News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering wheel slop adjustment...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, February 14, 2014, 12:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

So with steering wheel slop I decided to adjust my manual steering and tell me if I Doing it right.
1 loosen nut/screwdriver bolt
2. Relieve pressure with flat head screw
3. Tighten the input shaft bolt that goes into box.
4. With box wrench in nut/screwdriver setup tighten down flat (clockwise to tighten)head nut holding nut in place with box wrench.
5. Test drive for slop
6. Readjust for less sloppiness if needed.

It seems I have Eliminited a lot of the slop but it took me 6 times and my flat head nut is maxed out with bolt into the box.  If I can't get it any firmer does it mean my box is worn?

1974dodgecharger

Looks like i did it right.  I raised the vehicle and even slightest turn in steering wheel the wheel moves. 

I heard a rumor chrysler wanted some slop in the steering wheel so the box does not prematurely wear out, is this true?

fy469rtse

Is this a manual or power steering box , looks like your on the right track though
Search the threads on here for other low cost ways to improve the steering , handling

1974dodgecharger

Yeah manual....since my front wheels are up now to tackle the bearings, repack time.

fy469rtse

Take them out, rag in hand roll them in rag, turn the rollers in the rag , get rid of the old grease,
New grease in the palm pf your hand turn the bearing roll them against grease in the palm of your hand ,
Messy but packs them good

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 14, 2014, 05:51:51 AM
Take them out, rag in hand roll them in rag, turn the rollers in the rag , get rid of the old grease,
New grease in the palm pf your hand turn the bearing roll them against grease in the palm of your hand ,
Messy but packs them good

Thx, will do that in 3 hours once the kids are off to school.  :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

Looks like I need tie rods too.....I'll do bearings now tie rods later, damn.

Looks like I was compensating for bad tie rods when I had my slop in steering.

myk

Are you going to install the Hotchkis steering rods?

ODZKing

I believe 73 was the last year they used a rag-joint. But if you do have one, be sure to check it. Mine (73) was SHOT!
Here is what was left of it

See http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33354.msg1224973.html#msg1224973

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ODZKing on February 15, 2014, 01:29:03 PM
I believe 73 was the last year they used a rag-joint. But if you do have one, be sure to check it. Mine (73) was SHOT!
Here is what was left of it

See http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33354.msg1224973.html#msg1224973

HOLY SNAFU!!!

Alright I checked my bearings and WOW they were nice and tight and great the grease was still new since last time packed. I checked all my tie rods and had one bolt that was not tight, but luckily the cotton pin was in there or it would have gone off yes thats how loose it was.

As for the hotchkis tie rods, no I wont be doing that right now those are 330 bucks just for that set.  I can spend 300 elswhere right now im saving for the upper control arms, but to be honest the stock tie rods with busings are fine in my opinion for a drier and not a racer car. I will replace the busings set for the drag unit in the future since those bushings were shot.  NO slop noe more though...

Cooter

No, you will never get all of that 'slop' out. It's life with older cars. Careful how much you try and take out through the box.
it can lead to steering box binding and not returning to center. If looking for uber stiff steering like a newer car, might wanna consider a rack and pinion set up. Steering boxes are designed to have a certain amount of 'slop'.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 14, 2014, 12:59:05 AM
So with steering wheel slop I decided to adjust my manual steering and tell me if I Doing it right.
4. With box wrench in nut/screwdriver setup tighten down flat (clockwise to tighten)head nut holding nut in place with box wrench.
5. Test drive for slop

It seems I have Eliminited a lot of the slop but it took me 6 times and my flat head nut is maxed out with bolt into the box.  If I can't get it any firmer does it mean my box is worn?

Any pic's on doing this. I have never done it before. I have a 77 Power Wagon with Manual Steering and it is scary to drive.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on February 16, 2014, 11:23:08 AM
No, you will never get all of that 'slop' out. It's life with older cars. Careful how much you try and take out through the box.
it can lead to steering box binding and not returning to center. If looking for uber stiff steering like a newer car, might wanna consider a rack and pinion set up. Steering boxes are designed to have a certain amount of 'slop'.

copy that cooter yeah I read about how if one tries to get rid of too much slop in the steering I will ruin the box its normal for some play and I got that after the adjustment.  Before I had way too much play from center I could turn the steering wheel a quarter turn and no reaction from the wheels at all both ways.  AFter the adjustment its alot better now...that also the driving feels so much better before I had to 'pretend' to drive keeping turning the steering wheel until I felt movement....

1974dodgecharger

I will take pics later if you want, but generally there is a nut/screwdriver combo off to the left of the box (looking down) what you want to do is loosen the nut and then lossen the flat head by turning clockwise to relieve the pressure in the box.  Then tighten down the bolt where the shaft enters the box then go back to the nut/screwdriver and with a box end hold the bolt and tighten down the flat head give it half turns and tighten down with box end wrench.  Check the slop (its better with car on front jack stands) and retighten if you dont like it or theres too much play.  Then text drive it and recheck it again.....you want a little play just a tad. 

After this she will feel firmer on the road driving mine was so bad she would drift to the curve of the road it was scary even after an alignment she did this.  It was like the road would pull the car to the lopsided part of the road with a jerk like, very scary now she does not do it.
Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 16, 2014, 11:56:08 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 14, 2014, 12:59:05 AM
5. Test drive for slop

Any pic's on doing this. I have never done it before. I have a 77 Power Wagon with Manual Steering and it is scary to drive.

ACUDANUT

Sounds easy enough.  However easy never works for me. :brickwall:

ODZKing

Here is a pretty good shot of it before we installed anything under the hood. 
Mine happens to be an allen-key.  Loosen with a wrench and turn one way or the other.

1974dodgecharger

yeah the allen key version is the power steering verson from what I remember and manual has a flat head.