News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Marks performance engines - MOPAR DODGE 440 - 575 HORSE COMPLETE CRATE ENGINE

Started by shone190, March 17, 2014, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shone190

Hi guys,

do you maybe know something about Marks Performance Engines?  

I want to build my 440 engine but because I am from Europe, the best way for me is just to buy complete crate engine from USA. This engine I saw on E-bay is very interesting to me, so I need to ask you, what are you thinking about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-DODGE-440-575-HORSE-COMPLETE-CRATE-ENGINE-PRO-BUILT-413-426-528-NEW-BBM-/181351501648?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a39644f50

Is it possible that engine with these components have this power?  I didn't see any dyno sheet or something and just send e-mail to the seller to see some "proof" for 575HP/525lbft.

I see that seller have 100% positive feedback (registered since March 2010), so that means something I guess :)

Also, I see 2 years unlimited mile written warranty, so that sounds good too :)

Thank you for all help in advance.
Dodge Charger 440 1973, Audi URquattro 4.2l V8

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Thats basicly a resto build with a mild mild cam. I would give it 1hp per cube.

myk

I know you're overseas and it may seem easier to buy a crate engine, but I just want you to be careful.  Even if the motor has a warranty and the seller is on the level it'll be very difficult for you to take advantage of any after-purchase services like warranty repairs.  Furthermore, I don't know if things have changed over the years, but I'm under the impression that crate motors aren't really to be trusted; someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Personally, I'd rather that you or any other buyer just find a good local machine shop that you can trust to build a solid motor...

cudaken

Shone 190 a few things don't sound right! First is the valve sizes they are stock sizes. OK, yes they can make the stated HP, but need a way bigger cam and there goes his claim of good drive ability. Then there is the cam specks, only .484 lift can make 575 HP? Not with stock valves sizes IMO.

Next, the key to HP is the heads! Why is there no casting numbers for the heads?  :scratchchin:

HEADS: MOPAR HP IRON HEADS (WITH 2.08" I / 1.74" Exhaust Valves, ALL NEW PARTS: RETAINERS, GUIDES, LOCKS, VALVE SPRINGS MATCHED TO CAMSHAFT)

Does not say they are new or Mopar Performances high flow cast iron heads!  :shruggy:

Call there local BBB and see if there is any feed back.

Here is the states there is a old saying. If it sounds to good to be true, it probable is. If he claimed 400 to 425 HP, good chances it would happen and maybe a little more.

Cuda Ken
I am back

polywideblock

try these guys  http://www.cmengines.com/Engines/PerformanceStreetEngines/tabid/63/Default.aspx   500 hp  522ci for 7 K haven't heard anything bad about them
I'm in AUST. and am in the same boat were its cheaper to buy a complete motor that rebuild a core that they want 2800 for  :eek2:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

shone190

Thanks a lot guys, I see that better option is to build the engine here instead of buying something that can be bad, plus there is no option to return the engine :(

I will start the new thread regarding build up 440 engine, so hope you can help :)

Dodge Charger 440 1973, Audi URquattro 4.2l V8

redmist

That advert is terrible.

SO MOPAR!! MUCH FORGED!! CUBED OF INCHES!!! WOW!!!!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Challenger340

Quote from: shone190 on March 17, 2014, 02:17:58 PM
Hi guys,

do you maybe know something about Marks Performance Engines?  

I want to build my 440 engine but because I am from Europe, the best way for me is just to buy complete crate engine from USA. This engine I saw on E-bay is very interesting to me, so I need to ask you, what are you thinking about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-DODGE-440-575-HORSE-COMPLETE-CRATE-ENGINE-PRO-BUILT-413-426-528-NEW-BBM-/181351501648?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a39644f50

Is it possible that engine with these components have this power?  I didn't see any dyno sheet or something and just send e-mail to the seller to see some "proof" for 575HP/525lbft.

I see that seller have 100% positive feedback (registered since March 2010), so that means something I guess :)

Also, I see 2 years unlimited mile written warranty, so that sounds good too :)

Thank you for all help in advance.

ROFL !!
lets just say.... that I am somewhat skeptical of their "claimed" power output levels ?... by about 100hp.
No matter,
get in DYNO'd... in YOUR presence... to YOUR satisfaction... or do NOT buy it.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

69wannabe

Looks to be about a 425hp engine or in that area. My 493 cubic inch wedge doesn't come close to 575hp. Of course it is doable especially with a stroked 440 but with a stock stroked 440 and stock valved heads and that cam I would say that's a real stretch. Them hp numbers are possible with a 440ci but the drivability will suffer. I have been looking at some of the 440 build ups on here and they are putting up some awesome numbers, makes me feel bad about my stroked 440 when these stock stroked are putting up better numbers than what I have my engine estimated at. All I was trying to achieve for my engine was 515hp which I am pretty sure I am close to that.

Chargermoneypit

I want to bring everyone up to speed regarding this Marks Performance engines. I had a low mileage 1972 400 with 727 hooked to it. I listed it on Craigslist for $500.00 and have had several inquiries right away. I received a call from Mark who proceeded to insult me and tell me he is buying big blocks all over for $100.00 and that I was out of my mind. I thanked him and said sorry I could make that work but would consider it if no one else wanted it. He kept calling me back and raising his offer but still couldn't make it work. I was extremely polite but declined to want to deal with him as he became vulgar, abusive and down right insulting. Then came the non stop texts, threats and abusive language. HE WILL NOT STOP. I asked him to leave me alone and just move on but it seems that he can't. For crying out loud just let it go. What is with this guy. My advise is to stay away from anything to do with him. I looked him up on eBay and seems he has had a few unsatisfied customers and looked him up on BBB and nothing but bad reviews. Now I am letting all of you know about this guy. BEWARE

myk

c00nhunterjoe

That is piss poor customer relations. Costs for cores seem to be all over the place. In my area, big block mopars are cheap. I can pick up complete, good long blocks for $75.00 each. But i see other areas that want 500-1000 for non running engines. So its to each their own, but abuse over the asking price for YOUR goods is ridiculous.

Cooter

Used to be, I'd buy a car running for $500, yank the engine/trans junk the rest for recoup.
today however, that same 66-72 C body costs $5-8k. If I hafta dig it out of the weeds/dirt, fight bees, snakes, disease, etc. You ain't gettin my 440 'core' for $75.00.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Kern Dog

Quote from: myk on February 03, 2015, 11:45:26 AM
What a douche...

Maybe the wrong title for the guy. I'd bet he rarely gets near any womans privates!

69wannabe

Quote from: Cooter on February 10, 2015, 07:51:18 AM
Used to be, I'd buy a car running for $500, yank the engine/trans junk the rest for recoup.
today however, that same 66-72 C body costs $5-8k. If I hafta dig it out of the weeds/dirt, fight bees, snakes, disease, etc. You ain't gettin my 440 'core' for $75.00.....

Same here Cooter, all the 440's around here are $400 and up!!! Lucked out last year and found a 78 RV 440 complete for $250. Had to drive an hour and a half to pick it up but for the price and the shape it was in the drive was not an issue. Had another guy needing cash bad and picked up a 70 non HP 440 short block for $175. It was in fair condition and I am planning on sending it to the machine shop soon to make sure it isn't cracked somewhere. That would be my luck!!

v21hemicharger

Run from that guy.  I saw a post about him on another site.  Google  him first.  There are some reputible businesses that could build you an engine, just do your homework and if it's too good to be true it is.