News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking for a Master key

Started by troy.70R/T, February 22, 2014, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Does anyone know where I can get a master key? how many different keys did the make? I have looked for a website but   I have had no luck, it just always directs me to ebay. just looking for a master key for 68 - 70 mopars. I am also looking for a master key that would open a 1960 pontiac that sits at my grandmas farm. it is my uncle's and he said that he thinks the motor in in the trunk in peaces. I am going to try and sell the car for him this summer but he has no idea where the keys are any more.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: troy.70R/T on February 22, 2014, 11:07:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a master key? how many different keys did the make? I have looked for a website but   I have had no luck, it just always directs me to ebay. just looking for a master key for 68 - 70 mopars. I am also looking for a master key that would open a 1960 pontiac that sits at my grandmas farm. it is my uncle's and he said that he thinks the motor in in the trunk in peaces. I am going to try and sell the car for him this summer but he has no idea where the keys are any more.

I know by disassembling the locks and rearranging the tumblers you can key

All of your mopar locks alike. :Twocents:

Is the Pontiac a Starchief ?

troy.70R/T

I know it is not a Star Cheif. I think it is a Catalina. Thanks I will try to do some research on how to do that.

polywideblock

mobile locksmiths (you know   help I've locked my keys in the trunk) will open and cut a key to fit any car lock, they do modern cars but will do yours  . might make life easier if you already had key blanks on hand(try e bay that's where I got mine)  . don't ask how I know this   :slap:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: troy.70R/T on February 22, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
I know it is not a Star Cheif. I think it is a Catalina. Thanks I will try to do some research on how to do that.

I used to have a '60 Star Chief. :coolgleamA:

Wouldn't mind having another one. ;)

There are only a few different tumblers used in the mopar locks.

Round up a bunch of old mopar locks and tear them apart.

Save the tumblers.

Match them up with the ones that are in the lock that the key you are using as the "master" fits.

I believe the tumblers are numbered.

Match as many locks to your "Master" key as you want.

I haven't done it yet, but...

As far as I've been told,

You can use one key for ignition, trunk and doors.

And you can make multiple cars fit that one key.

Now...

I wonder what I did with that bucket O' locks I used to have around here somewhere... :scratchchin: :shruggy:

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the help. well bad thing is the pontiac is a 4 door. but its gotta be worth something to somebody

moparsr2fast

This doesn't help anything directly, but i thought it somewhat interesting... i once owned a 70 charger, and  a 77 cordoba at the same time that used an identical ignition key. You could use either key in either car.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

A383Wing

the tumblers are different lengths...you are not gonna find a "Master Key" to work in all the Mopar locks

ws23rt

I had a 90 ply. acclaim for a few years and was leaving from a shopping center. I started the car and was about to leave when I noticed something odd.

The car was not mine :lol:  What are the odds of that happening?  Glad I didn't have to explain myself that day.

A383Wing

there's only what 5 tumblers in there? How many combinations would that be?

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on February 22, 2014, 07:25:32 PM
there's only what 5 tumblers in there? How many combinations would that be?

troy.70R/T

Ok so my next question is how many diffrent keys were there? I thought I read some where that there were only about a dozen diffrent keys for any single year.

A383Wing

never heard that....I figured one key for ignition & doors, and one key for trunk & glovebox lock....far as I know, key blanks were the same for cars through the 60's & early 70's.....

58pwrwgn

If there are five tumblers in the lock and only a few different tumblers,  then the number of key combinatons are probably 243, 1024, 3125 or 7776, if my math is right. Back in the 80's at the city impound auction the locksmith had a big ring with a few hundred key on each for some of the different makes.  He would try each key til he found the right one.

ipstrategies

Back in the late 80's I worked for Curtis Industries as a rep. We sold fastners, keys, key cutting machines and the the curtis code cutter, this thing was cool as you could cut a key for any car with this thing it was mfg specific dealers only need to purchase their brand, the code cutters where dealerships only.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Curtis-15-Code-Cutter-a-legend-in-Locksmithing-/10000000011225737/g.html
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

ws23rt

Quote from: 58pwrwgn on February 23, 2014, 05:25:04 PM
    If there are five tumblers in the lock and only a few different tumblers,  then the number of key combinatons are probably 243, 1024, 3125 or 7776, if my math is right. Back in the 80's at the city impound auction the locksmith had a big ring with a few hundred key on each for some of the different makes.  He would try each key til he found the right one.

I believe you are correct.  My number of 100K was based on ten positions for each pin (as is in an odometer) I don't know the number of positions on the tumblers.  Oops

A383Wing

only 4 to 5 positions for each tumbler pin....I think it's 5...looking at one of my keys here that have different depth cuts on the key

UFO

You guys make things so complicated.Here's a master key ,works on any manufacturer's vehicle. :smilielol:

58pwrwgn

If the mopar has the switch in the dash pull it out and take it to a locksmith. If it is in the column, pull a door lock and take it instead

troy.70R/T

Thats a good I idea in stead of having to have them come out and pay extra.