News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to fix bumpsteer?

Started by 375instroke, April 04, 2014, 01:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I remember procedures in the DC Chassis book, but can't find mine.  Anyone know the procedures?  They are processes like elongating the pitman arm mount holes and adjusting it, and adjusting the steering box, if I remember.  My suspension is still apart, but when it's together, I'd like to be able to do what needs to be done.

HPP

That is part of it. You may need to move the idler and pitman mounts to the center link up or down and this is the slotting/shimming you talk of.  Similarly, the tie rod ends at the spindle may need to move down as well. However, there is no simple formula like move a tie rod down .25 and remove your bump. You have to check and tweak.

MSRacing89

Quote from: 375instroke on April 04, 2014, 01:27:52 AM
I remember procedures in the DC Chassis book, but can't find mine.  Anyone know the procedures?  They are processes like elongating the pitman arm mount holes and adjusting it, and adjusting the steering box, if I remember.  My suspension is still apart, but when it's together, I'd like to be able to do what needs to be done.

We have worked on our bump steer simply by spacing the outside tie rod down. I think we are at around 1.25" down. We used a Ford style 7 degree pivot with a stud on the other end. In combo with spacers and a heim joint.

Speedway motors has what you need.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.