News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Priceless antiques ? Or should I bust out the marshmallows...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, March 15, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Old Silvertone wooden radio and 1950 Philco TV/radio/record player...

Are they worth anything, or should I just toss them on the burning pile and bust out the marshmallows ?

Cooter

I'd be ebaying that thing....I got a buddy that has his whole house/lifestyle set up circa 1956-1961.
I bet he'd mess his drawers for that thing.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Cooter on March 15, 2014, 05:15:28 PM
I'd be ebaying that thing....I got a buddy that has his whole house/lifestyle set up circa 1956-1961.
I bet he'd mess his drawers for that thing.

Show him the pictures.

I'll hook him up.

I really don't want to bother with ebay.

Too many idiots to deal with.

Humans annoy me.

These were my Grand parent's.

They've been sucking up valuable real estate in my spare bedroom for 20+++ years.

I'm never going to do anything with them.

I'm attempting to get rid of all the excess shit in my life that imprisons me.

I'm probably going to give them to the hare lipped nephew...

But...

If I can get some Charger money out of them, or trade them for something I can use...

Well..

Hare lip boy can just F@#% off.  ;)

twodko

Oh hell yes what Cooterman suggested. There is a definite market for vintage TV, radio and HiFi stuff......especially
when it's all in working order. There's folks out there who repair this stuff as a hobby but working pieces attract
serious money.

Shoot several nice detailed pix and ebay up. The UPS Stores, AIM mail centers et al offer specialized shipping
for this stuff.

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

rt green

oh yes.  there are collectors that would give there left nut for those.
third string oil changer

Chad L. Magee

Both of them are worth money, how much is a good question.  I really don't know exactly, but have seen vintage radios like yours go from as low as $10 to several hundreds in antique stores, depending upon the types (models) and conditions.  Are they still working perfectly or needing work?  The reason I say that is that buyers can devalue items rather heavily if it needs much work done that will cost them $$$ to fix.  I have a similar style radio that I bought years ago at a local garage sale that works well except for the original speaker (I temporarly hooked up a modern replacement to see it it would work and it did "crackel" to life).  It was built in 1941 and was specifically built to pick up radio broadcasts over in Europe and Japan during the WWII era.

Vintage TVs are getting very hard to find in working condition, even harder than old radios.  I would think that the one you posted is a fairly high end model based on the record player built in with it (that adds value).  The cabinet on it is really nice and I could see people wanting it just for decoration in their house if they are into vintage furniture.  You may want to search around online and seek out vintage TV collectors to get their opinions on this one.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

stripedelete

Chad's right.  You do see hefty price tags on stuff like this, but, it does not sell high. 
The buyers problem is the same as yours.  Space.
Same problem with Victrollas  and pianos.

twodko

Search ebay for the brand names of the ones you have. Might be a good starting point for you to access a base listing value.
You could contact some "antique" dealers in your area bringing in some pictures with you. They will lowball you hoping you'll sell to them for what you can get. Then these schmucks will turn around and ask stoopid money for them.
The internet is your friend here once again.

Daytona R/T SE

The TV thingie cost $551.98...

In 1950  :o

I remember my Mother telling me that when my Grandparents bought this, everybody in the small town they lived in wanted to come over to see it.

Most of them had never seen a TV before.

Drache

I've seen the radio sell for up to $300 here even in non-working condition. Yours has some damage so around $50-100. The TV thing someone will really want, especially if it works! If you watch that Restoration show on History channel or whatever it is, you'll see people pay big money to get old crap like that restored to working beautiful condition.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Daytona R/T SE

Todd Wilson

I collect antique radios and dabble in old TV's...................I have over 90 radios in my collection. Its a select group who collects this stuff. Please don't throw them away or burn them. If you don't ask a fortune for them you should be able to get rid of them fairly fast. Some old radios and tv's are worth a fortune (50grand) and others are not worth much. Lots of people think because its old its worth a lot and that's not always the case.

The Silvertone is a 1939 model radio. A Sears and Roebuck unit. Nothing really fancy or special. It was a standard living room console (318 car) of the time that the common family would have. In the condition it looks to me from the one picture 30$-50$ would be a good price. After putting new capacitors and resistors (50$-75$ in parts) in it and seeing if the wood cabinet will clean up and look decent as well as replace the speaker cloth cover you might be able to get 150$-200$ out of it.

The Philco appears to be in very nice shape...........I would guess on it 50$-100$ on it the way it is. If it was restored electronically it could bring 300$ or a tad more. Just a guess on this one. I can check with some friends and see what they think on the Philco.   Craigslist is a good place to post this stuff.

Don't plug this stuff in and see if it works as you could burn out transformers and cause problems. Both units can have some nasty voltages inside just in case you want to start tinkering around......you have been warned!   :icon_smile_big:

Contact me via a PM and I can try and help you get rid of them.

Todd

AKcharger

Old Moparz

I think what Todd posted was pretty accurate in terms of pricing it to sell & that "old" doesn't mean valuable. I have a couple of oddball items that I saved because I like them, but for the same reasons as yourself, I need to de-clutter & simplify life.  :lol:

There are so many cool things at flea markets & swap meets all the time & I've learned to "just look" instead of dragging it home.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've decided that since they have no real monetary value...

I'm just going to let the hare lipped nephew have them.

He'll probably paint daisies on them or something... :smilielol:

But what the hell... :shruggy:

twodko

Before you do that if you've been looking for some man cave old car stuff list these old electrics

on CL suggesting a trade for old car stuff. Couldn't hurt to take a few minutes to post an ad with

a few pictures.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: twodko on March 17, 2014, 01:27:08 PM
Before you do that if you've been looking for some man cave old car stuff list these old electrics

on CL suggesting a trade for old car stuff. Couldn't hurt to take a few minutes to post an ad with

a few pictures.

Old car stuff... :scratchchin:

I've got tonnage. ::)

Literally. :eek2: