News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Master a Cylinder Bore - What's the Difference?

Started by Skull-1, February 18, 2014, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skull-1

I am working my way through this disc swap on DoctorDiff's site and  I am stuck on which Master Cylinder bore to use. 

1 1/32" bore iron master cylinder for solid pedal feel (+$75.00)
15/16" bore iron master cylinder for maximum line pressure (+$75.00)

I am not a fan of a super stiff pedal but it can't be worse than the one I have now.   Any thoughts?   Can anyone translate this for me into real world terms?
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Ghoste

It's difficult to say because only you can say what is too hard for pedal pressure to you.  For me, I would want the 1 5/16 one.

Skull-1

Quote from: Ghoste on February 19, 2014, 08:27:58 AM
It's difficult to say because only you can say what is too hard for pedal pressure to you.  For me, I would want the 1 5/16 one.

What is the practical effect of both?   With the 15/16" bore am I gonna breathe too hard and lock up the brakes?  

Or if I go with the other am I gonna feel like I have no booster and have to use both feet?

I exaggerate of course...but....

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Ghoste

Honestly I don't know that you'd feel a great deal of difference in pedal pressure between the two, some but I don't know if it would be huge.  For me, I like the bigger one to increase the clamping force on the calipers when needed.

Skull-1

Quote from: Ghoste on February 19, 2014, 02:53:31 PM
Honestly I don't know that you'd feel a great deal of difference in pedal pressure between the two, some but I don't know if it would be huge.  For me, I like the bigger one to increase the clamping force on the calipers when needed.

Not to not pick but he is saying the smaller one boosts pressure.  I guess Bernoulli strikes again.  Is pressure the driving factor for clamping force?   I know I sound stupid but really I just want to insure I haven't missed something. 

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom

Pete in NH

Hi,

You have to displace a certain volume of fluid from the master cylinder to actuate the wheel cylinders or calipers. The 1-1/32" master cylinder is going to move the required volume of fluid faster with less pedal travel. This will give you a harder pedal with less travel, kind of like stepping on a rock. The 15/16" master cylinder will require more travel to displace the required volume of fluid and have longer pedal travel and softer feel.

Ghoste

You know I was even paying close attention to the numbers there, I was talking about the 15/16 one being the one I would prefer but was reading it as 1-5/16.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Dino

I'm wondering the same with mine, I have a Raybestos with 1-1/8" bore and I hope it's not too hard.  I hope to have it close to a modern pedal feel.  I drive 4 different cars and it's nice to have some things be fairly the same. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

Comparing the two in a typical manual brake setup with a 6-1 pedal ratio, with 100 lbs. of pedal pressure the 15/16" MC would provide a line pressure of 869 psi; the 1 1/32" MC would provide a line pressure of 717 psi....about a 20% advantage to the smaller MC.

All else being equal, line pressure is the driving force in clamping pressure.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Skull-1

Quote from: Dino on February 20, 2014, 12:19:05 PM
I'm wondering the same with mine, I have a Raybestos with 1-1/8" bore and I hope it's not too hard.  I hope to have it close to a modern pedal feel.  I drive 4 different cars and it's nice to have some things be fairly the same. 

I have the same goal.

1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom