News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

That truck driver you flipped off? Let me tell you his story.

Started by TruckDriver, February 26, 2014, 06:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

THIS IS A GOOD READ FOR EVERYONE, and it is a true story written by the drivers dispatcher. I been driving truck 32 year this year, and I been in this drivers shoes 3 times, the last time was in 2009 when my dad passed away. This story is personal to me.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/126619568.html

Let me tell you a little about the truck driver you just flipped off because he was passing another truck, and you had to cancel the cruise control and slow down until he completed the pass and moved back over.

His truck is governed to 68 miles an hour, because the company he leases it from believes it keeps him and the public and the equipment safer.

The truck he passed was probably running under 65 mph to conserve fuel. You see, the best these trucks do for fuel economy is about 8 miles per gallon. With fuel at almost $4 per gallon -- well, you do the math. And, yes, that driver pays for his own fuel.

He needs to be 1,014 miles from where he loaded in two days. And he can't fudge his federally mandated driver log, because he no longer does it on paper; he is logged electronically.

He can drive 11 hours in a 14-hour period; then he must take a 10-hour break. And considering that the shipper where he loaded held him up for five hours because it is understaffed, he now needs to run without stopping for lunch and dinner breaks.

If he misses his delivery appointment, he will be rescheduled for the next day, because the receiver has booked its docks solid (and has cut staff to a minimum). That means the driver sits, losing 500-plus miles for the week.

Which means his profit will be cut, and he will take less money home to his family. Most of these guys are gone 10 days, and home for a day and a half, and take home an average of $500 a week if everything goes well.

You can't tell by looking at him, but two hours ago he took a call informing him that his only sister was involved in a car accident, and though everything possible was done to save her, she died. They had flown her to a trauma hospital in Detroit, but it was too late.

He hadn't seen her since last Christmas, but they talked on the phone every week. The load he is pulling is going to Atlanta, and he will probably not be able to get to the funeral.

His dispatcher will do everything possible to get him there, but the chances are slim. So he has hardly noticed your displeasure at having to slow down for him. It's not that he doesn't care; he's just numb.

Everything you buy at the store and everything you order online moves by truck. Planes and trains can't get it to your house or grocery store. We are dependent on trucks to move product from the airport and the rail yards to the stores and our homes.

Every day, experienced and qualified drivers give it up because the government, the traffic and the greedy companies involved in trucking have drained their enthusiasm for this life.

They take a job at a factory if they can find it, and are replaced by an inexperienced youngster dreaming of the open road. This inexperience leads to late deliveries, causing shortages and higher prices at the store, and crashes that lead to unnecessary deaths.

It is even possible that is what led to the death of this driver's sister.

This is a true story; it happened last week. The driver's name is Harold, and I am his dispatcher.

Dan Hanson, of Belle Plaine, Minn., is a fleet manager.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Paul G

It is extremely annoying when two trucks are running side by side on the highway. I want to get where I am going just as much as the truck driver. I never knew the trucks were speed limited though. That would explain the extremely slow rate at which they pass each other.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ws23rt

I enjoyed and appreciated the read.

What it reminded me of was that we travel on the roads with many vehicles and tend to see them as obstacles that block our path.

They are however people with a vehicle wrapped around them.  And for every one there is a story about why they are on that road at that time. The common factor we all have is we would rather be where we are going than going where we want to be.

I do recall the day when it was fun to just go for a drive but that happens not so much these days.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Paul G on February 26, 2014, 08:35:39 PM
It is extremely annoying when two trucks are running side by side on the highway. I want to get where I am going just as much as the truck driver. I never knew the trucks were speed limited though. That would explain the extremely slow rate at which they pass each other.

Most trucks, not all are governed. Mainly the bigger companies do that because of insurance reasons. And those speeds can be between 60 and 70. The company I work for the trucks are set at 63 mph. And yes, we hate it too.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Dino

My dad and my brother are truck drivers, I know all about the speed limiter.  When a truck in front of them goes 1 mph slower they are almost forced to pass him, even if it takes a very long time to do so.  I see both sides of the story and in short, the speed limiter does more harm than good.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

TruckDriver

I agree to a point. But really, there is no need for a truck to run over 75 mph. And I have driven a few trucks with no governors that would do well over 90. But even I do not want to be around a truck loaded with 43 tons of freight running 80+. If a steer tire blows out at 60 mph, it is hard to keep control. At 80+ no way it's happening. The guy is going to crash.
PETE

Dino

There's also no need for any street car to go over 90 either.  The point is that that professional driver needs to drive at a safe speed and that is not necessarily below 70.  I know why the trucks have limiters but I don't agree that was the best solution to the problem. 

moparsr2fast

I am on the interstate 6 days a week although I am not a driver. My question:  is if truck A is passing truck B, and it takes in the neighborhood of several miles covered before said action is completed, why does not truck B slow down just a few mph to allow for truck A to get around him a bit quicker, thereby freeing up the congestion of vehicles behind?
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Dino

Quote from: moparsr2fast on February 27, 2014, 11:51:41 AM
I am on the interstate 6 days a week although I am not a driver. My question:  is if truck A is passing truck B, and it takes in the neighborhood of several miles covered before said action is completed, why does not truck B slow down just a few mph to allow for truck A to get around him a bit quicker, thereby freeing up the congestion of vehicles behind?

Because they are already on an insane time limit and slowing down is not an option.  If you do that for every truck you never get there.  I hate it as much as the next guy but I can understand both drivers.

Lord Warlock

I for one have never flipped off a tractor trailer truck,  the odd pickup possibly but rarely give a one finger salute anymore, too much risk of road rage and gun toting owners here in florida or the truck just weaving a little and flattening my car.  When did trucks get speed limiters put in?  I have noticed that trucks are going much slower on the highway now than they used to.  They used to drive close to 80 now they tend to be around 65 to 70 which is the speed limit on the highway.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Cooter

As annoying as it is, I cuss, don't flip off anyone in the state of Va. It is I believe illegal. Way too many cell phones with video these days.
I also have buddies that drive. The "4 wheelers" tend to frustrate them as much as they do.

If the trucks are governed, just wait till "4 wheelers" are too. Remember the Fed. Man. 85 mph Speedos?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Quote from: Dino on February 27, 2014, 01:33:38 PM
Quote from: moparsr2fast on February 27, 2014, 11:51:41 AM

Because they are already on an insane time limit and slowing down is not an option.  If you do that for every truck you never get there.  I hate it as much as the next guy but I can understand both drivers.
I would agree with both parties.  If the truckers have the road to themselves, Dino's comment is alright.  But, if they are both blocking a lot of traffic, then the trucker being passed should let up.

John_Kunkel

Even if the truck doesn't have a governor, it takes a while to accelerate 80,000 pounds plus to the speed needed to overtake and pass another truck (or car).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ponch ®

"his sister died, then his dog died, then the house caught on fire and...." :eyes:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Tilar

When I was driving I got that one finger salute more times than I can count. I just told everyone that meant I was number 1.  :D   My truck was maxed at 64 on cruise control but if I pushed the pedal down I could get 66. That takes a good while to get around another truck but like was mentioned above, you're so limited on time and if you miss that time you are down till they get good and ready to unload you which can be the next day.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

moparsr2fast

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 27, 2014, 03:10:43 PM

Even if the truck doesn't have a governor, it takes a while to accelerate 80,000 pounds plus to the speed needed to overtake and pass another truck (or car).

I have seen time and time again, one semi take a mile or so to pass another semi, only to all of a sudden surge ahead of the passed semi and build some distance between the two.

While i try to extend every courtesy to a driver ( flash lights to let him know he is clear to move into my lane... speed past a consistently weaving truck that i have observed for some time, beeping at him because you can tell he is fighting to stay awake..etc),  i was once the recipient  of a 5 plus mile passing. By the time he got around the other guy, there were more cars stacked behind me then i could visually count. Sometimes it just appears that might makes right.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

TruckDriver

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 27, 2014, 01:41:36 PM
When did trucks get speed limiters put in?  I have noticed that trucks are going much slower on the highway now than they used to.  They used to drive close to 80 now they tend to be around 65 to 70 which is the speed limit on the highway.

Long before I was driving truck. I started driving in 1982. But not all trucks that run slower have governors either. Some trucks, especially Mack trucks, are gears for pulling and torque. The last Mack I drove would only run a top speed of 75, because that it the gear ratio in it (no governor in it). Kinda like putting 4.11's in a car for drag racing. All acceleration, but not much top end compared to a open rear like a 3.73.
PETE

Lord Warlock

Remember the Fed. Man. 85 mph Speedos?

Never seen an 85mph speed limit....perhaps you meant 55? 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Dino

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 28, 2014, 12:53:21 PM

Not the speed limit, the actual speedometer.  Look up a Delorean dash.   :coolgleamA:

Tilar

There are 80 and 85 mpg speed limits in Texas.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69CoronetRT

79 Cordoba
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

redmist

I have noticed a huge decline in the professionalism of truck drivers in the last 10 years.

From staying in the passing lane while not passing, Getting one car length off my back bumper while going 70, Intentionally crossing into my lane to make an exit (yup they see me) an forcing me off the road or to slam on brakes.

It goes on and on...

I realize they have time limits, but honestly most truck drivers I encounter around here are some of the most dangerous folks on the road. It wasn't like that a while back.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Patronus

Why haven't we heard about the drugs and prostitution so prevalent in this occupation?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

JB400

That is the number one complaint from me about the truckers, is getting a car length off of my back bumper at highway speeds and stay there.  If they're fast enough to catch me, they're fast enough to pass me.  No sense in filling my mirrors full of headlights. :flame:  All it'd take is one deer to jump out in front of me (or a gator) and it'd wipe us both out.

TruckDriver

Quote from: redmist on February 28, 2014, 10:14:01 PM
I have noticed a huge decline in the professionalism of truck drivers in the last 10 years.

I realize they have time limits, but honestly most truck drivers I encounter around here are some of the most dangerous folks on the road. It wasn't like that a while back.

You are right, there is a serious decline. Lot of it is because of all the rule and government regulations that are strangling the industry.

I agree with you totally. And a lot of the drivers now are not trained properly like we were years ago. Now it is like a machine... push them out as fast as you can. It is wrong and NOT ALL SCHOOLS are like that, but some companies that train there drivers are. Again, a lot of it is because of driver shortage and the fact the freight never stops coming. And all it takes is a few bad drivers to tarnish the look of all the drivers.

Quote from: Patronus on March 01, 2014, 12:13:49 AM
Why haven't we heard about the drugs and prostitution so prevalent in this occupation?
Drug use is not as bad as people think it is now. Government drug regulations and mandated random drug testing keep it fairly low. Does it happen, yes, but it is not the majority of drivers. And prostitution, It is there the same it is in most large cities. But when aids came around, it help cut prostitution like that way down.
PETE