News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what to do now?

Started by kokxville, March 15, 2014, 03:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

I was working om my charger yesterday.I changed my steering column turn signal switch with harness and it works fine again  :2thumbs:
Now i have this butt ugly aftermarket grant steeringwheel,wich i want to replace with the original wheel i have laying around.

While looking at my steeringcolumn,i discovered some former owner of my car cut a piece of the tread of the shaft where the nut goes  :RantExplode:
So now i can't fit any Original charger wheel in it,or i have to replace the shaft  :eek2:

Any of you guys have other ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.
John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

kokxville

pic
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Mytur Binsdirti

It shouldn't be that difficult to locate a sterring shaft. Quit griping and just do it.     :lol:

charger Downunder

Looks like some thread left see if the nut will go partly on and lock tight it while you look for a new shaft.
[/quote]

kokxville

Thanks for the replies.
Mytur,any idea where to get one of these?

Overseas is more difficult to locate one then in the u.s. ;)

Charger downunder: there's not enough thread left.

I place a ad in the parts wanted section.  :cheers:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I love finding old rigged contraptions, NOT! :brickwall: That is bad, and unsafe!!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: kokxville on March 15, 2014, 06:07:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Mytur,any idea where to get one of these?

Overseas is more difficult to locate one then in the u.s. ;)

Charger downunder: there's not enough thread left.

I place a ad in the parts wanted section.  :cheers:

Yes, a wanted ad here is the best place to start. Also try Moparts. here's one I just found on fleabay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-69-ROAD-RUNNER-GTX-SATELLITE-B-BODY-STEERING-COLUMN-WHEEL-PAD-USED-/251472338898?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ceb5fd2&vxp=mtr

This has more parts than you need and it doesn't say whether it's for a manual or power steering though.

kokxville

moparsal

Morning John, I was thinking, any way of welding I piece of rod & then threading it?
That would be a lot less work &. money, if that doesn't work I have one,
Who's your buddy,
Sal.

TripleBlackGator

May I ask for the reason for swapping out the turn signal switch?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

kokxville

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on March 15, 2014, 01:42:23 PM
May I ask for the reason for swapping out the turn signal switch?

The plastic lever was broken because of it's age.It's i common thing.Besides that i have a new dash harness,and now my turnsignal has also a new harness. :cheers:

tan top

oh crikey !!  :brickwall:  what about as a temporary fix , drill & tap a hole in the end of the shaft , for a bolt & with a large flat washer  :scratchchin: don't want to go too crazy  bolt diameter , as will make the shaft too thin

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Arigmaster

Make a cut in the existing thread remaining from top to bottom in the center. Then shave out a half moon about 3 threads deep. Get a piece of bolt or threaded rod and cut an opposing piece getting the thread matched as close as possible.

Once that is done cut the piece to obtain the desired length.  Slide a piece of clear nylon tube over the two pieces to hold them in place and use hose clamps to secure it tightly. Then drill a hole directly down the center and run a fine thread tap through both pieces where you drilled it out.

Once completed, drill out the thread on your add on shaft. then match the two pieces up again and run a fine thread pan head style (fine thread) screw with thread lock down the middle of the two pieces to draw it down tight. Follow up by chasing the thread on the shaft. Now you should have enough for your OEM steering wheel. 

Or......  Just replace the whole damn thing like My tur said.

Kern Dog

I crack up everytime I read the OPs screen name. Its like an alternative name to San Francisco.

six-tee-nine

Everything is fixable, but if you want to do that right you'll need to weld a new piece to the existing shaft. That means tearing it apart (cant weld inside your car unless you want a new interior).
Its alot of work and takes some skill to get everything right ant cut the new thread....

I would search for another shaft knowing more than anyone what overseas buying means. but there also is the safety factor. What "IF" some half ass solution or weld snaps when you're slamming trough the gears of that 440?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

BrianShaughnessy

Did you consider seeing if there's another grant wheel thats more to your liking...  such as the repro tuff wheel?

Original wheels are too big...  it's a car,  not the Titanic.    Unless you're running manual steering and need the extra oomph...
:Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kokxville

Thanks for the replies  :cheers:
I'm going to try to fix it without changing the shaft first.I can always order one i the future.

I want to have my original steeringwheel in the car.I don't have powersteering  :angel: