News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

frame measurement help

Started by Dreamcar, February 17, 2014, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

First, I borrowed this pic from someone online and I hope they don't mind if I use it as a referrence...let me know if this is a problem.

Points A and B in the picture are usually where I put by jack stands. Does anyone know what the height difference between these two points should be? I want to adjust the jack stand set up so that the car is sitting in what should be its level position before I begin any structural work.

I could measure on my car, but my car in its current state is not the best referrence, and if I need to have anything straigtened, better now then later.

Any help is appreciated.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Mike DC

There's a page in the FSM that shows a B-body's undercarriage sketched out with some alignment numbers.  Nothing on the scale of what modern cars have but it's something to work with. 

It's been posted on this site before but I can't recall the source.  I might have even posted it before but I cannot recall now.  Somebody should be able to find it.

green69rt

I think the FSM shows the various heights from the ground to the points on the car with the car setting on the stock tires with the suspension at the specified height and fully loaded.   When I leveled my car I just used the door sills as the level reference point.  Level from front to back on each side and then level right to left at the very front and back of the sills.   Then as an extra check I checked the level across the trunk lip and across the radiator support (bottom.)  When I did that then all the frame came in within about 1/4" or less at as many points as I could find.  I didn't find the FSM very useful as far as heights go but length measurements were important and seem to be usable.

Edit:  just read your note again.  SO you're worried about the car being twisted or out of square as it sits.   It might be worthwhile to take it to a frame shop and have them check it and straighten it before starting work.  Otherwise you could just do the checks I did and see if anything looks strange :Twocents:

Dreamcar

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the car is twisted, but I will be doing those checks like mentioned. I just want to set the car down on something that should give me a sign if anything is really off. If I can get the jack stands to the height they should be, and if one corner of the car is still off the stand, that'll be a first sign. If the car sits well on the leveled stands, I'll double check with a level on all those points mentioned.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

green69rt

So, maybe you just get the car level as I described then work for there.  Come on guys, any advice!!

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

mopar4don

Quote from: Dreamcar on February 17, 2014, 12:30:31 PM
First, I borrowed this pic from someone online and I hope they don't mind if I use it as a referrence...let me know if this is a problem.

Points A and B in the picture are usually where I put by jack stands. Does anyone know what the height difference between these two points should be? I want to adjust the jack stand set up so that the car is sitting in what should be its level position before I begin any structural work.

I could measure on my car, but my car in its current state is not the best referrence, and if I need to have anything straigtened, better now then later.

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the frame sheet I used
The heights from A to B in your picture are the same as I understand it.
Thats how I set mine, and the other heights (front and back came right in)

mopar4don

Quote from: mopar4don on February 18, 2014, 02:18:50 PM
Quote from: Dreamcar on February 17, 2014, 12:30:31 PM

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the frame sheet I used
The heights from A to B in your picture are the same as I understand it.
Thats how I set mine, and the other heights (front and back came right in) Hope this helps!

Dreamcar

Dreamcar

I need to ask another but similar question to those who have a straight car...

What this the height different between point A to the bottom of the rocker panel vs. point B to the bottom of the rocker panel? Are they also the same?

mopar4don

Quote from: Dreamcar on February 18, 2014, 02:41:08 PM
I need to ask another but similar question to those who have a straight car...

What this the height different between point A to the bottom of the rocker panel vs. point B to the bottom of the rocker panel? Are they also the same?

If you have points A and B flat and level, I would think they should be even or level also, but I would be more concerned that the top of the rocker (door sill) was flat and level. Just like green69rt stated.
Here is a like to a resto.. maybe some of what he did will help you   http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?8368-Family-Tradition/page2

Dreamcar

Thanks. I took some rudimentary measurements and my rails to rockers measurements appear dead on my car, so once I get everything levelled, I should have a good starting point. Thanks again.