News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can I test my instrument voltage regulator?

Started by WH23G3G, March 07, 2014, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I just got all my gauges and speedometer rebuilt and calibrated by Instrument Specialties for my 65 A-body Valiant. I've got two sets of gauges the other is in the car right now that don't work too good. So I'm swapping out those gauges for my rebuilt gauges and a brand new dash harness. So I've got two instrument voltage regulators. Is there a way to check them to make sure it works correct before I put it in and ruin my rebuilt gauges?

A383Wing

I assume you are still running the original style "points" regulators?

Body case is ground, there will be an "ign" terminal, this will go to "+" side of battery...then use analog meter to measure the 5v terminal to see what it puts out. You will need to connect black lead of meter to ground also

WH23G3G

I'm not sure if it's a point type regulator on the instrument panel. It looks to be the same as the one on my 73 Charger. It use to have a piece of cardboard through one of the terminals don't know what it's for but it's gone. Is it ok to leave that off?  So if it reads 5v then it's good? Is it going to be at least 5v or a little less or little more?

A383Wing

if it's a points style, the meter will bounce from 12v down to close to zero and back up again

WH23G3G

Well I got to go to Summit and Year One tomorrow so maybe I'll just get a new one. I'll have more money tied up in harnesses and gauges probably than the rest of what I'm doing to the car. Probably $300 in rebuilt gauges and another $580 in wiring. It sucks it's one of the most expensive dash harnesses Year One has and they went up almost $80 from the last year's catalog. It says online if one these ivr's don't work it could mess up your gauges.

A383Wing

get the electronic one from RTE...best out there...

I did make my own years ago from 2 Radio Shack parts for under $10

Carrnutt

Quote from: A383Wing on March 07, 2014, 10:37:49 PM
get the electronic one from RTE...best out there...

I did make my own years ago from 2 Radio Shack parts for under $10

:iagree:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

WH23G3G

Is there a part number I need? What is RTE, not familiar with it?

gibber

Real Time Engineering, and your car requires an IVR-4 limiter from them. Best limiter on the market....

Mark
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com

WH23G3G

Ok I see that one. Within about the same price as an oem replacement one. But looking at the ivr4 installation instructions I noticed it had a condenser that plugged into the voltage limiter spots. I don't know if I'm suppose to have one of those on mine or not. Mine had a rusty one on it when I got the car but no gauges were working anyway. Then I pulled one from another 65 Valiant that didn't have one. It also said at the bottom of the website 60-65 A-bodies have a gauge with a built in limiter so it says they won't work, but I don't think mine has any built in limiter. Then what about that cardboard piece through one of the slots, I don't think I have that anymore. 

A383Wing

if you get the RTE Electronic one, you will not need that extra condenser on the back. The cardboard is usually missing on all the cars anyway....it's just there in case limiter gets pushed in too far