News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Dukes Movie??

Started by jaak, February 18, 2014, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman69

Guy i know said he seen a load like that but in texas

GL#10

Heading south east to film .

ws23rt

Never been much of a DOH fan but it is clear that the show has had a big influence on the current popularity of the charger.

If one were to speculate where these cars would be without the show I suspect they would be much further back in history. That many fans only remember the show as their inspiration and know little about what we talk about tells a tale.

Our hobby (second gen chargers) has much more diversity than the average. The body style has brought the car through several generations of fans and I see it as lasting. :2thumbs:

We can keep the cars going just like they do in Cuba. :cheers:

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2014, 11:04:05 AM
Makes me wonder what they're advertising and why they need new Chargers for cop cars and four GL's?

That's what I'm wondering...4 GL's and 4 Sheriff cars, for a 20 second ad? I could understand 2 of each, one for 1st Unit, and one for 2nd Unit.  :scratchchin:

Jason

Mike DC

4 cars doesn't surprise me.  They use a lot of cars in productions these days.  It's not like Bullitt where they do a whole epic 10-minute chase shoot with 2 cars.  

The 2005 movie bought 20+ cars and only killed about 5-8 of them.  

JB400

How many of those 20+ movie cars have since been rebuilt?  Just from what I've seen, quite a few.  I think even that one with the front and rear of it cut off was even rebuilt.

Mike DC

The Louisiana crew originally amassed about 27 Charger VINs, ranging from $500 rusty shells to complete nice cars.  3 cars were sent from WB itself from earlier "Dukes" work in the TV series and 1990s reunions, one already totaled from a jump in the last reunion show.  (Corndog knows a thing or two about that car.) 

They definitely erred on buying more than they needed.  The producers had wanted to do sequels if the movie had been a bigger hit.  There were some conversations about stocking up on a few extra GLs in case the first movie drove the price of Chargers through the roof.  (In fact when they did the 2007 TV-movie they didn't need to buy any additional Chargers for it.)

They ended up with maybe a dozen complete intact cars. The rest were either rolling shells for cable-launching up ramps, or stuff hacked up in various ways for camera work.  One hulk was a parts-car.  Another one was an original RT/SE which they decided not to touch at all.  

I haven't followed the fates of the movie cars in the last half-dozen years but the trend has been to fix them up more than with the TV-series survivors.  The Warner Bros GL pedigree makes people pretty willing to fix raggedy stuff.  The fact that the movie was so recent kinda reduces the value of the "screen original" paintjobs & conditions compared to the TV-series cars that survived.  

Several of the cars survived the 2005 movie intact but took severe punishment in the 2007 TV-movie that nobody liked.  The trend has been to undo the damage from the latter show as if it never happened.

tan top

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2014, 12:34:00 AM
The Louisiana crew originally amassed about 27 Charger VINs, ranging from $500 rusty shells to complete nice cars.  3 cars were sent from WB itself from earlier "Dukes" work in the TV series and 1990s reunions, one already totaled from a jump in the last reunion show.  (Corndog knows a thing or two about that car.) 

They definitely erred on buying more than they needed.  The producers had wanted to do sequels if the movie had been a bigger hit.  There were some conversations about stocking up on a few extra GLs in case the first movie drove the price of Chargers through the roof.  (In fact when they did the 2007 TV-movie they didn't need to buy any additional Chargers for it.)

They ended up with maybe a dozen complete intact cars. The rest were either rolling shells for cable-launching up ramps, or stuff hacked up in various ways for camera work.  One hulk was a parts-car.  Another one was an original RT/SE which they decided not to touch at all.  

I haven't followed the fates of the movie cars in the last half-dozen years but the trend has been to fix them up more than with the TV-series survivors.  The Warner Bros GL pedigree makes people pretty willing to fix raggedy stuff.  The fact that the movie was so recent kinda reduces the value of the "screen original" paintjobs & conditions compared to the TV-series cars that survived.  

Several of the cars survived the 2005 movie intact but took severe punishment in the 2007 TV-movie that nobody liked.  The trend has been to undo the damage from the latter show as if it never happened.

:coolgleamA: thanks for sharing  the info !! interesting stuff  :cheers:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

Quote from: bill440rt on February 18, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
Here's another absurd scenario from the opposite end of the spectrum.  :scratchchin:
A seller sells a pile-o-turd Charger to a buyer. That new owner fixes it up to the Charger he's always dreamed of. He even paints it orange.
Should the seller take credit?  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
And what would Rosco say? Coo-coo-coo...   :icon_smile_wink:

As absurd as it may seem, I have seen this scenario happen actually.
a buddy sold a GL to a buddy. He fixes it up as the right rear quarter was tore up bad. After it was repaired, seller tells EVERYBODY who will listen, that it's his old GL, when it never looked that nice when HE owned it.

Another along those lines would be like when another buddy sold his car. It was never really the new owners car, as it will always be "James' old car". Of course, there has actually been times when other people at shows have in order to get their point across that they can do bodywork/paint, have taken credit for others work.

Then, there's the what refer to as the 'did you a favor and will collect on it forever' people.
these types sell you a car you have been after for a while at a deal. They NEVER let you forget it everytime they want something.

So you see, just because one doesn't see the forest for the trees, or even agree the trees are there, i won't call em 'absurd'....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Do they still use actual drivers in the jump cars or do they now use an air canon for these things?  I remember the General flying over my screen as a kid and I now wonder how well these guys faired.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

They came up with a sling of sorts suspended from the cage to control lower back problems.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2014, 07:22:37 AM
They came up with a sling of sorts suspended from the cage to control lower back problems.

Now that's interesting.  Thanks Cooter!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Cooter on February 18, 2014, 07:41:29 PM

Of course, actual production numbers may vary, but, wasn't there like 275k built between 1968-70?
my math's a little rusty but, can somebody compute that? I'm thinking like .0003 percent or something?
Would it be absurd of me to think more were destroyed by drunk drivers, punk kids, hoarders, crusher, and rust?

:iagree:

300 from 275K is .00109, or .109%. However, from what I heard, most GLs where 68-69s, with little 70s, but I could be wrong. REGARDLESS, IMO, the DoH is very likely responsible for saving more 2nd gen Chargers than the number of cars that would have made it to 2014 without the show. Are a lot of survivor cars done up as GL replicas...yes...but this is what saved many of them. Like others have said, our ability to get quality after market parts may have something to do with the popularity of the show and the GL.

:Twocents:

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

wingcar

Get ready for another spike in the price of second generation  Chargers... :Twocents:

(Never thought of how the DoH may have actually saved more second generation Chargers than they destroyed by getting the younger generation interested in the car...but still hard to watch knowing that a large number didn't survive....)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

What is the ad for that John and Tom and these GL's are doing?

mopar0166

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2014, 06:22:02 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 18, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
Here's another absurd scenario from the opposite end of the spectrum.  :scratchchin:
A seller sells a pile-o-turd Charger to a buyer. That new owner fixes it up to the Charger he's always dreamed of. He even paints it orange.
Should the seller take credit?  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:
And what would Rosco say? Coo-coo-coo...   :icon_smile_wink:

As absurd as it may seem, I have seen this scenario happen actually.
a buddy sold a GL to a buddy. He fixes it up as the right rear quarter was tore up bad. After it was repaired, seller tells EVERYBODY who will listen, that it's his old GL, when it never looked that nice when HE owned it.

Another along those lines would be like when another buddy sold his car. It was never really the new owners car, as it will always be "James' old car". Of course, there has actually been times when other people at shows have in order to get their point across that they can do bodywork/paint, have taken credit for others work.

Then, there's the what refer to as the 'did you a favor and will collect on it forever' people.
these types sell you a car you have been after for a while at a deal. They NEVER let you forget it everytime they want something.

So you see, just because one doesn't see the forest for the trees, or even agree the trees are there, i won't call em 'absurd'....

Cooter, you do realize though that in each example the credit given is based on a presumptuous lie on the seller's part?
Not saying you are wrong, but while it may not be totally absurd their thought process is quite silly.  :lol:

Look at it this way. I give the seller credit for selling to you your Charger. Otherwise, it would probably still be sitting there rotting into the earth. However, the honor is only yours for fixing it up & giving it a new life. No one else takes credit for that.  :cheers:
Just like you would not be responsible for whatever the new owner does to your GL. Who knows, maybe he'll put 22" wheels on it.  :scared:  :lol:

Anyone know what the supposed commercial is for or when it hits TV?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: bill440rt on February 19, 2014, 01:34:21 PM

Anyone know what the supposed commercial is for or when it hits TV?  :shruggy:

lucky charms cereal?  :shruggy:

bill440rt

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 19, 2014, 01:40:54 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 19, 2014, 01:34:21 PM

Anyone know what the supposed commercial is for or when it hits TV?  :shruggy:

lucky charms cereal?  :shruggy:

They're magically delicious!  :rofl:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dreamcar

The CGLFC site mentions something about an insurance company commercial...I can see that working.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Brock Samson

69charger2002

$3 mil budget for that flick? Should be worse than Deathproof lol
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

GL#10

Auto trader , that's what it's for .

Dreamcar

The plot is also a departure from the original...The DoH and now Bullet should have been left alone. Very few actors can fill Steve McQueen's shoes.

Mike DC

QuoteThey came up with a sling of sorts suspended from the cage to control lower back problems.

Now that's interesting.  Thanks Cooter!

Cooter is right.  They invented a corset/vest thing which was strapped to the ceiling of the car. When combined with the regular 5pt harness it helped to hold their back vertebrae stretched out.  It doesn't make those jumps painless but it helps.  

In the TV show pretty much everything was live-driven.  The turnovers were always pipe ramped rather than cannon rolled.

These days cable-launching (unmanned) cars is becoming more common.  For the really big jumps (150+ feet) it's a practicality issue as much as anything.  Live driven cars need to be safer vehicles, they can't do several takes, they need more straight run space before & after the jumps, etc.  But IMO the live-driven jumps do look better.