News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio for 67 Charger

Started by chargerperson, March 15, 2014, 11:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerperson

Does anyone have any insight as to where I might find a 67 Charger radio in working order?
Thanks in advance

Ghoste

I'd start with the parts wanted section right here and follow up with a similar request on the 66-67 Charger forum.  There is always e bay too but the bigger trick will be finding one that has the el lighting operational as well.

shorty442

The EL was just for the 66's.  67s got a regular light, as did the console shifter light.
...at least that is what I've found in various related discussions.

I have a 67 Charger and have been sorting mixed 66 & 67 parts for years now from the previous owner.

A383Wing

nope...67's were EL lit as well...except for the AM-FM radios..those were bulb lit...

a lot of radios in the Chargers were replaced with a Coronet radio because the EL needle was the weakest link in the lighting system.....but from the factory, 67 radios were lit the same as dash

ODZKing

Bryan is correct.  That is a total misconception. The ONLY thing that was not EL on a 67 was the shifter.
The original AM radios from the factory were EL on 67. AM/FM was another story, they were bulb.
But 67 AM radios were EL.
There was one radio option in 66 - AM Music Master model 233 pn 2661223
There were (EL) 2 options in 67 - the Music Master (as above) and Model 381 "Deluxe 5-1/2 watt 'Astrophonic' AM" pn 2864709.

The model 370 which was AM/FM and was not EL. pn 2661222

And the non EL radio that looked the same, (Coronet radio) is model 232 pn 2661221.

;)

Ghoste

And if you check your underdash wiring Shorty, you'll see the white el wire going up there for the radio. :yesnod:

A383Wing

Quote from: ODZKing on March 16, 2014, 08:26:29 AM
That is a total misconception. The ONLY thing that was not EL on a 67 was the shifter.

and the optional clock or vacuum gauge on the console if the 67 had one

ODZKing

Quote from: A383Wing on March 16, 2014, 10:52:54 AM

and the optional clock or vacuum gauge on the console if the 67 had one
Well, was referring to standard equipment, but yes, Bryan is correct.  The clock/gauge was not EL in 67.

shorty442

Sorry, I sit corrected - bemembered the 66 vs 67 "Features" incorrectly and didn't think I saw a white wire on at least one.
But as pointed out, could be Coronet.  Obviously need to check actual p/n and info b4 spouting off again - my bad.

Thanks for the clearing my confusion folks.

Ghoste

It's all good, there are so many subtle changes with these cars that no one could know everything all the time.   Things you once knew are forgotten and things you thought you knew get confused with things you never knew and on and on.

chargerperson

Thank you for the information. It really helped provide a little background and eduction.  Additionally, a member offered me a radio in a separate message.