News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car Insurances

Started by cudaken, February 23, 2014, 08:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Been daydreaming about driving Miss Lumpy (68 Road Runner) this summer and do not want to be looking behind me looking worrying about getting her impounded! So I need Classic Car Insurances and like some links.

She is not worth much, say $5000 to $6500 or so.

What kind of limitations does Classic Car Insurances have as far as when, and where and how far I can drive the car?

Cuda Ken
I am back

1974dodgecharger

I have american classic through geico, unlimited miles, can drive to work, park it there 2 a week, no limitations.

Hagerty limited me. 1 needed a new car thats max 7 years old as daily, can only drive the car up the trailer, down for display,  then back up to garage etc. Among other little quirks they wanted that I didnt qualify for.

I was surprised they said all this to me vs what I read online about them.

Forgot to mention american also lets me drive the car across country and still be insured. I can park the car outside a hotel while on trip amd im covered.

69wannabe

I have infinity insurance on mine. Can drive 3000 miles a year I think and it has to be in a locked garage when it is parked like overnight which is fine since I keep it locked up anyway and out of the crappy weather we've been having lately. ;D

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 23, 2014, 08:21:18 PM
I have american classic through geico, unlimited miles, can drive to work, park it there 2 a week, no limitations.

Hagerty limited me. 1 needed a new car thats max 7 years old as daily, can only drive the car up the trailer, down for display,  then back up to garage etc. Among other little quirks they wanted that I didnt qualify for.

Forgot to mention american also lets me drive the car across country and still be insured. I can park the car outside a hotel while on trip amd im covered.

On that American Classic, was there an agreed upon value?  Appraisal? I also looked into Hagerty, but they had too many restrictions.

I currently just have regular comp and collision through Erie, but they wouldn't give me a number on what the car is insured for other than "book value"  they say it's too old for blue book.   To have it insured for anything different it needs to be appraised, but my worry is depending on who does the appraisal it may come back less than "book value"  leaving me even more SOL than in the first place?  :shruggy:  My car looks like crap, but it's actually a really solid car I've spent a lot of time on, just doesn't have any shiny paint. 

1974dodgecharger

they told me 28k and if I wanted to we can increase its value over time if I added parts to the car in general that I bought.  I plan to put it at 32k.......since I feel I wont find one as reliable as mine.  No need for appraisals with them unless its a really high dollar item.

Homerr

Go thru the getting a quote links on Hagerty, all your questions will be answered!

http://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Classic-Car-Insurance

myk

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on February 24, 2014, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 23, 2014, 08:21:18 PM

On that American Classic, was there an agreed upon value?  Appraisal? I also looked into Hagerty, but they had too many restrictions.

I currently just have regular comp and collision through Erie, but they wouldn't give me a number on what the car is insured for other than "book value"  they say it's too old for blue book.   To have it insured for anything different it needs to be appraised, but my worry is depending on who does the appraisal it may come back less than "book value"  leaving me even more SOL than in the first place?  :shruggy:  My car looks like crap, but it's actually a really solid car I've spent a lot of time on, just doesn't have any shiny paint.  

Dump that company TOMORROW.  Even if your Charger was just a pile of rust and ash it's still worth more than their "book value."  Agreed value is one of the mandatory criteria you have to look for when hiring an insurance company.  As I've said before, I've got my Charger insured for far more than it's worth, but in the event of a total loss (God forbid) it would take me that "high" number to get back into the game again; you need to look at your situation in the same way.  Lastly, Hagerty, my insurance company, never bothered me with an appraisal, although I started out low and just kept increasing the agreed value over the years.  What are the restrictions that Hagerty imposed on you?  IMO their restrictions just make sense to owning and taking care of a classic car.  For example, I wouldn't want to drive more than their mileage limits, park it outside of storage, use it for work, etc. 

Ultimately, I say take your chance with a company even if you have to have it appraised; I wager you'll do better than any company's "book value." 

1974dodgecharger

Im happy with them like I said I can increase its value tomorrow if I want.  Just did not hagerty based on the two occassions I talked to them thats all. I drive the charger alot more than than the average owner.

cudaken

Hey thanks for he answers so far.

Ken
I am back

jaak

I have American Collectors. 30k agreed value, cost me about $260 per year.
Unlimited mileage, the only stipulation they told me I had to do was keep it in a locked garage when It's at home...which it was anyways.
I have only had one small claim, it quit on me late one night, I didn't have any tools with me, so I opted to have it towed home then I fixed it at home. I called, faxed in a receipt, and they reimbursed me quickly.

Jason

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: myk on February 24, 2014, 08:31:54 PM
Dump that company TOMORROW.  Even if your Charger was just a pile of rust and ash it's still worth more than their "book value."  Agreed value is one of the mandatory criteria you have to look for when hiring an insurance company.  As I've said before, I've got my Charger insured for far more than it's worth, but in the event of a total loss (God forbid) it would take me that "high" number to get back into the game again; you need to look at your situation in the same way.  Lastly, Hagerty, my insurance company, never bothered me with an appraisal, although I started out low and just kept increasing the agreed value over the years.  What are the restrictions that Hagerty imposed on you?  IMO their restrictions just make sense to owning and taking care of a classic car.  For example, I wouldn't want to drive more than their mileage limits, park it outside of storage, use it for work, etc. 

Ultimately, I say take your chance with a company even if you have to have it appraised; I wager you'll do better than any company's "book value." 

You're probably right.   I think it was NADA that I found an actual dollar amount on, I asked them if that was a reasonable comparison to what their "book value" would be.  Answer was yeah, probably...  The NADA value was actually somewhat close to what I would have wanted, like 13,000 or something.  Would have liked to have an agreed value of at least like 15,000 but that's where I have my doubts an appraiser would agree.  :lol: I feel that my car is worth a lot more to me than others, way too much time invested.  But, may be better to take the chance on an appraisal than chance letting the ins. company try to screw me if something happened.  I guess worst case they charge me a couple hundred for an appraisal because it came in under 10,000, then tell me I'm only covered for 2,000, and now I can't get any other collector type insurance because I don't meet their standards.  :smilielol:

When I was looking into hagerty I started hitting pretty much all the things already mentioned, no garage, no driving to work, newest car I own is 18 years old, etc.   

Brass

I didn't think Hargerty had a mileage restriction, which is the single most important reason I went with them.  To be honest, I haven't reviewed the policy in a while – has that changed??  If so, I will be back in the market.

JC Taylor wanted to restict usage to shows/events only.  Get real.    :slap:

Brass

Okay, I took this from their website - thanks, Homerr!

"Flexible Usage
Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use, so you can go for a weekend cruise or attend unlimited events with no fixed mileage restrictions**.
** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc."

bill440rt

Quote from: jaak on February 24, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
I have American Collectors. 30k agreed value, cost me about $260 per year.
Unlimited mileage, the only stipulation they told me I had to do was keep it in a locked garage when It's at home...which it was anyways.
I have only had one small claim, it quit on me late one night, I didn't have any tools with me, so I opted to have it towed home then I fixed it at home. I called, faxed in a receipt, and they reimbursed me quickly.

Jason

American Collectors here as well. Positive experiences with this company.
Others I know are also insured with them, also having positive things to say.
They have separate policies for stock & modified cars. Modified/custom car policies will typically have higher rates.
I haven't been hit with mileage restrictions, but they do require the vehicle to be garaged.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

terrible one

Hagerty here, no mileage restrictions and I told them I would drive it to work occasionally; they had no problem with that. Also a pretty good rate considering my age and that the Charger is "modified"

Homerr

I've only going through the quote system with Hagerty.  I put in something like 5,000 miles/yr and upped all sorts of other options with a value of $45,000.  Seemed reasonable at $465/yr.

I noticed they also have an option to call them up and add on mileage for a trip.