News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

butyl tape for rear glass

Started by Lord Warlock, December 09, 2012, 04:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

When installing the rear glass, is the butyl tape supposed to be flat or round?  I got a roll of tape at discount auto and it was round, and makes the glass sit too high on the channel.   It also only had one rubber spacer so was thinking i may have to get a different butyl tape kit.  The old sealant was very thin, where this tape is fairly thick.  I wasn't that happy with how it fit on the flange and with the glass in place the trim doesn't seem to be fitting properly even with new clips.  Figured i'd ask those who know rather than guessing.

thanks. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Patronus

I experienced the same with my install. There should have been two blocks which set the height up from the lower pinch weld. I would imagine heat would set the glass down into the tape. I decided to have another install it with a glass dam and butyl sealant instead.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cooter

All sit high when cold. Let sit out in the hot summer sun for a while and it'll "Crush" back down to normal.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

:yesnod:  yeah thats true  , cold weather wont crush as well as if it was in a warmer temperature ,

for a  second generation charger ,   butyl tape ,needs to be 5/16" for the stainless trim to engage the clips properly
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

Quote from: tan top on December 10, 2012, 12:50:47 PM
:yesnod:  yeah thats true  , cold weather wont crush as well as if it was in a warmer temperature ,

for a  second generation charger ,   butyl tape ,needs to be 5/16" for the stainless trim to engage the clips properly
"Pivco" has the 5/16 with the pair of spacers from 3M.  :2thumbs:

Lord Warlock

the butyl tape i used previously did not seal the rear window in, and never settled like i'd hoped over the summer.  Yesterday i pulled the glass back upwards and it wasn't even sealed on most of the glass,  the round style tape was wrong to use, i need to find a flat style of tape instead.  So searching for sources of new butyl tape, 5/16 if possible. 

should the tape be flat like a ribbon or round? didn't like how round worked last time.  Old window had a flat type of sealant along the window ledge. Couldn't fit the trim on with the round style butyl tape bought at parts store, so looking for a flat style to use . 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: tan top on December 10, 2012, 12:50:47 PM

Yep, but we call it window ribbon here.  It is supposed to be round btw.

oldgold69

I used to put some pinchweld primer on the glass about a 1/4 inch in from the edge so the ribbon would stick   also the glass has to be free of junk so we used to wipe it with thinner

58pwrwgn

Did you push down on the glass to compress the butyl After the Install.The glass need to be clean and I would scuff the paint to remove the gloss. Do it on a warm day. Butyl won't settle. The force from wind will compress butyl when used on the windshield over time.

Lord Warlock

Yes i pushed down on the glass, the tape was sealed to the pinch weld very well, but not to the glass, the bottom edge was decent but not the top or sides.  parts of the tape got pushed down in places during placement of the glass.  The glass was scraped clean and wiped down prior to the install, i'm in the process of polishing the glass now for its next install.  Windshield guy comes on wednesday of next week, i'm hoping to have the butyl tape ready to go when he gets here.  found some 5/16 round tape but wanted to try 5/16 square tape as it looks like it would maintain shape better and provide a cleaner look under the glass. 

Lord Warlock

appreciate the input, wanted square butyl, but noone had any nearby so got a 5/16 round kit and used it, back glass is in and appears to be stuck to the butyl all the way around, may opt to squeeze in some urethane behind the butyl just to make sure its sealed.