News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are '68 Charger doors any different from '70 doors?

Started by fozz71, March 08, 2014, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fozz71

Just wondering as it came up yesterday.

Thanks,
Jim

70 sublime

The door lock button on the inside is near the back on a 68 and farther ahead on a 69 and 70
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JB400

68 doors have the door locks farther to the back.  The linkage for this would be different as well.  Also, the 68's would have black door buttons whereas the 70 would have chrome.

Ghoste

Beyond that though, they will physically interchange.

mAdMoPaR

Hmmm...
AMD only shows one number for shells and one for skins to cover all three years. Just ordered one skin for my 68 a few days ago from jegs. Did not think about linkage possibly being am issue.

Ghoste

Skins and shells are the same, it's only the door lock button that moved.

Mike DC

What about the hole that the lock button comes up through?  That has to move too, unless AMD doesn't do it at all on any of the years. 

The bigger gripe against the AMD doors has been the tail ends of the scallops protruding outside the 1970 R/T door scoops. 

Ghoste

bill440rt

The hole that the door lock button is further forward in '69/'70.
Also, '69/'70 used a different pivoting linkage for the door lock rod that gets bolted to the back of the door area by the latch. Not sure if those holes would be on a '68 door. '68 window mechanisms also used a different metal stop that is bolted in the area covered by the trim panel. Not sure if this hole is present on AMD doors.
These are minor differences that can be remedied, but thought it was worth mentioning.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I'm too lazy to go look but there must be a photo of the shell on the AMD website?

mAdMoPaR

Got my AMD skin and don't see much difference. Mind you my original door is a bit mangled in the handle area.

Ghoste

Correct, that outer skin shouldn't be any different.

don duick

I have wondered about this for many years as I have 68 doors on my 70. {they were replaced because a forklift smashed into the car at  the dock}  Now I have 2, 70 chargers the other 70 charger has the original doors. The 70 charger with 68 doors has smaller gaps ie the 68 doors are bigger by about one or two millimetres especially the gap between the door and the sill. One theory is that each factory produced its own panels and there may be minor variations between the different presses. I also noticed that the 68 doors are very straight and neat along the lower fold whereas the 70 door is bowed and has a rougher fold over the frame and definitely looks factory.