News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clone car for drag racing

Started by cspracer, February 26, 2014, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cspracer

I have raced a 1970 Plymouth for many years. This car is a strong footbrake car, and runs a respectable 7.00 in 1/8th. I have always wanted to build this into a clone super bird, since no one would race a real bird. Is anyone else doing this?

Ghoste

There are a couple of wing car styled Pro Mod cars out there.  I don't know of any in other classes myself but there well could be.  I think its a good idea though.  :2thumbs:

Mopar John

I have a 1970 GTX drag car and have raced it for many years! It was my insperation to buy my Superbird.
At one time I had a 1970 Road Runner body that had been a drag car and was collecting fiberglass Superbird
parts with the goal of making a real fast drag car. Then things changed in my life and the parts were sold and
I never got it done. I havn't seen any of them here at the races I attend.
MJ

cdr

this is a real super stock superbird back in 1972, i say heck yea to building one for drag racin  :2thumbs:

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Nwcharger

Now that I have a real Daytona I've thought about building my Daytona clone into a king Daytona clone. Don't think anyone has done that yet. Do it :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

64dartgt

It would be pretty expensive to nose a wall with even a clone of a SB.

How about a nice Matador?    :scratchchin:

cspracer

It is kind of tough to think about laying out the money for the parts, if I put it into the car I could go a lot faster, but I have always dreamed of having a bird, and this would be the most practical way of getting one. It does not have to be a perfect clone, so I would likely not do working headlights, Vinyl top or mess with the rear window. I plan to talk to Mr. Janak about what he could do for me. I have attended Mopar event for 20 years, and never seen another one in a racing class other than Chip Kings Pro-Mod. I will likely race again this year at the local events, Farmington, Rockingham and Piedmont. Currently putting new aluminum water pump, housing and radiator to try to get the wheels a little higher off the ground!

UFO

Yes, but at the rate I'm going there will be a dozen already done before me.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

billssuperbird

Cooter

Dampened if I'd be racing a clone SB. Hard enough to take out a 2nd mortgage just to build it, let alone stuff in it in a wall.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BPTRacing

I started working on mine about 5 years ago. Bought an assembled clone body and took it apart to build a street/strip toy.

The goal is to have a car that will run SuperComp and still be streetable. The motor I have is 513cid, and the plan is for 2 GT4202 76mm Turbos and an EFI system.

The cage was started by a chassis shop in Indy. 2-1/2 years later, it was not done, and I found he MIG welded a few areas (According to NHRA all Chromemoly MUST be TIG welded).
So we had a disagreement :icon_smile_angry:, in which I had to pay $9000 to get my car back. None of the welds are completed on the bottom, and most of the cage from the main hoop forward will need to be cut out and replaced.

I am now waiting my turn to get it back into a friends chassis shop which much closer to me, so I can insure it gets completed MY way!
However, due to the economy, I am not currently gainfully employed, so the car has pretty much just been sitting for the last 2 years anyway.

The last thing I did on the cars was to have the body shop patch the rear quarters after I stretched them 2" to allow for the 21.5x33x15 "street" tires.

This is how the project sits as of right now.

One of these days I will get it done!  :cheers:

Scott

(anyone REALLY interested in more info on this saga - search for the long version of the story in my old thread "iced clone")
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.