News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Universal X pipe kit

Started by Dmichels, February 14, 2015, 08:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

Has any one used one of the universal x pipe kits on the market? Jegs has one for about $80. I can cut and weld I just need a starting point. My headers tailpipes and mufflers are ok. I am aware of the complete exhaust systems on the market but they are not in my budget right now.
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

cdr

yes i used the magna flow one.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dmichels

very nice
pros cons why did you pick that one?
Just looking for ideas
Thanks
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

cdr

i was able to get it cheap & it is made of stainless steel.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

charger1972

I used the Jeg`s one . Not stainless but mandrel bent pipes . 

Dmichels

Quote from: charger1972 on February 14, 2015, 05:01:01 PM
I used the Jeg`s one . Not stainless but mandrel bent pipes . 
How did it work for you?
68 440 4 speed 4.10

charger1972

I think it worked pretty good . But knew I wasn't going to have tails , just muffles and down spouts . Price was right and like I said mandrel bent , which is the main reason I bought it .

charger1972

Before and after all welded up .

Dmichels

That looks real nice I think I am going to get one
Thanks all
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

GreenMachine

If you choose stainless, make sure it's the higher grade 304 stainless. The lower 409 can be used after the mufflers, but will discolor if used closer to the headers such as an x-pipe. It seems they don't readily tell you that, but I would guess most of the reputable big name brands are 304. I would stay away from Pypes brand.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

charger1972

Quote from: Dmichels on February 14, 2015, 06:52:44 PM
That looks real nice I think I am going to get one
Thanks all
Dave
Keep in mind the kit didn't come with the collectors . Just realized they were in the first pic .

Mopar Nut

Quote from: GreenMachine on February 15, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
   If you choose stainless, make sure it's the higher grade 409 stainless. The lower 304 can be used after the mufflers, but will discolor if used closer to the headers such as an x-pipe. It seems they don't readily tell you that, but I would guess most of the reputable big name brands are 409. I would stay away from Pypes brand.
You have these mixed up, 304 is the one you want.
http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

mopar0166

X pipe has come and gone on my car, its now in the attic of my garage. went back to my 3 inch straight pipes with cutouts.  ill sell the x setup if someone wants it   

I wasn't a fan of the sound I got

Dmichels

Quote from: mopar0166 on February 19, 2015, 03:57:49 PM
X pipe has come and gone on my car, its now in the attic of my garage. went back to my 3 inch straight pipes with cutouts.  ill sell the x setup if someone wants it   

Tell me more you are not too far from me
What did you not like about the sound?
what set up did you have this on ?
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Kern Dog

The X pipe setup makes more power, that is a proven fact. The sound it makes was pleasing to me, but for those that like more bark, an H pipe or none at all might be a better choice. The X toned my exhaust tone down to a nice sound.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 19, 2015, 11:12:35 AM
Quote from: GreenMachine on February 15, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
  If you choose stainless, make sure it's the higher grade 409 stainless. The lower 304 can be used after the mufflers, but will discolor if used closer to the headers such as an x-pipe. It seems they don't readily tell you that, but I would guess most of the reputable big name brands are 409. I would stay away from Pypes brand.
You have these mixed up, 304 is the one you want.
http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932

Yes, I did have those mixed up, thanks for the correction, I corrected the original post to not confuse anyone.

GreenMachine

Quote from: mopar0166 on February 19, 2015, 03:57:49 PM
X pipe has come and gone on my car, its now in the attic of my garage. went back to my 3 inch straight pipes with cutouts.  ill sell the x setup if someone wants it  

My thoughts too, I was happy with 2 1/2" dumped at the axle, went with x to do away with resonance, didn't help. My next step will be resonators. Maybe good for squeezing every last HP, but not necessary for street use.