News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '79 Lil Red

Started by Nupe, March 10, 2006, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nupe

Finally bought a Lil Red after years of wanting one and always seeming to just miss them when for sale.  She is a little rough around the edges, but a great driver.  It was a blast on the 150 mile drive home and got a little sideways a couple times due to the rainy roads.  :devil:

Here are some pics from the previous owner since I haven't even had a chance to mess with it yet or get good pics (hope to Sunday):

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Nupe

The guy was really cool and even used his AAA to get it about 100 miles closer to me!

Darn these red vehicles though.  Why do I end up with them when I don't even really like red vehicles?  Even my daily beater Honda is red!  :P

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Charger1970

Oh man I love those trucks. It looks like it's all there too.  :2thumbs:
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

jaak

:2thumbs: Cool, truck. I have always liked the lil red trucks too. In fact the guy I bought my charger from Had on he just finished restoring.

Jason

mopar_madman

:2thumbs: awesome, I love them and the warlock trucks.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

NHCharger

Nice score. Even has A/C.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nupe

Thanks guys!  The AC was something I didn't expect.  It looks intact and seems to just need a condensor.

It is going to be a fun way to go parts chasing.   :icon_smile_cool:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

hemi68charger

Very cool... I love those trucks and miss the two I once had.. I see he rotated the exhaust tips.... I remember on winter mornings, the con-trail from the exhaust when first started would go past the rear of the truck.. It was a cool sight.. Your's looks to be well complete...

Have fun !!!

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

twilt

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Nice truck!  I`ve never had one but have always admired them.  I see that yours doesnt have a Tuff wheel, was  that  optional?

TruckDriver

Quote from: mopar_madman on March 11, 2006, 07:43:47 AM
:2thumbs: awesome, I love them and the warlock trucks.
:iagree: :2thumbs:

That steering wheel is out of a 80s something Mopar, like a omni. Tuff wheels were standard in them.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Paladin

To All,

Not to offend anyone, but the tuff wheel was only used in the first part of the 1979 production.  After that, they went to the Omni style wheel.  I have an early production 1979 with the Tuff wheel but have seen three other late productions with the Omni wheel since then.

There were a lot of running changes in the two years they built the LRE, mostly in the trim department.  I have seen them with at least two different dash panels that were wood grain, as well as the popular silver one that was mostly used.  Ma Mopar was going broke during this time, and they were doing just about anything to stay solvent.  I did notice that Nupe's truck did not have the chrome rocker arm covers and caps, and that is a first for me.  I have never seen or heard of one not coming with the chrome package.  Nupe, did the seller have anything to say about that?

I have been following these vehicles since they were new.  In 1978, I was with Second Battalion, Fourth Marines at Okinawa when I first became aware of the LRE, thanks to my Car & Driver subscription in which they said it was the quickest American vehicle made to 100 MPH that year.  I wanted one badly, but even with purchasing it overseas and picking it up when I got back stateside, it would have been around $9600!
That was a lot of money for a truck in 1978.

About two years later, though, I was back in CONUS at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.  I came across one through a banker friend. His bank repo'd it and I was given first dibs.  It had AC and the black vinyl bucket seat interior, and only had 17,000 miles on it. The bank wanted what they had in it, $4900.  I sold my '73 Cuda 340 the same day and bought the truck the next. 

I have had that LRE ever since and we both have been "up the creek and over the mountain" many times together.  It has nearly 200,000 miles on it, and is currently lying in pieces in my shop for a complete once-over.  Though not exactly correct, when I am through it will have a 400 horse 360 magnum with a four speed manual transmission, better seats, extra-heavy sway bars fore and aft, a nicer interior than stock, extra gauges; you get the general idea.

Nupe, once again, that is a great truck and I am very happy for you.  I posted pics of my '71 R/T on that thread in Moparts.  Good luck and if I can help you with anything, let me know.

May God bless America,
Paladin
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau
1971 Dodge Charger R/T
1977 Chrysler Cordoba A35
1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Dodge Ramcharger
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Dodge Sport 2500 V10   
2001 Dodge Durango SLT

TruckDriver

Quote from: Paladin on March 11, 2006, 01:03:55 PM
the tuff wheel was only used in the first part of the 1979 production.  After that, they went to the Omni style wheel.  I have an early production 1979 with the Tuff wheel but have seen three other late productions with the Omni wheel since then.

There were a lot of running changes in the two years they built the LRE, mostly in the trim department.  I have seen them with at least two different dash panels that were wood grain, as well as the popular silver one that was mostly used.  I did notice that Nupe's truck did not have the chrome rocker arm covers and caps, and that is a first for me.  I have never seen or heard of one not coming with the chrome package.  Nupe, did the seller have anything to say about that?

I just learned something new again :yesnod:

I prefer the '78s better anyway cause I like the grille better. Still a cool truck though. :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Paladin

Dodge Charger Guy,

That makes two of us that prefer the 1978 model, and not only for the different grille.  The 1978s (especially the earlier ones of the run) had a hotter camshaft and a better flowing flowing exhaust system.  This was because of changing EPA standards for trucks.  Ma Mopar got away with it in 1978, but the EPA changed the gross weight minimum and reclassified in 1979. The 1978s also all came with the Tuff Wheel.  Plus, they made about half as many '78s as they did '79s.  As time goes by, the 1978 LRE will take a real premium over the 1979 model.

May God bless America,
Paladin
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau
1971 Dodge Charger R/T
1977 Chrysler Cordoba A35
1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Dodge Ramcharger
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Dodge Sport 2500 V10   
2001 Dodge Durango SLT

Moparstud440

Telvis

I like it! Congratulations!

70 Battle Horse

Way to go Jeremy !!! CONGRATS!!!! Cant wait to see / ride in  it !

Best 1/4 run so far 12.7 @ 108 mph

Nupe

Thanks again guys!  Paladin, the motor has been rebuilt and to be honest I took the guy's word for it being original since I was tired from being sick and the long drive.  I'm guessing the chrome was ditched during "resto".

I actually wanted a '78 for the look of the grill and the old style hood.  They are quite a bit harder to find with the rarity.  And I have a Tuff wheel that will be going in there eventually.  That Omni type looks so strange.  :-\

Randy, I'll be out messing with it tomorrow afternoon.  Give me a call and you can help me test the sure grip.  :devil:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Goldfinger71

Nice truck Nupe!
A very good parts chaser for your R/T! ;D
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!