News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Light at the end of the tunnel

Started by Ponch ®, March 09, 2006, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I bought an engine for my Charger! It's a 360 built by Don Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena w/ about 10K miles. Those of you who have been around long enough at this and the other site probably know the story of my Charger and the intake/carb swap gone horribly wrong.

Now, I'm still not quite there yet. The engine is in a van, and part of the reason I got such a good deal on it was that I need to pull it myself (which I have never done before, much less out of a van). Right now I'm still trying to line up a hoist, a truck, and a couple of good buddies to help a brotha out - though it looks like it's gonna rain all weekend.  :icon_smile_angry:

Either way...like the title of the thread says, I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It'll still be a couple of months before the Charger is back on the road, but some progress is finally being made.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RD

sounds great ponch.  you should be able to rent a hoist from any ace true value rental department.  I think they run around $30 a day and you can tow the hoist to where you need it. 
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ponch ®

yeah, found a local equipment rental place where i can get one for $28/day or $70/week. Im having trouble getting a truck tho.

I'm also pretty intimidated by the task at hand, but Ive been reading up on it and getting some tips from Orange Crush.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

twilt

If the van is getting scrapped after the engine comes out, cut the front end off the van with a sawzall. will make getting the engine out easier.  :devil: :devil:

greenpigs

A van..aw man that sucks!

I don't have many tips for you as I never pulled a motor out of a van, drain the fluids is all I can say. I guess your not dropping the K member since you are renting a hoist.

Heck I thought you sold the Charger.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ponch ®

Quote from: greenpigs on March 09, 2006, 06:35:06 PM
A van..aw man that sucks!

I don't have many tips for you as I never pulled a motor out of a van, drain the fluids is all I can say. I guess your not dropping the K member since you are renting a hoist.

Heck I thought you sold the Charger.

nah man...i was just waiting for the right opportunity (and $) to bring it back to action.

The van isnt getting scrapped, but he's parting it out. From what he was telling me, the easiest way to pull it is to lift it from inside the van, remove the passenger seat , and get it out through the door.

The hard part, I think, will be getting to all the shit i need to unbolt and disconnect. 

Old Moparz

Congrats on doing some work, it's about time. :2thumbs:  Don't do what I did though, that was pull a 440 motor & let it sit a while. That "while" for me lasted about............well, I forget, but it was before I got my Satellite ragtop & that was in 1984.   ::)  I still have it & just talked to the guy at the machine shop about it for a later date this year. (Maybe?)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

73dodge

Congrats Man

If I am going to be in the area I would definitely take a day off and swing by to turn some wrenches with you and help you out.

You never know I have been getting some complaints from the Regional Call Center of Orange County job I did last August, I may have an opprotunity to head back out there.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 09, 2006, 07:16:02 PM
Congrats on doing some work, it's about time. :2thumbs:  Don't do what I did though, that was pull a 440 motor & let it sit a while. That "while" for me lasted about............well, I forget, but it was before I got my Satellite ragtop & that was in 1984.   ::)  I still have it & just talked to the guy at the machine shop about it for a later date this year. (Maybe?)

lol...no, just a couple of months while I paint the engine, gather other parts i need/want (mounts, headers, flexplate,  etc) and I detail the engine compartment.

Quote from: 73dodge on March 09, 2006, 07:39:56 PM
Congrats Man

If I am going to be in the area I would definitely take a day off and swing by to turn some wrenches with you and help you out.

You never know I have been getting some complaints from the Regional Call Center of Orange County job I did last August, I may have an opprotunity to head back out there.

sweet...ill buy the beer...preferably at that establishment with that buxom bartender.

Daytona R/T SE

I've personally removed a 360 from a van...Man, was that a BITCH !  I swore if I ever did it again I'd torch the van body off just above the floor pan, and start from there....but if you insist on doing it the hard way.....Remove the grille and front bumper, along with the radiator and everything else you can get out of the way, unbolt the tranny and the motor mounts, remove the carburetor, A/C compressor,etc.   choke that chain down as low as you can get it on the engine, stick the boom of the hoist in there and lift it up (you've only got about 1 " clearance ) and pull it straight out the front....

You are aware of the fact that you're going to need a car-type oil pan and pick-up tube?

Are you also aware that a 318 oil pan won't work on a 360?

Can you figure out how to get my engine hoist on the plane as carry-on ?

Are you buyin' the beer?

P.S.     MoJo....What the hell are you doing posting in the General Discussion Forum ?

Ponch ®

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 09, 2006, 11:53:25 PM
I've personally removed a 360 from a van...Man, was that a BITCH !  I swore if I ever did it again I'd torch the van body off just above the floor pan, and start from there....but if you insist on doing it the hard way.....Remove the grille and front bumper, along with the radiator and everything else you can get out of the way, unbolt the tranny and the motor mounts, remove the carburetor, A/C compressor,etc.   choke that chain down as low as you can get it on the engine, stick the boom of the hoist in there and lift it up (you've only got about 1 " clearance ) and pull it straight out the front....

You are aware of the fact that you're going to need a car-type oil pan and pick-up tube?

Are you also aware that a 318 oil pan won't work on a 360?

Can you figure out how to get my engine hoist on the plane as carry-on ?

Are you buyin' the beer?

P.S.     MoJo....What the hell are you doing posting in the General Discussion Forum ?

my original plan was through do it through the floorpan, but if i need to cut it that may not be an option, since the guy that owns the van might not wanna go for that. From what I was told, I could get it out without having to cut the floorpan inside the van. Im pretty nervous about it, cuz I have never pulled an engine, period, and I have virtually no mechanical know-how.

Id heard about the oil pan, but id forgotten about it. either way, i was gonna get a new one.

It goes without saying that whoever lends me a hand (or two) WILL be drinkin lots of beer.  :icon_smile_big:

jaak

where you live at ponch? I got an engine hoist with folding legs, heck I could help ya out to if your pretty close

Jason

Ponch ®

Quote from: jaak on March 11, 2006, 02:15:28 PM
where you live at ponch? I got an engine hoist with folding legs, heck I could help ya out to if your pretty close

Jason

im out in Chatsworth (west SF Valley) part of L.A. The engine / van are in Altadena.

pb24

I live near magic mountain, depending when you plan to do this I might be able to help.

jaak

sorry ponch,
I live in Alabama.

Jason

Ponch ®

Quote from: jaak on March 11, 2006, 03:08:21 PM
sorry ponch,
I live in Alabama.

Jason

aww dang. thats ok man, I appreciate the offer nevertheless.  ;)

Quote from: pb24 on March 11, 2006, 02:54:37 PM
I live near magic mountain, depending when you plan to do this I might be able to help.

I was gonna do it today, but the weather aint helping, so it looks like ill be doing it next saturday. Im also gonna try to get over there during the week to unbolt stuff and whatnot, so when i do get a hoist and a truck i dont have as much to do.

Telvis

I have always wondered how you get the motor out of a van. I have worked on a couple and it's a pain to work from the inside. I could not imagine trying to remove the motor from the inside. Take some pictures of the process. I think it would be fascinating to see. Good luck!

rt green

its really not that bad. just remove the trans first. i have gone from the front most of the time. i have put a pull plate on the intake after removing the carb.   when the mounts are loose, lift the engine up a bit,and remove them. it'll give you more room.
third string oil changer

bull

Seems like something you'd definitely want to pull out from the bottom instead of the top but it's a difficult thing to do without a hoist. If you have access to a hoist that thing could be out in no time dropping it out from the bottom.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on March 11, 2006, 09:21:47 PM
Seems like something you'd definitely want to pull out from the bottom instead of the top but it's a difficult thing to do without a hoist. If you have access to a hoist that thing could be out in no time dropping it out from the bottom.

how that done? I'd have to lift the van and drop the k member, right?

A buddy of mine sent me this pic of a 440 (I think, but its a big block for sure) that he pulled out of a van a few months ago. This is what leads me to believe that I could pull it from inside the van if i use a carb lift plate. Looks like theres enough room even with a big block. What do y'all think?

bull

There are various ways to do it and it's something that evolves differently for each person as it's being done but you could do it on the ground without a lift. I'd probably start by jacking the van up enough to slide beneath it, loosen the k-member and attached suspension, put a tranny jack (or something of the sort) under the engine, finish unbolting the k-member, jack up the van as high as possible, lower the engine as far as possible and then slide it out. The bad thing about that idea is the k-member is now out and you'd have to put it back in so the guy could tow the van off. Otherwise taking it out the passenger side door is the only way. I'd take the seat out of course and remove the door. You definitely don't want to try working around the passenger door during this process.

Steve P.

The 360 I have in the shop right now came out of a van. I pulled the tranny out first. Then the front bumper, grill, A/C condenser, radiator, shroud,top of core support,  fan, steering pump, alternator, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold and finally the motor mounts.

This was in the bone yard with no air tools on a very hot day.  The pisser for me was that I was taking too many drugs and could NOT drink any beer!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger_Fan

If I'm not mistaken, van's have a full frame...like trucks, so there's no K-member to unbolt & lower.

I was in a shop once when they were removing an engine from a Dodge van. They removed everything from the front of the van, had the front tires on ramps, so the arm on the hoist was going in low & as level as possible (not angled down).
That's where it was at when I saw it. Later, I asked them how long it took them to get it out after I left & they said about 20 minutes. They said the hardest part was keeping it away from the dash while they slid it out the front.

Congrats on scoring your engine! I hope things go well for you, I'd come lend a hand if I could too. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Steve P.

Hahaha,,,,,,,,   CF, I think they were breaking your chops a bit. 20 minutes would be quick with a torch and not caring about the parts you were taking out.  :icon_smile_big:

Mojo, I have never taken one out through the door, but I am sure you can. Just keep in mind that the less there is hanging off the motor the less there will be to hang you up getting the motor out. Good luck bud. Save the beer for the after party...

PS. Cardboard from appliances is great for laying down inside the van both for it's protection and for you to slide in and out on..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

89MOPAR

Do you have any proof that the motor was built by don blairs speed shop other than the sellers say-so ?
Have you heard it run ?

Just saying buyer beware.

I've had a guy tell me he had a 383 in a Cuda that had $10,000 into the motor. Upon seeing the car in person [ which was beat to $hit] i asked for any proof that $$ was put into the motor - of course, the engine " was built by the previous owner" with no receipts.  Needless to say it ran like Crap.  So I drove away and didn't look back.

My buddy pulled a factory 440 out of a van, but it was his van so he cut the front end off as some have suggested.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Ponch ®

Quote from: 89MOPAR on March 12, 2006, 11:43:15 AM
Do you have any proof that the motor was built by don blairs speed shop other than the sellers say-so ?
Have you heard it run ?

Just saying buyer beware.

Yeah, he has paperwork (receipts) from the shop and the numbers match. Also heard it run too.

RallyeMike

The pic your buddy sent is a small block.

Hopefully the van is being junked so you don't have to be careful. If so, I cast my vote for Through the floor and out the door !
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 12, 2006, 10:14:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, van's have a full frame...like trucks, so there's no K-member to unbolt & lower.

I was in a shop once when they were removing an engine from a Dodge van. They removed everything from the front of the van, had the front tires on ramps, so the arm on the hoist was going in low & as level as possible (not angled down).
That's where it was at when I saw it. Later, I asked them how long it took them to get it out after I left & they said about 20 minutes. They said the hardest part was keeping it away from the dash while they slid it out the front.

Yea, you are correct, a van is going to have a frame. I've been in Charger mode for so long I can't remember anything else. IIRC some of those radiator core supports on the vans can be removed so you can more easily get to all that stuff. If the guy is going to part the van out anyway you could probably just unbolt all the body parts from the front and and leave them off. That would make life easier.