News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any tricks to removing/replacing speedometer cable?

Started by XH29N0G, February 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

It looks pretty straightforward, but I thought I would ask.  Are there any tricks/precautions to take when removing and replacing a speedometer cable?

It looks to me like I disconnect from speedo and from transmission and feed out through the place where it passes through the firewall.  I am assuming I do the reverse when reinstalling.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

JamieZ

When you remove the cable from the trans...it may leak some fluid.  Not much but you probably want something to catch it.
Installing the new cable, there are 2 tricky bits, the grommet and attaching it to the speedo.
The cable has a clip portion on the end of it.  You need to be careful when installing/removing it that you do not break the clip (particularly on install).  If the clip breaks the cable can wander off the back of the speedo.

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

JamieZ

It's some type of rubber so it would probably help if it was warm (i.e. not installing it in a 40* F garage).  Some people swear by soapy water to help them slip in, but in my experience it just makes them a pain to grip. Some of the grommets have a big and a small side.  Install it from the big side and push the small side through....doing it the other way may be possible but it's a lot more work.

Access is a problem....assuming the car is together.  They tend to enter the firewall kind of low so it's hard to reach from the top and from the bottom there's a lot of stuff (exhaust, suspension, etc) in the way.   You can get it from inside the car, but again the entry point is low.  Pulling the front seat so you can lay on the floor makes it easier.....like most work under the dash....otherwise you'll be on your back or kneeling next to the car (unless you are lucky and have a lift).  An extra set of hands may help as well.....having someone to pull/push on the other side would be nice....but I never have that :)

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us.