News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

floor pan replacement questions

Started by NMike, February 16, 2014, 05:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMike

i am replacing the whole floor, one piece. new t-bar cross member, and the floor support brackets.

now should i just plasma out the floor leaving a couple inches all around, then cut the spot welds? to me this seems to be the easier way. car is on the ground, not a rotisserie.

spoolinhard

I just finished doing the same thing. Floors don't get much worse than mine (in a car thats restorable at least. Here is my build thread. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106349.0.html
Make sure that you have the car up off the ground, make sure that it is level. Cut the bad metal out in as big of sections as convenient, leave extra metal to any surface you need to attach to and clean off the excess as needed.

green69rt

Quote from: NMike on February 16, 2014, 05:37:25 PM
i am replacing the whole floor, one piece. new t-bar cross member, and the floor support brackets.

now should i just plasma out the floor leaving a couple inches all around, then cut the spot welds? to me this seems to be the easier way. car is on the ground, not a rotisserie.

Take a close look at the floor support brackets, they are not all the same.   They are mirror image left-to-right but not front-to-back.

Troy

I like to take it out as complete as possible - only because it's easier to locate any missing holes or brackets on the new piece. I will, however, chop the rusted through areas out so I have access to reach through. I use a spot weld cutter whenever I can but I hate going too deep so I wedge a chisel or screwdriver between the two pieces of metal to make it "pop" as I'm drilling. That's easier to do when you can see/reach it.

Some day I'll post pictures of the metal removed from my cars. Most of it is in big sections but that's next to a giant pile of small bits and pieces that were hacked out. Sometimes you just can't disassemble a section of a car the way the factory put it together.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: NMike on February 16, 2014, 05:37:25 PM

Not looking forward to replacing that on mine.... :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic