News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gluing carpet down?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, March 04, 2014, 09:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

We've got Dynamat and jute padding underneath the new carpet in our '73.  Should the carpet or jute padding be glued down?  What would you all recommend?

Thanks!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Dino

I would use a medium contact cement, like 3M's 77, to stick the jute to the dynamat.  Not a lot of it but enough to keep it from sliding.  I would not glue the carpet down but you can definitely use some double sided carpet tape in key locations such as near the rockers where the carpet tends to sag over time.  Do not however use a lot of it.  I use very small amounts of this tape to stick together two thick pieces of hardwood to run through a saw or router and I'm always shocked when I have a hell of a time to separate the two afterwards.   :icon_smile_big:

You want to be able to remove the carpet in case it gets damaged without ruining what's underneath so less is more.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

sanders7981

X3.... Glue the jute to keep it in place, but not the carpet. I did use a medium coat of 3m 77 around the outer edges once I got it all laid out flat to keep it in place, but it can easily be pulled up to remove if needed. 

twodko

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2014, 10:09:33 PM
I would use a medium contact cement, like 3M's 77, to stick the jute to the dynamat.  Not a lot of it but enough to keep it from sliding.  I would not glue the carpet down but you can definitely use some double sided carpet tape in key locations such as near the rockers where the carpet tends to sag over time.  Do not however use a lot of it.  I use very small amounts of this tape to stick together two thick pieces of hardwood to run through a saw or router and I'm always shocked when I have a hell of a time to separate the two afterwards.   :icon_smile_big:

You want to be able to remove the carpet in case it gets damaged without ruining what's underneath so less is more.

Dino,

I've used double sided tape in my woodshop as well. I found that using a heat gun gets that tape off pretty easy. Any residue left comes off with lacquer thinner.
I know you already use a glue gun for other stuff. I can't tell you how many boards I've milled flat in my thickness planer using a sled and hot glued shims.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

Quote from: twodko on March 05, 2014, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2014, 10:09:33 PM

Dino,

I've used double sided tape in my woodshop as well. I found that using a heat gun gets that tape off pretty easy. Any residue left comes off with lacquer thinner.
I know you already use a glue gun for other stuff. I can't tell you how many boards I've milled flat in my thickness planer using a sled and hot glued shims.

The hot glue works real well for numerous tasks but I love the ease of using the tape.  Last time I used it was when I stuck a template to a thick piece of alder to route a guitar body.  My problem is usually separating the two afterwards without damaging the somewhat frail Masonite.  As you will know, the edges need to be super smooth or the template becomes useless.  I never tried the heat gun though so thanks for the tip!   :2thumbs:

So what do you usually build Tom?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ACUDANUT

Never heard of gluing the carpet down.  :Twocents:

twodko

Dino, I'll post some pictures in the next days or two.

I'm really good at making kindling and lots 'o sawdust.  :lol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 05, 2014, 06:00:37 PM
Never heard of gluing the carpet down.  :Twocents:

Not glued here either :scratchchin:

tfdub

It looks like the carpet was glued down in my 74 Rallye. There's places where the jute is stuck to the floor pans and it looks like a contact cement was sprayed in some areas. I removed the original carpet and jute from the car. I'll need to photograph and include pics of the areas where it looks like glue was applied.
Terry