News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CL 440…..$5000?

Started by twodko, February 18, 2014, 03:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

gz2sg-4334827493%40sale.craigslist.org

I found this ad on the bay area NorCal, north bay section today. I don't know enough about these
engine numbers so I have no idea if this is an RV motor or not much less the year of manufacture.

Is his price realistic?

Not sure is this link will get you to his ad but its listed under "auto parts for sale by owner".
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

plasticman-32

i cant find that number in my casting book on 440
why is his finger covring the last number

tan top

this one

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/4334827493.html

its not a motor home block !!  its stamped HP ,  not sure what the water pump housing is from though  :scratchchin:

2536430  is a casting 66 to 72   the -7 at the end is the 7th casting mould revision or something along them lines :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

The70RT

5K is way out of line. If it was a wing car motor with proof it would be worth that to the owner but still.  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: The70RT on February 18, 2014, 04:31:31 PM
5K is way out of line. If it was a wing car motor with proof it would be worth that to the owner but still.  ::)

Way out of as in way way way outof line u can build a 440 cheaper than that.  Unless its a special 9ne he did say stroke and bored it to 500 range etc..maybe I could understand but no promises on it even running.

472 R/T SE

Complete VINs are stamped on '69 motors.  Anyone ask the seller what # it is?  It could very well be someone's motor if Ghoste has a match?

bakerhillpins

69 440 block.  Water pump housing looks fine to me. The 2nd port is plugged or just hard to see in the pic??

I don't know about rare but certainly nice to have if you have a 69 car that doesn't have a numbers engine. 5k seems high to me too. Frankly, if you didn't pay to have the engine built yourself or are not personally familiar with the build you're taking a chance plain and simple. Could be good, could be crap. On craigslist it's not like buying from a builder were you get a warranty. Akin to driving it off the lot. You loose, its a used engine now. :Twocents:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

plasticman-32

$500.00 and he loads it lol

Cooter

Hmmmm...
so if owner has receipts from machine shop, he may very well have $3500-4k in a rebuilt engine.
how many have Asked?
I certainly wouldn't want to be absurd and call this engine overpriced until I at least asked owner for receipts, and if he would allow a teardown for inspection.

I'm in the process of building a small block Chevy at F&P Performance,  and once done, will have over $4k in it.
granted, it has aluminum heads, but why sink huge money in an iron set if a couple hundred more gets aluminum?
Short block is your basic 355 Chevy... machine shop labor has tripled since high school for me. What used to be $80.00 to bore an engine, is now $180.00.....
What used to be $30.00 for BOTH sides of deck surface, is now $30.00 each side. Balancing used to be $90.00....
It's now $250.00.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mopar4me

The letter E before the 440 tells you it!s from a 69. But for 5k it's overpriced for a little more you can get a Mopar crate motor with a new block and it would come with an intake manifold.

myk

Quote from: Mopar4me on February 18, 2014, 08:00:32 PM
The letter E before the 440 tells you it!s from a 69. But for 5k it's overpriced for a little more you can get a Mopar crate motor with a new block and it would come with an intake manifold.

You talking about the one they sell at Summit?  I wonder if crate motors are any more reliable these days; not too long ago there were nothing but horror stories about them...

twodko

I emailed the seller with a few questions, here is his response:

"tom, Bacas machine shop in south San Fran did all the machining/ heads, and put in crank pistons and balance,,,  Bill Pappas in San Bruno finished the build,heads,oil pan,pick up, NEW oil pump,& drive new, not a rebuild,,,,,,,,HIPO HEADS,CORECT & INTAKE MANIFOLD
stock 4b intake, has no water pump,,,they put in a six pac purple cam stock hyd lifters & push rods,,10.25 TO 1, I NEED TO GET THE CAM SPECS  HP 435,,
if interested , all call and get more info on cam specs,, its 60 over 20/20 steel crank.. i don't know if the block was magna fluxed,,,all find out,,, i think by calling them you will not have to take engine apart...
,, If your looking for a full race motor this is prob not for you,,  Great for restoring your classic THE BUILD WAS DONE IN 8/12/2014 NEVER INSTALLED,,ON ENGINE DOLLY.. RARE BLOCK'' COMES WITH WARRANTY 4,000 OR 4 MONTHS,,,,,.CAN SEND YOU MORE PICS IF NEEDED... THANKS DAVE  SANTA ROSA CA,,"

The build date is a typo.

Patronus

You could 5.7 your car for $5K.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cooter

Quote from: Mopar4me on February 18, 2014, 08:00:32 PM

Brand new blocks are expensive. Like $3k expensive. I'd like to know what you refer to as 'a little more'.
Most times, those type crate engines are rebuilds with a core charge.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

I just spoke with the guy and he'll take $4k. If only I had the money and a Dart roller like Drache's  to build a GTS clone.  :shruggy:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: twodko on February 19, 2014, 12:34:06 PM
I just spoke with the guy and he'll take $4k. If only I had the money and a Dart roller like Drache's  to build a GTS clone.  :shruggy:

Did you get the VIN ?

If it wasn't 2000+ miles away I would have already bought it. :Twocents:

twodko

RallyeMike

:Twocents: $4k for a resell is a little high. Its also a 60 overbore, so on its last run unless you want to sleeve it on the next rebuild/repair. Was it sonic checked before a 60 bore? Most of them can take it, but are they sure? I think I would pass on this one just for that reason, even if it were a good deal.

The water pump housing is not correct for a 69 HP - it's probabaly from a 400 engine.

I just bought a 69 HP 440 rebuilt (stock) with a Charger RT Vin with limited miles on it for $2500 and considered it a fair deal. I factored in that it had already been broken in and was a proven good build with a few miles on it. Buying a used or rebuilt engine NOT from the builder has some risk in it.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

twodko

Hey Mike,

That's a very fair price for that motor and that's the kind of mill I'd want. I asked the guy if he had the block magna fluxed.....he said he didn't know but would ask the shop. Any shop doing a rebuild like that is going to magna flux the block.

Anyway, this is the PRK down here and prices for everything are stooped.

1974dodgecharger

Put it on the Dino before u install in car....

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 19, 2014, 06:15:58 PM
Put it on the Dino before u install in car....

Not breakin yer balls here, but for the life of me, I couldn't understand why you wanted to put that engine on top of 'Dino' for... :D

"Dyno"....

Ghoste

Thats what I thought for the first couple of seconds too.  :lol:

RallyeMike

QuoteHey Mike,

That's a very fair price for that motor and that's the kind of mill I'd want. I asked the guy if he had the block magna fluxed.....he said he didn't know but would ask the shop. Any shop doing a rebuild like that is going to magna flux the block.

Anyway, this is the PRK down here and prices for everything are stooped.

I've had good luck buying engines from abandoned projects. You can get a good deal if you are patient for them to come around and ask the right questions of the right buyer. Another one will come along...
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

twodko

myk

Eh, no way.  If you really care about your car you should know every detail about it, including how the engine was built and what went inside of it.  I don't know about you guys, but the idea of a "mystery machine" sitting between my fenders isn't something I'd be comfortable with...