News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cooling fan question

Started by WINGMAN, February 24, 2014, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGMAN

I have a non OEM flex fan on my 440 Daytona, new three core radiator, 180 thermostat. Do not want to install a helper fan. Like most wingcars they run hot at slower speeds. What fan setup are you wingcar owners using. :shruggy: The Daytona is just driven to shows and not raced. Thanks all.  (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

A383Wing

running a non-thermal clutch (no spring) with 6 blade fan (on the right)....draws more air in at idle than a thermal style clutch, then basically free-wheels at higher RPM

Daytona Guy

I will give you my 2 cents :)

Sometimes it all depends how the 440 is built. I had a 440 that I had a hard time cooling. Heads being ported, bored over, gas mixture, fan shroud, gas used, carb, water pump, etcetera.

1. Do not use the turbine (far right) impeller water pump. They are crap. They do not move water well at low idle.  The inexpensive aluminum 6 blade or the 8 (for air cars) blades work the best.

2. Fan shrouds are one of the most important things.

3. Use the high flow thermostat.

4. Get rid of the clutch and get an adapter lock up $15.00. The clutches slip ever so slightly. You need to move air at low idle.

5. The only air that will go through your radiator is what the fan will pull through – no more no less (unless at top speeds the air flow exceeds the CFM of the fan). Putting push fans in front will only restrict air flow – unless they push more than your main fan – if that is so – you have no need for your main fan. The sq. in. opening of your shroud, and the sq. in. of your nose cone opening that lets air in needs to be equal or greater – and it is -  Plugging wholes will do little to help you unless it is around your shroud between the radiator so it only pulls air through the front of the radiator.

6. How old is your radiator? I bought a stock three core – OEM for $359.00. They work great. Aluminum or copper are both good, but copper is a better conductor and will transfer heat better than aluminum. The cross flow radiators (copper or aluminum) seem to work well – but expensive.

7. Use the 7 blade stock clutch rigid fan with the lockup adapter. Dodge did their homework. What I have been told is one blade, on the 7 blade stock fan, moves 1 foot of air per revolution. At idle you have 12 rotations a second (rounded off). That is 5000 CFM at idle. Those 7 blade fans (they don't flex) freaking move a huge volume of air. You can tell at idle that those fans move 3 times the air than the best electric fan I could buy could do. Read the CFM. The bottom line is CFM (electrical or manual) – You want at least 5000 CFM at low idle. Plus the electric fans are rated at free flowing air. Once that fan is attached the CFM's drop because of the radiator, while the stock fan has an installed rating. I'm not saying electric don't work, just not as good.

If my math is wrong - please correct me :)

I also pooh poohed the idea of additives that increase to conductivity of water that is mixed with coolant. I think I have to eat my words. I have tried it - and they do seem to work. (I ate crow on that one :)   

Dane

62 Max

Quote from: Daytona Guy on February 24, 2014, 09:13:30 PM
I will give you my 2 cents :)

Sometimes it all depends how the 440 is built. I had a 440 that I had a hard time cooling. Heads being ported, bored over, gas mixture, fan shroud, gas used, carb, water pump, etcetera.

1. Do not use the turbine (far right) impeller water pump. They are crap. They do not move water well at low idle.  The inexpensive aluminum 6 blade or the 8 (for air cars) blades work the best.

2. Fan shrouds are one of the most important things.

3. Use the high flow thermostat.

4. Get rid of the clutch and get an adapter lock up $15.00. The clutches slip ever so slightly. You need to move air at low idle.

5. The only air that will go through your radiator is what the fan will pull through – no more no less (unless at top speeds the air flow exceeds the CFM of the fan). Putting push fans in front will only restrict air flow – unless they push more than your main fan – if that is so – you have no need for your main fan. The sq. in. opening of your shroud, and the sq. in. of your nose cone opening that lets air in needs to be equal or greater – and it is -  Plugging wholes will do little to help you unless it is around your shroud between the radiator so it only pulls air through the front of the radiator.

6. How old is your radiator? I bought a stock three core – OEM for $359.00. They work great. Aluminum or copper are both good, but copper is a better conductor and will transfer heat better than aluminum. The cross flow radiators (copper or aluminum) seem to work well – but expensive.

7. Use the 7 blade stock clutch rigid fan with the lockup adapter. Dodge did their homework. What I have been told is one blade, on the 7 blade stock fan, moves 1 foot of air per revolution. At idle you have 12 rotations a second (rounded off). That is 5000 CFM at idle. Those 7 blade fans (they don't flex) freaking move a huge volume of air. You can tell at idle that those fans move 3 times the air than the best electric fan I could buy could do. Read the CFM. The bottom line is CFM (electrical or manual) – You want at least 5000 CFM at low idle. Plus the electric fans are rated at free flowing air. Once that fan is attached the CFM's drop because of the radiator, while the stock fan has an installed rating. I'm not saying electric don't work, just not as good.

If my math is wrong - please correct me :)

I also pooh poohed the idea of additives that increase to conductivity of water that is mixed with coolant. I think I have to eat my words. I have tried it - and they do seem to work. (I ate crow on that one :)   

Dane

I think you will find the A/C pump is 6 blade !

hemi68charger

I had major heating problems in my Daytona when I first got it.. It has a clutch fan. I did as the Superbirds did, went to a straight fan. I found a good direct drive fan, removed as much anti-freeze as possible from the radiator and then filled it with nothing more than distilled water and a bottle of "Water Wetter"......... I haven't had a over heating problem since. I have installed a pusher fan "just in case" but haven't had to use it once......

Good luck...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection