News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grill repair, has anyone tried this?

Started by Mopar Nut, February 13, 2014, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

"For most of the plastic on our grills its made of a type of ABS plastic, coincidental so are LEGOS!

Simply clean the parts to be glued back together very well after slightly roughing them up with some coarse sandpaper. If possible position it so that the part can be held in place with a clamp of some sort. Remember sometimes a simple rubberband will work wonders.

Take a Lego in the color of your choice, place it in GLASS container, and add some 100% PURE ACETONE. You will have to keep stirring it up every so often (like every 10 minutes) adding more acetone as it evaporates until the Lego is fully dissolved into gooey gel. If its too thin just wait for the acetone to evaporate out some until its like a gel like said earlier. Too think simply add a Lil more acetone and stir until satisfied with consistency. I use a Popsicle stick or whatever laying around to spread it out on both surfaces to be adhered together, put them to together and then I usually spread some out over the cracked area and beyond like a 1/2" or more in all directions to help strengthen it more. Allow to fully dry, usually overnight. You then can sand it smooth if you have any marks from applying it to make it look nicer. Also you lay piece of that Popsicle stick over the crack as a brace and them completely cover the stick with the melted Lego basically burying within the plastic to act a gusset.

It works great and once dried you would never know it was melted. I learned this trick from an old friend while restoring a vintage motorcycle and having a heck of a time finding a replace side cover for the battery. All the push in pegs to hold it on were busted. 2 years later and repeatedly taking it off and on it shows no sign of cracking again and feels just as strong if not stronger then the other side which was not broken and I didn't add anything for support. Just cleaned and smeared melted Lego over it.

Try it out sometime on some junk plastic to see for yourself. Also works great for the pesky ATV fender cracks and similar things.

Just a tip DO NOT TRY TO SPPEED UP DRYING WITH A HAIR DRYER OR HEAT GUN.
Acetone gives off deadly fumes when heated. I know a guy who almost died when he welded a part after cleaning it with acetone. After breathing the fumes he felt dizzy and before the night was over he was in the ICU with liver failure.

Use ALOT of ventilation when dealing with acetone."

A Charger repaired from Legos!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

Wow, thats one I would have never thought of.  :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

I value my lego collection far too much to turn it into a grille..... Then again, building a charger grille out of lego blocks.......  :scratchchin:

bill440rt

Here's a thread on Moparts with a step by step of the same process.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7260325&an=0&page=0#Post7260325

You don't have to sacrifice any Lego's, some simple ABS pipe found at the local Home Depot works just as well.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

Quote from: bill440rt on February 13, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7260325&an=0&page=0#Post7260325

You don't have to sacrifice any Lego's, some simple PVC pipe found at the local Home Depot works just as well.  :2thumbs:

IT IS NOT PVC------------IT IS ABS   :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bill440rt

Quote from: cdr on February 13, 2014, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 13, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

You don't have to sacrifice any Lego's, some simple PVC pipe found at the local Home Depot works just as well.  :2thumbs:

IT IS NOT PVC------------IT IS ABS   :yesnod:

EXACTLY!!!  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

This product works great, use it next time you're repairing plastic bumper cover, your Charger grille or pretty much any other plastic parts.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722