News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

settle me and buddies arguement.

Started by Cooter, March 05, 2014, 12:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

318 and under hood super charger?!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

Nwcharger

20k is a hell of a budget. I'm planning a budget Drag car that should hit 10's or at least 11's and hope to be under 10k. I bought a 2003 hyundai accent for 300 dollars that needed work from a customer the service shop I worked for. Put 250 into it and traded it straight across at a small used car lot for a 2 door 69 coronet 440 trim 318 (no motor or trans) Then picked up a motorhome for 200 dollars for the 440 and it was a 69hp 440. Then got ahold of a local guy for some valve covers and walked away with an 18 spline 4 speed crash box with scatter shield, flywheel and a hurst vertigate shifter for 700. Then i bought a weiand cross ram intake with sixpack top and carbs 1000. The car needs a cage, slicks and brake work but no bodywork besides a lift of hood and maybe a cheap f6 paint job. So far I'm in it 2450 and have quiet a bit of the big items for a fast car. Also have a couple truck Dana's and may modify one if I can't find a b-body one for a decent price. With a remaining budget of 7550 I think it can be done.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

BROCK

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Cooter

While I'm sure somewhere there's someone who can run low 10's with a car that was left to them in a will when a relative passed with $20k to boot.

That's not really what the arguement was about here. Having to buy most everything, I still say it could be done.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparsr2fast

Quote from: Cooter on March 08, 2014, 05:36:27 PM
While I'm sure somewhere there's someone who can run low 10's with a car that was left to them in a will when a relative passed with $20k to boot.

That's not really what the arguement was about here. Having to buy most everything, I still say it could be done.

:iagree:

Anyone with a very good knowledge of these cars, and some track time could build a 10 sec. ride with a 20k budget.  Some of the contestants on Pinks put together some pretty fast cars, and many of them were NOT purty... :hah:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Steve P.

I remember a few years back at Mopars At The Strip, a Cuda that had been rolled. No clue if he rolled it after building it or used a cheap body, but that thing looked horrible but went pretty damned fast!! Not that I would build a rolled body, but I bet that body could be had for next to nothing.. lol...  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Troy

Simple: ignore the stupid B Body limitation and build a Duster. If you don't care what kind of car it is then why limit it to B bodies? I honestly have no idea why people try to fight physics so much when it comes to racing. How about we build a mud truck using a Ferrari? Or a tow vehicle out of a CRV? Can it be done? Sure. But what's the point? I'm not going to try to live with a 10 second car on the street and, since I drive all the time, any money I spend on the "race car" is wasted. Soooo, if I had a race car it'd be dirt cheap and if I wanted it to go faster I'd start chopping stuff off to save weight. I'd never do it with a car I actually liked.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Steve P.

^^^^^   :smilielol: :lol: :smilielol:

In that case a Plymouth Arrow!!!!    :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on March 09, 2014, 01:03:02 PM
Simple: ignore the stupid B Body limitation and build a Duster. If you don't care what kind of car it is then why limit it to B bodies? I honestly have no idea why people try to fight physics so much when it comes to racing. How about we build a mud truck using a Ferrari? Or a tow vehicle out of a CRV? Can it be done? Sure. But what's the point? I'm not going to try to live with a 10 second car on the street and, since I drive all the time, any money I spend on the "race car" is wasted. Soooo, if I had a race car it'd be dirt cheap and if I wanted it to go faster I'd start chopping stuff off to save weight. I'd never do it with a car I actually liked.

Troy

The limits of the B body are exactly the point. Anybody can go fast, even cheap, with a 500 hp engine in a go kart.
"But what's the point?". Even my buddy knows that one.
Sure driving your Charger daily, with all the morons on the road is your choice, but "what's the point?"...
why not just leap frog on over to crotch rockets? I mean anybody can go fast on one of those but, "what's the point?"..
At least this thread ain't got atheists, southern Baptists, and the undecided going at it, but "what's the point?" Right?
Anyway, back on topic. My buddy swears having to buy most everything, he seems to think it cannot be done.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparsr2fast

Are you going to award the 20k to the guy with the most likely ideas to build it for you Cooter?  Some people love the build/challenge more then the car itself. Then you can collect the car after it is done, collect the wager money with your bud, and split it with the builder. I wonder how many ideas would come up under that situation... :scratchchin:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Cooter

Uh....no. no money to be made here, if it was, I'd be done built it to prove my point.

Steve P.

I think it is very possible. As long as it doesn't have to be pretty. Doesn't have to be top of the line anything and the builder was not getting paid. If all it had to do was break into the 10's and didn't have to stay together very long, absolutely. Especially if you can buy used parts.. Slicks, wheels, heads, headers, Intake and so on...

Hell, I have a truck Dana 60 in the shop with 4:10's in it and another 8 3/4 next to it for the ends and perches. 2 years ago I bought a 4-door 65' coronet for 100 bucks. I sold the engine for 300 and stripped what I needed from it. That car would have been perfect. It was already lightened due to rot!! An aluminum drive shaft from a truck. Channel the K-member for a non-power rack. Remove all glass but the windshield. Swiss cheese the daylights out of it once the 8 point cage is installed. Drop it close to the ground. Lose the charging system. Banana seat and a sissy bar... lol... 

This sounds like fun!!!!!! 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Troy

After further thought on the matter... if you buy everything then it will be a money pit. Your choices are to start with a car no one wants OR one that's a raggedy pile so you can get it cheap (OR both!). On top of that, you better be good at sourcing parts from a junkyard (I'm assuming leftover parts in your garage aren't allowed). Also, do you have to count your labor?

Here's a simpler and easier solution: buy someone else's race car. There are lots of them for sale at any given time and they've already been modified and taken the price hit. Most won't come with a motor so you can build what you want with whatever you have left.

I waste money on a lot of stuff that other people would find dumb - but I don't get in arguments about the proper way to waste my money. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

He finally come around after seeing for himself. I found a base 318 Coronet. He found a 440 block.
I told him he should go with one of the stroker builds here. He wants it to be reliable and a high ten car.
not to worried right now bout mpg. Just wants a solid old "American muscle".

I think (with my help) F&P Performance can put this thing in the tens for $20k and maybe still look good. At least I got him away from yet, another small block Nova.

Steve P.

HAHAHAHAHAHA....  Small block Nova....   :rofl:

I have a buddy here that builds race car chassis. He is damn good and fast and his price is better than I ever hear from anywhere else. He tells me all the time how a build is a build. He doesn't care what brand. So then I ask: So why are you alllllways building Chevies? He says: Because no one knows how to build a Mopar or Ford!! hahahaha...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

c00nhunterjoe

You mean one of these??

Quote from: Steve P. on March 09, 2014, 01:09:28 PM
^^^^^   :smilielol: :lol: :smilielol:

In that case a Plymouth Arrow!!!!    :icon_smile_big:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida