News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intalling 68 Front Bumper- Valance Removal...wtf?

Started by fozz71, February 16, 2014, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fozz71

I got a new nice bumper for my '68 but my lower front valence panel is stumping me- I can feel two hidden rusty bolts inside on the sides of the valence...how in the heck do guys get those out of there? No clearance in there and they are frozen- probably haven't been off since '68.

Can anyone share their secrets on valence removal?

Thanks,
Jim

green69rt

Quote from: fozz71 on February 16, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
I got a new nice bumper for my '68 but my lower front valence panel is stumping me- I can feel two hidden rusty bolts inside on the sides of the valence...how in the heck do guys get those out of there? No clearance in there and they are frozen- probably haven't been off since '68.

Can anyone share their secrets on valence removal?

Thanks,
Jim
I think there should be three bolts holding the valance to the fender on each side.   Also a line of bolts (I think six) where it bolts to the lower radiator support.  Here's a pic of my 69 showing the bolts(I assume a 68 is the same.)

fozz71

Yepper- those are the hidden little stinkers- I am in the process of swapping out a bumper- how in the heck does a fellow get access to those? I assume the valance comes off first and then the front bumper.

Thanks
Jim

fy469rtse

You have got me there, thinking thinking, I know you can't get the grill in with bumper on ,
But can't you  just slide irons in , just without the cross brace attached, the one that goes across to both side bumper irons, you have to have this off because of the mid valance brace
Get someone to assist , ? Why couldn't you put bumper on with valance install and then feed cross brace in and bolt it up then , I'm sure some of the guys will chime in , because how did the factory do it when the body was painted whole , was the valance on the front then bumpers after grill installed.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

jaak

Going on memory here, but if you removed the parking lamp, you should be able to reach through there and remove the bolts with proper extension.
You might have to use a wench on the one in the front corner.

Jason

fozz71

Thanks Jason, I may be able to do that- it will be wrenching blind and my bolts are frozen- so maybe a small pneumatic tool and I may have to break them off.

Thanks,
Jim

green69rt

Quote from: fozz71 on February 17, 2014, 09:03:59 AM
Thanks Jason, I may be able to do that- it will be wrenching blind and my bolts are frozen- so maybe a small pneumatic tool and I may have to break them off.

Thanks,
Jim

Careful on using a pneumatic on those valance bolts,  if they are really frozen tight you'll end up twisting the tabs they are mounted to and possible ruin your valance and maybe even the fender!!   Easy does it!!   Maybe find a way to cut thru the bolts with a thin hacksaw :shruggy:

fozz71

Voila! It worked- I removed the splash shields, soaked the bolts in CRC spray and they backed out well! Thanks for all the help! Now time for a new valance- my car had an accident at some point and mashed up the bottom corners pretty well. Had to cut every bumper bolt off- they were rusted solid and had never been off the car. New bolts, bumper and valance now- gonna be sweet.

Thanks again!
Jim