News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Simple Question...

Started by Ram07, February 16, 2014, 01:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ram07

When you build a fence, whatever...a foundation perhaps, you did deeper than the frost line....how deep do you dig?

I have a reason for asking, I'm not a dummy....although, I have to put up with some...please reply...

Ram07

Well, to give you a hint...have a buddy with frozen waterlines to his house (actually his whole street....which was just redone, last summer), he was told by this fine City's Engineer, that this years frost line is 12 feet deep...so his woes, are just an act of god...so to speak...

moparsr2fast

A fence, or a deck footing etc... is 36" here in the states
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Ram07

I live where is cold, 3ft min, most do 4 ft..

Ram07

be a hell of a basement to dig, huh....12 ft...

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

only frost line I have is in the freezer   ;D    no help I know but just sayin    :shruggy:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

moparsr2fast

Quote from: Ram07 on February 16, 2014, 02:22:24 PM
be a hell of a basement to dig, huh....12 ft...

Even more so if it was frozen the whole way.. :nana:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

oldgold69

here in the frozen tundra     a garage footing  is 4ft 8 in to the bottom  we usually dig fence posts 4 ft  but I put a piece of Styrofoam in the bottom of the hole this keeps the frost from pushing on the post columns  but we have frost over 5 ft deep where there in no snow  but if the snow is over 2 ft and undisturbed their is no frost in the ground you can stick a shovel right in

oldcarnut

I guess this may sound like a stupid question but what's a frost line and why does it matter  :confused: ?  I can assume what the frost line is but why does it matter for a fence post?  I've only seen here on the SE coast about a 2ft hole filled with concrete for a fence post.

Mytur Binsdirti

12' frost line; where are you, Alaska?

hawkeye

North Missouri, 3 foot under sod, 4 foot under roads, sidewalks or driveways.  If you don't get a post below the frost line it will keep "heaving" upward.

Ram07

Yes, the standard here is 36-48 inches, thought that was the case with, well...everywhere...Seems the city didn't quite did deep enough, and a water main broke...a entire street lost their water, not to mention a huge watery mess, the quickly turned to ice.

The City Engineer had a very fine, but somewhat confusing explanation for it...long story short...he said the frost line is 12 ft deep this here...not his fault... ::)

draftingmonkey

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 16, 2014, 10:48:15 PM
I guess this may sound like a stupid question but what's a frost line and why does it matter?  I can assume what the frost line is but why does it matter for a fence post?
The frost line—also known as frost depth or freezing depth—is most commonly the depth to which the groundwater in soil is expected to freeze. Building codes sometimes take frost depth into account because of frost heaving which can damage buildings by moving their foundations. Foundations are normally built below the frost depth for this reason.
The same can be said for fence posts. Depending on type of construction, a moving post & foundation can cause a fence to be pulled apart.
Attached are some diagrams of fence post construction and average and extreme frost line maps. Typically the average is used for most construction due to cost.
Ram07-to ere on the side of caution I would probably use the 48" depth.

HeavyFuel

Fixed!