News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk paint

Started by chargerrtmikey, January 30, 2014, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerrtmikey

Was the trunk fully painted at the factory or just the floor?

chargerrtmikey

maxwellwedge

Fully painted body color....but they didn't go crazy trying to do a great job. Bottom of the parcel shelf usually got nothing on it.

Lord Warlock

If it was coated with undercoating, the floor, package tray and wheelwell areas are body colored, but the insides of the rear fenders were coated with a greyish undercoating and weren't painted to match.  The middle of my floor never had much color on it and was covered with the grey plaid rubber mat.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

chargerrtmikey

That's what my paint guy thought that just a small amount on the trunk floor was painted the body color

Lord Warlock

When i paint the trunk floor on mine i'll be painting all of the trunk floor y3 cream, may even paint the inside fenders and just recoat with undercoating afterwards.  It was a thin kind of undercoat there, compared to the stuff under the car. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bill440rt

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 30, 2014, 01:56:18 PM
Fully painted body color....but they didn't go crazy trying to do a great job. Bottom of the parcel shelf usually got nothing on it.

Right.
Trunk inside should be body color. Paint was thin, but it got color. Especially the floor and rear body panel. The plenum under the window got a dusting of color, thinner as it got back toward the seat area.
The sides of the quarters got color, but again sometimes light and undercoating may not have gotten full coverage with paint.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

Here you go.

Gray primer plainly visible in a lot of areas.  Thin paint.    Don't do this. 

HeavyFuel

two more

chargerrtmikey

Great info guys! Thanks

Lord Warlock

Always like to show progress when it occurs.  Seam sealed the new trunk floor in, welds complete. globbed on with a brush.  Looked pretty good considering the original sealer was all over the place.  factory must have used a bigger brush.  :) Center seam is new and could always smooth over better but it will be covered by a mat so not too concerned.  Primered the entire trunk floor after the pictures were taken, can add those later. 

Headliner is getting put in ...slowly...but a friend who has been doing it 20 years is better than me doing it, should be done on his next trip.  Changing the trim color to bluebird brown to match the dash and upper door panels.  It won't be in till later, but it's ready to go today.

Also pulled the rest of the old fuel line out, and started fishing the new fuel line from trunk to engine bay.  Getting the gas tank prepped to install. 

Lord Warlock

The gas gauge wire that plugs into the gas tank sending unit, does it feed through one of the upper floor holes near package tray or the side? Found a wire with a grommet attached mixed into the tail light wires when pulled out of the way previously.  Only thing i can think of for the connector is for the gas tank, nothing else back here uses that type of connector.  Will climb in and see where i can feed it tomorrow.  Have to touch up the gas tank straps, not sure what color to paint them, new tank is going in unpainted, maybe cleared.

hemi-hampton

The underside of mine got some paint. LEON.