News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are the 68 and 69 grilles interchangeable?

Started by rsw0331usmc, March 14, 2014, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsw0331usmc

Since mine is far from original, I'd like to go with a 69 look from the front and rear. Is the center grille piece and trim the only thing I'd have to swap? Are the top and bottom retainers the only thing holding them in and are they accessible without removing anything else?

Cooter

Better off finding, restoring a 69 grille, and swapping out entire grille. Hood latches are in diff. Spots. Therefore, the pita feature of converting. It can be done, but it's alotta work.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ryan

You would need to remove the entire grill and grill frame from the car. As cooter mentioned the hood latch and latch release are different.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

resq302

I think he was just talking about the grille part and not the entire set up with the metal cross piece which you mount the latch and release to.  If so, I think they are interchangeable with the only thing holding them in is the vacuum pod clip which mounts to the door arms and the plastic mounting spacers.  Granted, you would  need to pull the bumper off also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto