News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Four speed conversion kits - Passon or Brewer?

Started by Ghoste, February 15, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Anyone have useful opinions as to which is the better kit?

polywideblock

now they have started shipping the 855 5speed why go with 4 speed

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

Thats the transmission I would use but for the sake of conversion both companies list the kit as a four speed one.  Its just a name in this case and irrespective of the actual trans.

polywideblock

:cheers: write up in mopar muscle  gives glowing reports

Ghoste

Doesn't help me with who has the better conversion though.   ;)

polywideblock

c00nhunterjoe

I have used brewers many times. Excellent customer support. Very knowledged. Always answered the phone and was willing to talk.

metallicareload99

I am happy with Brewer's service, over the course of a few orders.  Went from 318/727 to 440 and a A-833.  Although I would like to get the Passon 5-Speed which is apparently finally shipping?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Ghoste

My understanding as well and I do want to use that trans so the idea of one stop shopping appeals to me but not if the conversion part of their business is lacking in any way.

Troy

To be clear...

Both offer 4-speed conversion kits. Both use stock parts. If going to an 18-spline 4-speed with factory correct parts you can basically expect identical components. Shop by price.

If you want a Passon 5-speed put yourself on the list and wait a year or so. The 5-speed uses a different shifter so if you purchase a 4-speed "kit" you're going to end up with extra parts in the end.

I live 45 minutes from Brewer's and they have always been helpful. Jamie Passon is a real good guy and I have bought stuff from him before as well. For me, it's cheaper to make a run up to Brewer's if I need something heavy because tax is less than than shipping. Passon's prices tend to be lower overall though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Thanks Troy, that I think is more the kind of answer I was looking for.  The swap would be a year out so I guess that part works out too.
BTW, do you know if the Passon five speed is 23 spline or 18?

Cooter

5speed. Stupid money just like the hack job kits with TKO trannies.
I'd stick with the 4 speed and run higher gears.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

red79

Passon 5 speed is 18 spline. It's rated for 700hp... I guess they saw no reason to make a weaker 23 spline version  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on February 16, 2014, 10:44:47 AM
Except that I don't want higher gears.
got enough motor, you don't need deep gears tgat require an OD that will have you smoking pinion hearings, vibrating horribly, and causing you to take out a second mortgage to afford. But, I'd go with Brewer's given a chance.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Thats okay, its my money to spend and my car.  75% of my driving is local with occasional trips to the dragstrip so I want deeper gears and thats pretty much all there is to it.  I've had them in most every car I've had and learned to live with them quite happily.  I just want the overdrive for the occasional time I do that 5 or 6 hour freeway drive.

Cooter

Quote from: red79 on February 16, 2014, 10:46:53 AM
Passon 5 speed is 18 spline. It's rated for 700hp... I guess they saw no reason to make a weaker 23 spline version  :scratchchin:

You got any idea how many 'weaker' (typical brand X remark until I sell them a 23 spline unit to replace their badass 'Rock crusher Muncie) trannies I've broken with bonzai runs???
One.

Only reason they offered it in the 18 spline unit is for the uninformed who think they just have To have the 18 spline unit cause it's gotta be somehow, better. When the whole time, Passon coulda used the 23 spline input and manufactured it with the helical cut of the 18 spline....now, you have to pay three prices for a HEMI' clutch in order to run it. STUPID. But, that's what sells today.

Troy

The 23 spline input shaft is considerably weaker than the 18. There was no point in tooling up for both when the bulk of the market would demand the 18 spline. Tooling costs money so build what people will buy. Business 101.

Besides, a large portion of the market for the 5-speed are guys who already have a 4-speed and want a "drop in" replacement (ie NOT a full "conversion") to avoid modifying anything on the car. Most have an 18 spline already.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1974dodgecharger

Like cooter saids most only want 18 spline cause it came with hemi and Troy saids they will tool only for 18 since its what consumers will want.

madmike

I have purchased many items from Brewer's, and I rebuilt an 'A' body four speed last month (my first one).  I had a few questions, and Wayne was very helpful and provided good advice.  Service, parts availability, and quick shipping have always been top notch.

I have not bought anything from Passon, but like everyone else, I would like one of those A855's!

Mike

Ghoste

I'd have to count myself as one of the ones who prefers it in an 18 spline.  Overkill?  Maybe but I like that a whole helluva lot better than replacing broken parts.

Cooter

Again, I've only broken one A833 23 spline trans. I'll admit, it WAS NOT due to the engines torque. I let the input bearing get a little loose and crushed the input/cluster gears.

I have seen 600 hp 477 big block Chevies break Muncie's, but A833's live.

Ghoste

I broke one.  It was a long time ago but I don't care to do it again.

Mike DC

Now that Passon's 5spd is being made, does anyone know the fate of his earlier offering, the improved OD 4spd gearset for the A-833?  (It drops right into an existing 4spd case but is better built than the 1970s factory deal.)  Is that still going to be available?  I actually prefer fewer gears on a big torque motor.

Cooter

Big torque motor really doesn't need a 3.09 first gear of  the early units, if they are still being produced that way.