion. 

bull

Quote from: lloyd3 on March 11, 2014, 12:24:07 PM
I knew you folks would have some insight here. Thankyou!  Now, any tricks to get the doors to close more easily? (No, I can't isolate the child.)

The adjustment is at the striker mounted to the rear post with three Phillips screws. It moves in all different directions and can be tilted too. Take it slow and make minor adjustments. And close the door slowly after you adjust so you don't damage something in the process.

lloyd3

lloyd3

Well, thanks to you folks, EBay, and the $7.81 sent to "Mega Parts" in Coon Valley, Wisconsin, my door window is fixed. It took a little cogitation about how it went back in (all I got to see was the aftermath of the failure and pick up the little plastic parts from the bottom of the door, FWIW-the factory service manual was useless on the subject).  I always shudder a little when I have to pull parts out of the interior on these cars. Those little wire clips and snaps that hold everything together on the doors are getting a little long-in-the-tooth, not to mention having to pop panels and pads back into place that are getting a little brittle.  Not something you want to do frequently.  But no harm and no foul.

Because it was a nice day here, I took my 10-year old out for a burger and shake as a thanks for his assistance on the project (he's on Spring Break).  We also had to go to Home Depot to get another little item. I can tell you from personal experience, old cars get lots of attention at big hardware stores. Let's just say that it wasn't the quick in and out that I'd planned on.

myk

All those little clips and pins and things piss me off, but amaze me at the same time.  They don't seem capable of holding everything together, sometimes they don't, but I respect the fact that they have done their jobs for almost a half of a century.

In any case, do you have to "lift" your door to shut it?  I'm starting to have to do that with my doors as well...

ODZKing

Quote from: myk on March 25, 2014, 06:37:15 PM
All those little clips and pins and things piss me off, but amaze me at the same time.  They don't seem capable of holding everything together, sometimes they don't, but I respect the fact that they have done their jobs for almost a half of a century.

In any case, do you have to "lift" your door to shut it?  I'm starting to have to do that with my doors as well...
New hinges or at very least a pin kit my friend.  ::)

lloyd3

I did the hinge and pin thing when it was in the 5-year restoration event. Mine work well most of the time, but not always. I still need a minor adjustment on the passenger side.

HANDM

If you are still having a hard time with the door, (I was having the same problem) look on the door latch, the upper part above the star wheel is a moving, lubeable part that slides, mine were stuck and thus causing the doors to not close properly...

Crappy pic but you get the idea

lloyd3

I'll check that out, thanks!

ODZKing

I find hinge pin kits a temporary fix.  If the hinge is worn, it's worn and a new one is usually needed.
my 67 needs hinges.  My doors close fine BUT when I am working on one side and that side is on a jack or stand, the door won't close or closes badly.  If they move even after new pins, they need to be replaced.