News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Rallye Dash Removal Question

Started by gibber, March 04, 2014, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibber

I am working on a 70 rallye dash for a customer and he wants me to remove the old cluster and install the new one (its actually for a 70 RR but the dash is the same I think). Any hints on taking the old cluster out? I can do the first gen Chargers in my sleep, and it looks like those are much more difficult to remove and install. Any info would be most appreciated...

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com

b5blue

Just lower the steering column about 2 inches or so and it will clear enough to get to the rear attached wires.  :2thumbs:

gibber

Thanks,

I would guess that the steering column is like the 67 Chargers, you have to unfasten the mounting plate at the firewall to lower the column? In addition to the bracket bolts under the dash....(Collapsible column).....

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

b5blue

Right just get it all loose, the top of the large part of the column gets to blocking the room needed to clear. (My car is floorshift so no indicator in the way.)

Dino

This is the same as a 69 I think so first thing you want to do is remove the radio bezel.  Either that or have super glue handy.   :icon_smile_big:

I always remove the column nuts under the dash and the 4 main bolts on the firewall.  The more the column drops the easier it is.  If it's a non a/c car you'll have the room to undo the speedometer cable.  If you can't get to it, remove the cluster screws and gently pull the entire unit forward while pulling the side of the light switch more toward you than the other side.  This way you can undo the wiring and with a small screw driver remove the spring steel retainer holding the vacuum unit on the light switch.  As you unhook everything from left to right, the cluster will move out more and more.  Last thing to undo is the two nuts holding power wires to the ammeter.  Installation is actually a bit easier imo but be sure to have a piece of cardboard or something on top of the lower dash pads as the cluster will be resting on it.

The bezels are the easiest to ruin, the rest of the cluster is strong enough to take a hit or two.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

gibber

Thanks Dino. I appreciate the advice. This is a 70 RR so no vacuum switch to deal with, which sounds like a good thing!

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

XH29N0G

If you have not already, take a look at:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.msg419676.html#msg419676

Also cover the steering column (I heard tape works), because it does scratch
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

gibber

Thanks, I have taken out quite a few 66/67 Charger clusters and even with the steering column dropped, a towel on the column is a must....appreciate the advice...

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com