News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Obama Care

Started by 400/6/PAC, March 17, 2014, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

I do not want to have to lock this thread as it can and should help others. Just as we help each other with our mopars we can help each other on this. AS LONG AS PEOPLE CONTAIN THEIR POLITICAL BS!!!!

If someone asked advice on an engine build or brake system or how to fix a plumbing leak on this site everyone would be willing to help without chewing anyone else's ass for their political opinion. I expect the same respect here.

If you cannot give that respect please do not answer on this thread.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tilar

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 17, 2014, 08:40:04 PM
Let's not get political.

Have any of You signed up for Obama care?
I have been putting it off but looked into the ( affordable ) pricing Today.
The best deal I found was 1,059 per month for Myself and 1,012 for My Wife.
2 grand a month is not affordable for Me.
I know some of You will say ( would You rather pay a hundred thousand for a major medicle emergancy )
No I don't have a hundred grand, But I also don't have 2 K a month for insurance.
I was just wondering if any one has found a better deal.

Nope, not even if it were $50 a month. I'll sell everything I own, bury the money and let everyone else pay for mine for a change before i'll buy that crap. It's not meant to be insurance anyway.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ws23rt

Quote from: Tilar on March 19, 2014, 08:33:43 PM
Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 17, 2014, 08:40:04 PM
Let's not get political.

Have any of You signed up for Obama care?
I have been putting it off but looked into the ( affordable ) pricing Today.
The best deal I found was 1,059 per month for Myself and 1,012 for My Wife.
2 grand a month is not affordable for Me.
I know some of You will say ( would You rather pay a hundred thousand for a major medicle emergancy )
No I don't have a hundred grand, But I also don't have 2 K a month for insurance.
I was just wondering if any one has found a better deal.

Nope, not even if it were $50 a month. I'll sell everything I own, bury the money and let everyone else pay for mine for a change before i'll buy that crap. It's not meant to be insurance anyway.

I feel the same way as a matter of principle.  I've taken care of myself since I was 18 and payed hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes. I have payed my bills and collected my savings in investments to pay for myself when I can't work. 

If I now chose to pay for my own health costs I will also have to pay a fine for doing so.  Is that not forcing me by penalty to join a club I don't want to join?  And pay whatever the going rate is to do so?

I feel resistance as a very important matter of principle. Someone is trying to make personal choices for me. :eek2:

400/6/PAC

Wow
The President was just on Our local Fox 4 news talking about Texans not signing up, In what was said to be an exclusive interview.
He said Texans can get insurance for less than $100.00 per month.
I will post the interview when the link is live.

RallyeMike

440 / 6 / pack: The quote you got per person is about the same amount that both my employer and my wife's employer pay for our premiums. Part of our benefit package for working is that we each only pay a share of the premium, and not the whole thing. I am definitely not taking my position for granted after reading and hearing all the stories out there.

I guess what I'm saying is that a grand a month may be shocking to you, but my experience is that that's what a business pays. Why would an individual pay less? I guess that's what it seems to cost these days for health insurance (type of plan dependent of course).

If the Affordable Care Act is not repealed, I think the best we can hope for is that prices will eventually become more competitive in time. Right now, I think every insurance company is hedging themselves with premiums that are not bottom line competitive until they find out what the real cost impact is of covering pre-existing conditions and everything else that has been thrust upon them (protect the bottom line!). We can hope?

Of course the Affordable Care Act never addressed the real problems with health care in the first place, so even if competition does start to have an effect on prices, it still won't negate the drivers that have continually out-paced inflation for 20+ years. Look up what the cost of healthcare has been as a percentage of GDP 20 years ago and compare it to the percentage of GDP now. It's scary. The bottom line is that healthcare costs are going to continue to outpace inflation and wages, profits will continue to soar, and under the current healthcare act everyone will pay a little more instead of just most of the people paying more.

When someone finally has the political will to enact some tort reform, and we can change public views on illness and death, then doctors can then stop prescribing $50,000 worth of designer drugs to extend a persons life for 2 weeks without being sued. Only then will we be able to start getting control of the monster.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

flyinlow

Two of my wife's friends have signed up.  One women , mid 50's pre existing diabetes , got a silver policy for $459 a month. One women, early fifty's, healthy lower income but lots of assets,   qualified for a medicaid card .  I guess for them it was a good deal.

moparjohn

ACA, Well it's not affordable, for working people and small business.  I work for a great guy, pays mine in full, but his price will almost double this year.  My brother works at a large hamburger chain, his store, with mostly part time and sclool/college age staff, will go up 37,000 this year.  I do thank my boss and God that I'm covered.  However I do not endorse the give aways to people unwilling to work 40 hours week, just saying you should need to do something to earn your AC. And I aslo do not belive in paying for birth control or any "child" stuff" for others scince I do not use it myself.  do hope this response is not taken badly, just stating how it effects me. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Mike DC

QuoteBut then again this is the same guy that was shocked when he went to the GAP to buy clothes here this past month and was literally floored at swiping and signing the "screen"..

Yeah, it really shows how out-of-touch these heads-of-state are by the time they get there.  BO not knowing about signing a credit card swiper, Hillary & Cheney not driving a car for years on end, Bush#41 didn't recognize a checkout scanner at a supermarket in the 1990s, etc.   

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 19, 2014, 09:26:42 AM
Quote from: Steve P. on March 18, 2014, 06:21:08 PM

It is NOT OBAMACARE. It is Affordable Healthcare Act.

Prior to last fall, everyone, including the Big O himself referred to it as former, but after the disasterous rollout, the spin doctors quickly changed it to the latter. Funny how that works.   ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsW0l139JD0

I'm with "towel head" on this one.   Facts are facts...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: ws23rt on March 19, 2014, 09:31:49 PM

I feel the same way as a matter of principle.  I've taken care of myself since I was 18 and payed hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes. I have payed my bills and collected my savings in investments to pay for myself when I can't work. 

If I now chose to pay for my own health costs I will also have to pay a fine for doing so.  Is that not forcing me by penalty to join a club I don't want to join?  And pay whatever the going rate is to do so?

I feel resistance as a very important matter of principle. Someone is trying to make personal choices for me. :eek2:

Well said. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

I also agree, the raw precedent of requiring citizens to purchase a privately-sold product . . . that is EXTREMELY troubling. 

Car or home insurance, that stuff is a different animal because nobody is constitutionally required to own a home or license a car.  You cannot opt out of having a body.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tilar

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 19, 2014, 09:42:49 PM
Wow
The President was just on Our local Fox 4 news talking about Texans not signing up, In what was said to be an exclusive interview.

And what was the deductible? I'm betting it is at least $10k per year.
Dave  

1970Moparmann

Kind of funny how in the last couple of days there has been more discussion on pricing - on other sites also.  I was not aware of this, but apparently the pricing is based on income also.  Is this true?   I copy and pasted the original post on here and the response was this plan must have been because this couple has a high income. 

I'm beyond fortunate because my employer provides insurance for my family outside of $350 a month I have to pay.  I have my wife and three boys on the plan.

400/6/PAC

Quote from: Tilar on March 20, 2014, 05:35:32 AM
Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 19, 2014, 09:42:49 PM
Wow

And what was the deductible? I'm betting it is at least $10k per year.
The deductable was not mentioned and I can't find the link.
It was on Fox 4 Dallas last night 03/19/14 Mabey One of You can find it.

bull

One major problem with health insurance that existed before this current disaster (which the ACA makes no attempt to deal with it) was/is that health insurance is not viewed the same as other types of insurance. The idea of insurance, along with the definition of the word, is that it exists to make sure you don't get saddled with crippling expenses in extreme circumstances. If auto insurance was viewed similarly people would be buying brake parts, batteries and tires with their auto insurance policies but as we all know the purpose of auto insurance is to insulate us from getting decimated financially in case we are involved in an accident. Same goes for home insurance. We don't use home insurance to buy water heaters and new carpet but people think health insurance should pay for things like birth control and $900 visits to the emergency room for the common cold.

In response to this some opportunistic greed-mongers started jacking up the prices on items that used to be priced reasonably (because people used to pay out-of-pocket for them) and it snowballed into what we have today. I don't doubt there's some price-fixing going on too. The doc prescribes some medication you can't "live without" and not only does it come with a insurmountable price tag it also has a list of side-effects longer than your arm including stroke, heart attack and death.

Also, I suspect some pharmaceutical companies got together with some crooked doctors and actually invented and/or overstated the effects of some dubious diseases and then created expensive medicines to treat them. I can't prove this of course but it seems like there are countless syndromes, disorders and defects that can be "treated" by pills that each cost more than your monthly cable bill. We used to say that girl is a bitch or that guy is a dick but now their conditions and behaviors are excused by SAD or ADD or OCD or CFS, and I believe most of it is BS.

Indygenerallee

QuoteAlso, I suspect some pharmaceutical companies got together with some crooked doctors and actually invented and/or overstated the effects of some dubious diseases and then created expensive medicines to treat them. I can't prove this of course but it seems like there are countless syndromes, disorders and defects that can be "treated" by pills that each cost more than your monthly cable bill. We used to say that girl is a bitch or that guy is a dick but now their conditions and behaviors are excused by SAD or ADD or OCD or CFS, and I believe most of it is BS.

:yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

ws23rt

Quote from: bull on March 20, 2014, 08:22:18 PM
One major problem with health insurance that existed before this current disaster (which the ACA makes no attempt to deal with it) was/is that health insurance is not viewed the same as other types of insurance. The idea of insurance, along with the definition of the word, is that it exists to make sure you don't get saddled with crippling expenses in extreme circumstances. If auto insurance was viewed similarly people would be buying brake parts, batteries and tires with their auto insurance policies but as we all know the purpose of auto insurance is to insulate us from getting decimated financially in case we are involved in an accident. Same goes for home insurance. We don't use home insurance to buy water heaters and new carpet but people think health insurance should pay for things like birth control and $900 visits to the emergency room for the common cold.

In response to this some opportunistic greed-mongers started jacking up the prices on items that used to be priced reasonably (because people used to pay out-of-pocket for them) and it snowballed into what we have today. I don't doubt there's some price-fixing going on too. The doc prescribes some medication you can't "live without" and not only does it come with a insurmountable price tag it also has a list of side-effects longer than your arm including stroke, heart attack and death.

Also, I suspect some pharmaceutical companies got together with some crooked doctors and actually invented and/or overstated the effects of some dubious diseases and then created expensive medicines to treat them. I can't prove this of course but it seems like there are countless syndromes, disorders and defects that can be "treated" by pills that each cost more than your monthly cable bill. We used to say that girl is a bitch or that guy is a dick but now their conditions and behaviors are excused by SAD or ADD or OCD or CFS, and I believe most of it is BS.

:yesnod: Conditions or behaviors such as you mentioned.---SAD-ADD-OCD-CFS-etc are just that---conditions or behaviors.  They are not failings of our bodies or minds. They are instead identifiers of who we are.

Some are big and strong by their genetic predisposition. Others are not. Some can grasp complex math problems and some can not. Some have fair skin and burn in the sun. Some do not. Some have an energy that is do be admired and may be called ADD.

When a condition is identified and given a name there is a tendency to help with the condition by attempting to alter it when their may very well be good reason to admire the "condition"

We do not need to be all the same. And are better as a group that we are not.

As as group we need those that do well where others don't. They have a leg up in some areas and should be made aware of that as opposed to being medicated to conform to an unrealistic view of how people should be. :Twocents:

ws23rt

Just for the sake of expanding on this----

Suppose I were to be diagnosed as being OCD (for example :lol:).  If this was accepted as an affliction that needed personal attention on my behalf and medication only made me happy all the time.  :lol: Should I be entitled to special parking that was not only up front but had a wide buffer zone because my OCD required it?

And BTW stop calling me OCD It is no longer politically correct.  I just happen to like things just right.----or not is ok-- :slap:

Mike DC

Quote. . . but people think health insurance should pay for things like birth control . . .

Try suggesting that welfare recipients be offered free govt-supplied BC.  
Watch taxpayers get furious.

Try suggesting that welfare recipients be FORCED to take govt-supplied birth control.  
Watch the same taxpayers cheer for it.

principled outrage < common sense  

bull

Is that all you got out of that giant accumulation of verbiage? :lol:

Tilar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 20, 2014, 11:05:43 PM

Quote. . . but people think health insurance should pay for things like birth control . . .

Try suggesting that welfare recipients be offered free govt-supplied BC.  
Watch taxpayers get furious.

Try suggesting that welfare recipients be FORCED to take govt-supplied birth control.  
Watch the same taxpayers cheer for it. I'm all for that. Welfare is supposed to be only a temporary thing and they can go back to spitting out kids when they start using their own money

principled outrage < common sense  

How about someone suggest teaching welfare recipients how to fish? That way they can get off the government tit and take care of themselves. and not be on mine and your dime at all.

Dave  

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: flyinlow on March 19, 2014, 10:06:30 PM
Two of my wife's friends have signed up.  One women , mid 50's pre existing diabetes , got a silver policy for $459 a month. One women, early fifty's, healthy lower income but lots of assets,   qualified for a medicaid card .  I guess for them it was a good deal.

I can pretty much guarantee that the reason for that low of a premium (through the government) is that it's coming at the expense of people like me who have just seen their health care premiums skyrocket.   ::)

Let's face facts, health care insurance isn't free and the money to cover those who don't have insurance has to come from somewhere.

flyinlow

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 21, 2014, 09:02:04 AM

Let's face facts, health care insurance isn't free and the money to cover those who don't have insurance has to come from somewhere.

No, it's not free. The percentage of the gross national product that goes to health care rose from 10% thirty years ago to 20% today. By the time all the underlying fee's , taxes and lobbying expenses to get us to embrace the Affordable health Care Act are in place the percentage maybe closer to 30%.