News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Four speed conversion kits - Passon or Brewer?

Started by Ghoste, February 15, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Troy

Lots of cars are running overdrive transmissions yet I don't see an overabundance of threads complaining about vibrations. I see them more from Gear Vendors conversions mainly because it changes the driveline angle. I'd assume a T-5 would (could) be similar. Considering how my car is built, there's very little of it that will act like it did when it was new.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Just got my last issue of MM  mag rag, and they got their hands on one of these Pass on units.
I guess Pass on had to put the word out 4 years out to keep Kessler/American Pederson from doing their own version.
ok, bidness is bidness, but wonder when these will be out? A body was the first. I also remember thinking "damn thats alotta money for a Tremec that we broke it with a Fox body Mustang" when the problematic kits came out. Everybody jumped on em thinking they were gonna be awesome. Now look. Outta business because nobody wants a "hack job" conversion cause we have a bolt in deal now for same money....Wonder why the Tremec trans wasn't $5k? I think you can still get em for like $2300.00...

Thing is, I don't think it was the transmissions that vibrated cause I've run numerous versions in fox body's with no vibrations.
wonder what caused that trans to vibrate when installed in a different car? Things that make me go hmmmm.
wonder if those same Gremlins will plague this $5500.00 bolt in 5 speed......

I wonder why G.V. doesn't make a unit that will go behind a  4 speed long as we's dreamin.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Do you read? Just wondering. The Passon 5-speeds have been shipping for a few months. Trouble is, they have a small shop and a HUGE backlog. Additionally, they are NOT Tremec transmissions. Tremec cranks out millions of them so their "price per unit" will certainly be lower than a "boutique", custom built piece. The Passon trans is built to handle much more power AND be a direct "bolt-in" to a Mopar. The market gets a lot smaller in that case. Basic economics says they can't sell their product for the same price as a mass produced product. Not to mention, it's not even close to an "apples to apples" comparison. Do you also wonder why you can't buy a Viper for the same price as a Neon? And it's not $5,500 or $5,000 either.

According to Keisler, Tremec refused to sell them transmissions. Hard to sell product if you can't actually get parts. There was plenty of competition from other vendors selling T-5 swap kits but I seriously doubt the Passon unit put any sort of dent in their sales.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on February 28, 2014, 02:01:47 PM
Do you read? Just wondering. The Passon 5-speeds have been shipping for a few months.

I'm still working with the hooked on phonics. I ain't quite got the hang of it yet, but preciate the update.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

I have zero vibration problems with my O.D. setup. This is with 3:91 gears. At 85mph on the freeway it is smooth as silk. We're talking a GM-based Keisler auto OD vs a 5-spd manual, though.
I think the vibration problem arises when retrofitting a kit in a car that may have a slight vibration problem to begin with. The OD just amplifies the problem because everything drivetrain related is spinning faster. A very slight vibration that is barely felt at 60mph now becomes a huge problem with the O.D.
The driveline angle as Troy mentioned is another factor.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

How do modern cars get around vibration issues, my friends car copied late model and incorporated CV joint to centre, this helped pinion angle problems ,

Cooter

Quote from: fy469rtse on March 01, 2014, 03:56:55 AM
How do modern cars get around vibration issues, my friends car copied late model and incorporated CV joint to centre, this helped pinion angle problems ,

Ever looked under one? There's little vibration dampers hanging off the front of diffs, rearends, etc.
some even have harmonic dampers on the front of driveshafts.